Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

What decision do you regret

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Chronic Pain
What decision to you regret most in your long battle with chronic pain?
I've made many! But my biggest regret was to listen to my family, with no medical knowledge. Telling me not to get the pain pump after the S.C.S. didn't work for me as well as I had hoped.
You see, I'm SO DONE WITH PAIN!!! It wears you down so much. And I believe the oral pain med are far worse on your organs than a pump that uses far less drugs, with better results on less medication. Because it is targeted right where you need it with just the right amount of drugs. (with adjustments once in a while.) And it's idiot proof. No counting out meds. No wondering if you took a dose or just think you might have. No setting the alarm clock to wake you in the middle of the night. To take your med, so you don't wake up already behind the 8 ball. @)
Well that's just one of many. But I think it's at the top of the list!
Jim :?
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!

• First a tad off subject - Jim why can't you get the PP now after realizing it was a mistake not to?

1. I regret not having back surgery when I was 13 yrs old and was told I had a bad case of scoliosis and needed surgery. All I heard was a 1/2 body cast for at least 3 months. My foster parents let it be my choice (dumb a*s!)

2. Then again when I had a car wreck at age 26. A few disks "blew out" and they wanted to go in and fix them. I was a divorced mom of a 5 yr old whose bio dad was worthless & felt I had no one to care for her (I really did I just used that as an excuse)

3. Not last by any means but probably the BIGGEST regret it what I chose to do as my living for the past 27+ yrs Commercial Cleaning Biz. Talk about dumb! I just did not think my back was THAT bad and by the time I did I already had a ton of bills to pay and no chance to return to school.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I think my biggest regret is falling on that damn lawnmower in the first place! Perhaps it's the product of being a single person who has taken care of themselves since about 18 and now being 57, but I was very pro-active in my care. My family gave me a lot of the "oh it can't be that bad; you can't fix every problem with surgery; you complain too much" stuff. After a while I didn't even talk with them about it. After the first little palliative attempts to control my pain didn't work, I found myself a very competent surgeon at a research hospital and went through a hellish surgery (well, two in fact). I'm not sorry I did it. I'm sorry I fell, sorry for the whole experience, but grateful that I came out of it relatively intact for an old witch. ;)
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • advertisement
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Ms Humpty. But I guess I always figured that something would work for me. And I wouldn't need pain meds anymore. What an Idiot! :O
    Isteller, my fist surgery was the 3 level 360, anterior, posterior fusion with my own bone graft from my hip. :''(
    That was the most hellish surgery that I've had. and didn't think there was anything that could ever be as bad as that one. And I was right! Untill this one! This one was just as bad. But being 10 yrs. older and totally out of shape. This one has taken the place as the worst. image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" />
    But every time I see your signature line and that 3 level 360. I think to myself, THAT WOMEN HAS BEEN TO HELL AND BACK!!! :jawdrop:
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I regret peeping into the bathroom because my 3 year old was in there for more than 30 minutes. After I opened the door, she slammed it into my face. I think this is what pushed me over the edge. I was seeing floaters and worried about my eyes instead of my neck! I only went to see an eye doctor and not an orthopedic! :<
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Yes, you know the pain of the 360 three-level fusion. And, I have to tell you, I think it will be a cold day in hell before they get me back into the hospital for another back surgery of any kind, so I can only imagine what you're going through. I had my share of smaller procedures before the fusion, but for some reason, about a year ago, I got an email saying I needed to take a bunch of stuff out of my signature. I see a lot of folks who have, a lot of folks who haven't, but I can't see it makes any difference except to the new person who thought were were all having a competition! I just pray I never do anything else to my spine because I still have nightmares of being in the hospital, screaming my fool head off in pain, and having the nurse shut out the light and shut the door -- leaving me alone in my misery. I do not, under any circumstances, ever want to go there again!

I forgot to say my fusion was done with the hardware and then dowels of cadaver bone, but spackled into place with BMP and my own bone marrow, so yes, they drilled into my hip and sucked out some marrow. That was hugely painful, so I can imagine going in and chipping off some bone has to be equally or even more painful. May none of us ever have to go through this again.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • advertisement
  • We have all done things to regret but also things to be grateful we did.

But more important is the acknowledgement that in reality it is so little what we can control that I can say we are almost at mercy of what life brings to us.

Being borne with a spine prone to trouble, absolutely uncontrollable. Developing a herniated disc despite being young, thing, and not performing weight lifting activities, absolutely uncontrollable. Developing post op epidural fibrosis 20 years after surgery despite being thin, eating right, not drinking, not smoking, exercising, absolutely uncontrollable.

So, just to let things pass by... That's all I can do.

• I regret ever gering married! Does that count?
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • =)) Alex!

I regret not going to get another Hoyer lift when I had that 600lb patient that destroyed my back for good. The one we had on our floor was broken that day and instead of going to find another one, I decided to just gather up several other people and try to move the patient manually.

REALLY bad idea. :(
  • I should have had a spinal fusion from the get go, not a laminectomy discetomy, whupich resulted in a dural leak, and then another major surgery , new surgeon.. No longer trusted the other one who forgot to tell me he thought I would need a fusion within a year anyway! Two major surgeries in two years is really tough..

Also tolerating a very non supportive soon to be ex spouse.. For way too long...and not putting my own health and well being as being of prime importance, so better self care sooner, But I have made great progress in that area.

Not creating an integrative personalized health plan until the last 6 months but doing it now and it the only thing that has really worked for my severe chronic pain!

Being more compassionate wi myself, asking for helping, letting go of doing all, and being wonder woman!

It is all a work in progress, and I also see this chronic pain as a huge opportunity for learning, giving back to others, and personal growth...
  • I would have made a better bloodline selection. Too many anchestors in my tree with bad backs.

Never would have jumped out of so many airplanes when I thought I was a superman in my 30's and 40's.

Would have responded to surgical intervention recommendations sooner - much sooner, like 20 years sooner.

Post fusion surgery I would have never ever never ever never ever bent, lifted or twisted. My bad.
This discussion has been closed.