Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

What decision do you regret

advertisement

Comments

• I would have been much more careful in selecting my first surgeon!
    Dec10 Fusion due to grade 2 spondylolisthesis and sciatica. L5/S1. Failed.
    Aug11 Hardware Removal, Dural Tear, Foot Drop
    Dec11 Salvage fusion at same place. Also a failure.
    August 2012 Spinal cord stimulator
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,771
    though I think I have too many decisions that I have regretted over the years when it came to my medical situation.

I can't come up with one single item that I regret, but I can say without a doubt that I have regretted that I did NOT do the following after surgery:

- Adhere to Limitations and Restrictions
    - Keep up with approved exercise programs
    - Take care in the way I worked
    - and much more

From my early 20's until my late 40's, I think I tried either to excuse, avoid or deny so many of my spinal problems.

Perhaps if I had done better, I wouldn't have had so many follow on problems
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • some small affairs. I will regret it for times. such as buying an shirt or shoes. but in big affairs , I won't regret what I have make. and I will stick it to the end.
  • Well said Ron - my sentiments exactly!
    SUE
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,789
    Mulligan

My life for the past 15 or so years?

Yeah ... thats a start

Mulligan

D

• advertisement
  • Giving up disability before without really sitting down and weighing pros and cons of returning to work and the possibility my new problems were progressing.

A mulligan sounds nice. Who would ever imagine a second of ur life would have consequences that may remain until I'm dead. Wow, it's almost unreal .
    Herniated T6-7, multiple herniations in cervical, tears in T5-T8. Stenois at levels and smorls nodes from thoracic thru lumbar
  • Hi, I have been trying to find out about hardware removal and what has happened after removal on so many sites and I just happened to stumble on this one for which I am thankful.

March 2010-had spinal fusion L4-L5; subsequently developed a staph infection in the right side incision; hardware. PICC line for 6 weeks with antibiotics. Have had continuous low grade fevers but white count and CED rate normal. Have continuous pain on right side, original surgery was to help the pain on the left. Have been on and off oral pain meds for three years.

My doctor and I decided we should remove the hardware at the two year mark and it is scheduled for March 20. I have good bone growth in the area. I am really scared as the first surgery and recovery nearly killed me, weakness, weight loss, and pain.

Did you have a good experience with the removal of your hardware? Was it a long surgery? How long were you in the hospital? How are you feeling now?

My doctor feels there may be some residual staph around the hardware on the right even though other than low grade fevers, all of my tests show there is no infection. My husband is supportive but other family members do not want me to have this done. So, I told them I had postponed but will go ahead anyway.

Scared and in pain.
  • i was told after my last fusion that i could not do a lot of things. i was told by my district that i had to attend a workshop for a week to learn a new teaching technique. i said i just had surgery and could not do much. they just blew me off and i did not become more agressive and refuse to do the workshop. i did and as a result my back has been worse than it would have been if i refused to do the workshop. we don't like to rock the boat including me. it did not make a difference because the district still treats me like ca ca
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,746
    I know what you mean Jon. I know it didn't make a difference. But if you would have "rocked the boat" Now that would have made a difference.
    It's a shame, but some times you have to do things and just laugh all of the way to the bank. :))( Or, cry all the way to the bank, as the case might be! :''(
    They don't give a crap if hurts or not! ~X(
    Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • i have always tried to live my life without regret or some sort of woulda, coulda, shoulda. That has really changed over the past 5 years.

1. I would have pressed the military for a real problem, truly documented, with proper tests and treatments documented in my records.

2. I would have not accepted medical separation from the military rather, I would have pressed for the proper passage of medical retirement.

3. I would have pressed my superiors to recognize what I had done to save those lives rather than just blow-off my problems with a "get over it" position.

4. I would have sought treatment for PTSD while still in the military so that I would not have to fight the VA for recognition of the problem.

5. I would have stayed with the VA processes for the 20 years rather than get frustrated and go to private physicians for treatment. I would have done private in tandem with VA so that it was documented by the VA.

6. I would have demanded the proper studies (MRI, CT, and neuro-studies) rather than a xray, a pill, and a pat on the head.

7. I would have demanded proper treatment, proper meds and rehab rather than self-treatment with alcohol.

8. I would have gone with a fusion once everything else failed rather than a lamenectomy which failed, slipped, and did more damage prior to the fusion 4 months later.

9. I would have sought mental and physical treatment through the VA faster when other parts of my spine began to fail. I would have made sure the VA was engaged holistically.

10. I would have followed my recovery needs rather than continuing to push myself to pain and failure resulting in more drinking and meds, resulting in destroying my career of 15+ years.

Finally, I would have re-engaged with my family much sooner, helping them grow, meet their needs, and accomplish their dreams.

I do not regret my life, I am just disappointed with the way it has progressed. Today I am trying to live... it is a new goal for 2012 as I spent 2009-2011 just sitting, waiting,, and wanting to die.

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.