Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

11 Weeks Post AxialIF Fusion with Severe Pain

CAH315CCAH315 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I am 11 weeks post-op. Most of my problems occur at night while I am trying to sleep. There is a deep pain in my lower back and hip region. It at times generates into my upper front thighs. It is terrible! It takes my breath away and I have to have my husband help me out of bed. Even the method of rolling out of bed doesn't work.
The NS's PA is claiming that it is muscular. I am taking Soma before bed, as well as pennsaid (they have also tried flector patches and hydrocodone) nothing is working for this deep pain. I am at such a loss and I do not know what to do anymore.
I haven't been able to see my NS since he cut into me. It is always his PA's. The NS is always in surgery or out of the office. I am in PT 3x weekly for an hour each time. I almost feel like I need a whole new team of Dr's, but that just seems so unfair to have to explain myself to a whole new team of Dr's.
Does anyone else have this extreme deep pain? I also have the popping noise, which sounds like a screw is popping when I move my legs certain ways.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi,

I experienced some pain like that after my PLIF. I went back to work at 11 weeks post op and I think my nighttime hip pain started then. I could only sleep on one side and that seemed to make that hip hurt even more. I also struggled with the log-roll. Not so much the actual roll but I remember having to take several attempts to go from horizontal to sitting - it was really painful.

My back popped a few times - I was told it was tendons or something moving.

It took until about 6 months post op before I had a brief spell of pain free sleeping.

Good luck.
  • Thank you so much for your replies. I am sorry I haven't been online as much as I usually am so I haven't gotten a chance to reply.
    I have found that if I place two pillows under my knees and lay on my back at night that it alleviates a bit of the pain, not all of it, but every bit helps as I am sure you all know.
    I have to say that I feel I find more useful information from fellow patients online then I do Doctors. It is obviously a hardware issue and not a muscular issue as they thought. It's pointless to call their office so i will continue to wait it out and see if it heals over time. Which I would think it will. Or I am at least hopeful it will. I don't want to regret this decision the rest of my life.
    My 6 month checkup is in June, should I be getting only the L-Spine x-rays at that time? I would think they would want a more accurate picture of what is going on inside there? Maybe an MRI?
  • advertisement
  • I am looking at getting the Axialif L5-S1 and frankly have not heard anything that great about it in these blogs. It seems like a great alternative because it's less evasive and the recovery time is expected to be so much shorter the the traditional fusions.

Did you have a single or a double? and what kind of pain were you in before the surgery?

Thanks I hope things are going well for you now.
  • I am looking at getting the Axialif L5-S1 and frankly have not heard anything that great about it in these blogs. It seems like a great alternative because it's less evasive and the recovery time is expected to be so much shorter the the traditional fusions.

Did you have a single or a double? and what kind of pain were you in before the surgery?

Thanks I hope things are going well for you now.
  • advertisement
  • Hello REC. Sorry to hear that it has come to the point that you have to consider having the Axialif procedure. I guess when it comes down to it you really have to consider most people don't come online to rave about how wonderful the outcome of their procedures were ya know? Anyhow :). I would say before surgery I was at a constant 6 on the pain scale with spikes to a number completely off the chart. As a mother of a very active little guy being in constant pain wasn't an option and I was looking for any way out. The axialif fusion is definitely sold as one of the least invasive and better procedures to have and I am sure there are a lot of people that have had great success with it, it just was not me, not to this point at least. At this point, where I stand right now, I am worse then I was before the procedure. The neurosurgeon is one of the best neurosurgeons and has SEVERAL successful procedures under his belt, but from what my pain management doctor and radiologist read on the report it seems the hardware is not sitting in properly it is protruding too far out of the bone and is sitting on nerves and a major nerve and is causing nerve damage. I have to have a CT scan done, I am just waiting on insurance approval. My surgery was 12/27/11. It was L4-S1 only. He used the rod and screws to stabilize the rod. He did a partial laminectomy. I hope this helped in some way. Tha I you so much for checking in and I wish you well. Keep in touch.
advertisement