Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

? WHAT HOBBIES do you have that doesn't increase your pain ??

SueDSSueD Posts: 545
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:01 AM in Chronic Pain
I do understand that we all have good and bad days as far as chronic pain goes, but because recovery from the last surgery seems to be taking so long, I'm also trying to cope with boredom (|:

In the past, I have relied on being able to work - which totally consumed my days and left me too exhausted and in pain to do anything in the evening anyway. But I haven't worked since September and although I've got a works meeting next Friday, I am still not sure if I'll be allowed back or not (I do hope so).

To give you an idea, a couple of my hobbies are:

Photography - I even had my own darkroom years ago where I'd develop and print my own b & w film images. I really loved it, seeing the image magically appear on the page was always exciting, albeit very solitary. I don't do it any more because there's too much bending involved that it's just too painful now. I have since changed to digital, but haven't been out for quite a while because the weather here in the UK is very poor and I'm still recovering from surgery. Hopefully I can get back into this when the better weather arrives.

Art - I actually tried last week to start painting again and whilst I can stand up, using a tall metal easel, I didn't realise how standing in one position for too long would adversely affect my back. I know I should have taken breaks and walked about more often but got so engrossed that 3 hours just flew by. For the following couple of days I couldn't do any because of my increased back pain, which was disappointing. Still, at least I CAN do this, I'll just have to pace myself and perhaps do a little less at each session. I'm hoping next week to do a little each day if I can.

Ha! I'd like to also say that 'retail therapy' would be a perfect hobby for me (isn't this true for every female?), as the walking involved can only be a good thing for my back, but sadly not being at work right now has ruled this one out :(

So, I was just curious to find out what, if anything, other people on Spine Health thoroughly enjoy doing that does not increase your pain?

I may pick up some ideas from you that I might not have thought about otherwise. I'd really be interested to read any comments you have. Thanks.

SUE
2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
advertisement

Comments

• Glad to see there's another "artist" on the forum! I haven't done any art in a while, but I have picked up knitting. This winter I went crazy and knitted 4 scarves, 3 hats, 2 pairs of leg warmers. I'm hoping to make an infinity scarf next. Have you considered painting sitting down or doing watercolors or drawing in your recliner? In my case, I feel best when I'm moving around, so now that the weather's better, I am outside more.

Hope your recovery picks up once the weather warms up!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • I love to read, do jigsaw puzzles, and word game puzzles.
  • advertisement
  • I also paint, plus I crochet, scrapbook and I enjoy reading. I just opened up a store on Etsy to try and sell my art, blankets, etc. I figured I might as well, art and crafting keeps me sane so I might as well try to make some money with it.

i have never been able to paint with an easel, even before I got hurt. When I paint, or even handwrite, I do it at a 45 degree angle. I've tried to do it the proper way, it just doesn't work for me. I thought I saw short easels in Micheal's to go on top of desks or tables, it might make it less painfull for you to paint.
  • don't know if it's majorly a canadian thing, but i have been collecting hockey cards for years, and years ....
  • I have developed a desire to read for pleasure. For the past 60 years I detested reading because it was forced on me by school teachers. Now it has become a mental escape.

Clive Cussler is my favorite author. I average one novel every two weeks. I bought one back in September and laid down to begin reading and the story seemed familiar. I sorted through my pile of "already read" books and there it was. So I have two copies of the same book. I then typed up a list of all the books I have read. Keeps me from buying a second copy and it showed me just how many I have read. I have read more in this first year of fusion recovery than I have in the past 20 years! My teachers would be proud of me, but they are all now 120 years old!

I have even toyed with the idea of writing. Actually, I did coauthor a book (technical book about safety, etc.) ten years ago, so I know the process. Computers make it so easy. Time was the limiting factor - now it is not. Maybe I could compose an interesting story line about a spiney who lives a thrilling life. Any ideas?
  • advertisement
  • to see what you all get up to and enjoy doing.

Hi Jim - that author is one of my husband's favourites too. I believe he has read all of them and, when he's finished, they go to my sister-in-law and then 'do the rounds'. I've never read a Cussler book as they sound too invovled for me. I like easy reading with few characters, so I don't get too confused (it doesn't take much!)

Thanks for your replies.
    SUE
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • I'm an avid reader also, but love gaming as well. I'm a member of Big Fish Games and love their hidden object games - it keeps my mind going, but is easy on the body. Especially if it's a bad weather day or my back is hurting (yes, standing is horrible and can lay you out for days when done too much - been there, done that), I'll lay back slightly in my recliner, put my laptop on my lap and get engrossed in a good game. Those type of games usually come with puzzles, too.

Also, in case you didn't know, you can sell your digital photography on istockphoto.com. If you go there, you can see what types sell the most and try to sell some of your photos there. They may need to be manipulated a bit, but it might be a source of a little extra income, not a full-time job income, but a few extra dollars.

Cath
  • That's one of my favorite hobbies.. Actually I love to play guitar, have several accoustic and electric and the first Ibanez I bought at the age of 17, on a payment plan, right after I got the boot and moved to the ghetto,. It is in mint condition, and a real beauty. My son gets to play it, and myself, that's it! I bet it's worth a small fortune, inlaid gold and pearl, and one of the few Ibanez's that was made with teak wood. Let me see if I can find a pic to post...
    http://www.guitarsushi.com/item/guitar/electric/ibanez/performer/1978_ibanez_performer_pf400/images/00050_1978_ibanez_performer_pf400_super70_g785762_img_18.jpg

I also love to oil paint mountains, trees, etc, and love to draw and color. Don't have time for much of that tho - maybe upon retirement...
  • My newest Ibanez, this one is only a couple years old. My son's friend borrowed it for his band competion at school - he's not too bad on it huh??!!

• I like the look of your guitar and it sounds pretty good too! Very "Hendrix-esque" I thought.
    SUE
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.