Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Microdiscectomy - Time, Pain, Surgery & Recovery

Comments

• JSLEIGHTYJJSLEIGHTY Posts: 3
    edited 07/15/2012 - 9:16 AM
    Hellooo people, I know its been a long time since I posted but I've have family issues and managed to get Mononucleosis which has had me in hospital for the last 4 weeks (Not nice). So ignoring the mononucleosis which i didn't realise could be so god damn destroying Im quite good.

Where to start....ok, so Can's and can'ts at month 10

Can't: Feel the incision site, feel any pain in my legs - Thats what I asked the surgeon for and he did it so I can't really complain. Do a forward roll (I know this sounds stupid but squahing into a small ball still proves beyond me due to fear nothing else)

Can: Tiny tiny amount of buttock tightness/annoyance. RUN (8miles - but I have done 18 but this included 50/50 walking. Stetch until my finger tips touch floor (before injury back of hands flat to floor). Cycle (I feel upward of 40km and I personally get cautious for the period sat not because of pain etc). Lift 20kg from the floor up to a shoulders. I only go 15kg overhead (I have however always been weak in the shoulder press). Swimming - never needed to stop except when I got cramp in may (I panicked as I hadn't had cramp for years and thought it was my back). SLEEP!!!

I know we all recover differently and I've just taken 2 steps back but my takeaway point this last month in hospital has been isometric exercises. These are basically contracting your muscles when laid in bed, floor or when walking. Google it so you get an idea of which ones suit your stage of recovery/pre-surgery. As we all know sciatic pain = less motivation = laying still = muscle wastage = difficulty recovery. Mimicking the actions we do when exercising wont make you stronger but will keep you at a certain level.

I hope everyones doing ok
  • Thank you so much for posting all of this JSLEIGHTY. I am 21 and have been dealing with back problems since my last surgery (see my history in my signature). It is very hard to accept that I am so young and already deal with limitations and pain even after surgeries. Sometimes I feel very alone and my back problems tend to damper my outlook on life since I enjoy riding horses, doing Crossfit, being outside, etc. and I face the reality of not being able to give a 100 percent in my activities and I face the possibility of not being able to do what I love in the future. Your recovery has had a lot of ups and downs like mine and it's comforting to know that someone else is going through the same thing. I appreciate your dedication to your recovery and physical training- it motivates me to keep going. I tend to get frustrated that I have symptoms and don't want to move forward because I fear I won't get better. I hope you keep posting! I should have kept track of my symptoms in detail like you after my surgery, but they become so normal that I always forget to.
    Question for you: Do you take anti inflammatories at all when you work out or get symptoms? Some people recommend it, but I fear that it will mask my symptoms and I will push myself farther because I don't feel any discomfort.
    Kate
    22 year old. Herniated L4-L5 and L5-S1 in December of 2008 in horse riding fall. All non-surgical methods failed. L4-L5 micro discectomy in Sept. 2010. Further herniation of L5-S1 disc in Nov. 2011 and had L5-S1 micro discectomy March 2012.
  • advertisement
  • Timka2003TTimka2003 Posts: 15
    edited 09/11/2015 - 9:17 PM
    hi, i have had my discectomy 3 weeks ago. my sciatica pain has definitely improved; however, i am having too much pain in my legs as well as on my heels. is there anybody who have had similar issues? how long does it take for the person to completely heal?

please click on link for helpful information
    welcome to spine-health
    liz -spine-health moderator
  • Hey.

I've had 4 of these microdiscectomy operations in a year. And 3 of those took place in November (last month).

Agony each day since last operation last Friday.

Looking for some advice. Dos and don't in terms of sleeping. Is it bad to sleep on soft bed?

On lots of painkillers. What lies ahead for me?
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    edited 12/07/2015 - 2:28 PM
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • Hi, im not sure if your even still on this site, but my husband is going through this and is weight the options of surgery due to reading too much of the horror stories. I was wondering if i can get an update on your condition over the last few years?

Thanks!
  • LizLiz Posts: 9,745
    hello stacey
    this is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so i am closing it.
    i suggest you create a new discussion using the link below

please click on the link for useful information

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.