Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Dog or no dog??

Giansilva21GGiansilva21 Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Depression and Coping
Hi all

I have read many things lately and one of them is that a dog can be great for someone with chronic pain. My husband is the one suffering and I did mention before about possibly getting a dog, he is at home every day, and I think the company and lovingness from a dog would really help the emotional side of things and depression.

Here's the thing though, I have 3 (quite, actually really) boisterous boys at home already, plus I work, plus am responsible for everything at home, plus all the drop off/pick ups from school, clubs, so would I be mad for even thinking about it? I also think a pet dog would be quite good for my boys too, things are quite hard for them sometimes as daddy always in pain, and mummy quite stressed and shouts quite a lot-their words not mine!!
Any thoughts??

Giovanni 34
Bad back for few years
Slip and fall Jan 2009- when really bad pain began, and bad scatica
L4l5 prolapse, multilevel abnormalities, disc herniation
Injections facet joint, nerve root, nerve block, Epidurals x loads of each
L4l5 decompression diseconomy - no change
Pain a lot worse as time gone on, awaiting doc app for poss fusion
advertisement

Comments

• For the moment I am going to put you aside ;)

Dogs are GREAT for depression. Trained right he/she can pick things up for your hubby and learn other things to be of help to him. I don't know how involved your hubbies injuries are?

My dog just knows when I am really hurting and knows how to lay beside me without hurting me more.

Plus I feel guilty and do things I other wise may not do, such as play ball, walks etc with him.

Your boys of course would love a dog!!! lol

Now to you. Are you NUTS???? :silly: Just kidding!

How old are your boys? Can you make a doggie chore chart so that they can help?

If you do decide to get a dog feel free to contact me. I have a super great resource person that help you decide what breed would be good for hubby and kids and still be able to take all the action that 3 boys will naturally give it :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • So, I do have a dog since my pain has been present. They are great for getting me walking, and making me smile. I know though your hands are already full. My suggestion would be avoid a puppy cause they are like literal babies. An older dog like 5 years would be trained hopefully, and can be easily found at local shelters. The one thing I was thinking even for myself after my two dogs are gone... is checking to see if I'm eligible for a working dog. I would look to your local Lion's Club...or whoever does it there and see if you could get a specialized trained dog specifically for the needs of your husband. May be an idea and for sure that dog would be well behaved, well lets hope :D
  • advertisement
  • No dog, go to the shelter and borrow one just for a week, hundreds of dogs, cats abandoned, commit every day to looking after it, to those boys it will be a toy just like a games machine and then the person with chronic pain or fusion will be fully dependable for the dogs welfare. A dog could live for 20 years chronic pain and that responsibility, a challenge for anyone.

That shouting may need some professional help as an indication of stress, which is understandable, my own three teenagers have lived through my pain and a product of the issues chronic pain brings to family life, I have had my moments. The romantic in me says get a dog, love the fun and joy then do bring, just for a bone or walk on the beach. My sister’s dog knew all my secrets and if he could type would probably post on here .....hide the keyboard !

To Benny the dog the best friend a man could have.
    Take care and welcome. John
  • Every house needs a dog, It helps teach kids responsibility also looking after the dog, cleaning up after the dog and walking the dog,

We had 2 dogs until my black lab died but we still have this one that my gf adopted and he is part of our family,

There are some shelters that are no kill so people take dogs in untill they find them a home, Not every dog is easy to handle so that would be a good way to take a dog in and see what 1 you feel would fit your needs the most,

Dogs are not much diferent then people with diferent personality so you take 1 in as a house guest and see if he takes to your family and if your family takes to the dog before making a decision,

Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Hiya
    Thanx for your reply. My boys are aged 9,7 and 4, so think they would be the right age to consider getting a dog, and the older two especially to help with the looking after of it.

There is a lot to consider, pros, cons and all that, but should we go ahead your advice would be much appreciated.

And as for me? Well my life is a lot of rushing,doing, and sorting so add a dog to the equation and how much more mad could it get!!

Silvana
  • advertisement
  • Hey

Thanx for reply. Totally agree with you about teaching kids responsibility and that, I grew up always having a dog and I have only fond memories. We are not going to rush into anything so maybe your idea is a good one.

(quick question, diff subject, am still new at this so bear with me, can I do one reply for all or do I reply to each person individually??)

Silvana
  • Hi and thanx for replying
    Although puppies sooo cute I think your idea about an older dog def a good one and is one we are going to be looking into. An already trained one would be most beneficial to myself and my husband, I have no idea if my hubby would qualify for a working dog but that too could be something I start to look into.

We have lots to think about! Wishing you well

Silvana
  • Hi John

We have a lot to think about, my boys are loud and nutty, but I have no doubt that if we did have a dog they would adore it love having it around. They are constantly playing outside so exercise and walks would not be an issue.

We are not thinking puppy, but an older trained dog as I think a puppy would be too much to handle!

I'm still thinking my hubby and boys and myself would benefit loads by having one around.
    Oh, and the shouting? Maybe I exaggerated, maybe it's more of a nagging, come moaning, come does anyone in this house listen to me kind of thing!!

Regards

Silvana
  • :D Hi John

We have a lot to think about, my boys are loud and nutty, but I have no doubt that if we did have a dog they would adore it love having it around. They are constantly playing outside so exercise and walks would not be an issue.

We are not thinking puppy, but an older trained dog as I think a puppy would be too much to handle!

I'm still thinking my hubby and boys and myself would benefit loads by having one around.
    Oh, and the shouting? Maybe I exaggerated, maybe it's more of a nagging, come moaning, come does anyone in this house listen to me kind of thing!!

Regards

Silvana
  • Silvana - Most just got to the bottom of your thread and type a post and then click on post comment instead of the reply button :)

I will get you hook up with the dog person I told you about ASAP. If you don't get a PM (private message)from me by Sunday PLEASE send me one (right under my user name) reminding me. I have the best of intentions but a bad memory ;)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
advertisement