Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Frustration

XCSwimmer90XXCSwimmer90 Posts: 20
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Chronic Pain
I'm so frustrated right now.

Ever since I started swimming again my pain is has been worse, not surprisingly. The doctor told me she wanted me to be active. In that I can't run, swimming is really the only thing I can do. My pain has not really been diagnosed. I've had almost every test in the book, with no results.

The pain has been bad- really bad. All my doctor will do is prescribe me muscle relaxers which pretty much soley works on the concept of sedation. I can't be comatose if I have 6 hours of school every day and two 5 hr internships every week. I can't take it before I go to bed and no be able to wake up the next morning. Even if I take the meds repeatedly for a week its like I still don't get used to them. They don't relieve my pain and just make me super tired, so what's the point of taking them.

I'm 21 years old and have been in pain for almost exactly 6 years. In these 6 years, even with treatment, my pain level has not been improved. I'm in so much pain I was in so much pain after sitting just 30min that I was literally sweating in an air-conditioned room and my teacher (who knows nothing of my condition) asked if I was ok because I looked "peaked".

Everytime I call the doctor (about every 2 weeks at this point, I like to give every medication a chance) she takes 2 days to get back to me. This is already my 3rd back doctor.

Today is a day where I just want to give up. I'm done. I don't know what that means, but I've reached my boiling point. I just feel like there is no one and nothing that can help me.
advertisement

Comments

• i too like swimming and its my chosen route to fitness after my recent ALIF .but like you i also hurt big time after even during swimming .and i hate it .but the only advice i was given was to STICK AT IT .i am older than you {45 nearly 46} and the ALIF was my 3rd operation .i know its bloody awful but try to keep going but don't over do it .{PS i had to be helped out of the pool today as my back locked up on me as i tried to get up the walk in stairs ]
    tony{UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • i too like swimming and its my chosen route to fitness after my recent ALIF .but like you i also hurt big time after even during swimming .and i hate it .but the only advice i was given was to STICK AT IT .i am older than you {45 nearly 46} and the ALIF was my 3rd operation .i know its bloody awful but try to keep going but don't over do it .{PS i had to be helped out of the pool today as my back locked up on me as i tried to get up the walk in stairs ]
    tony{UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • advertisement
  • Did you end up not trying the Cymbalta?

Also...there are some muscle relaxers that are more or less sedating than others.

I have used both Robaxin and Skelaxin and neither of those made me sleepy/groggy at all...

So maybe you can see if they will let you try either of these?

With regards to the swimming....are you trying to swim like you used to? As in very fast or too hard? With aqua therapy....it's meant to be very soothing and used to just keep you loose but not so straining that you feel worse afterwards.

I'm sorry that you are hurting so much and are having trouble getting answers...

I'm trying to remember on your other threads what are the latest tests you have done like MRI or CTScans? And what they think is causing your pain?

• If you've had all the tests, with no results, what are they suggesting to investigate/test next?

There must be something that's causing the pain and until your health professionals know what it is, how can they provide the right medications?

Are you able to get further opinions or different tests? I hope so.
    SUE
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Dude I feel like I am in a similar situation as you. I've had an MRI, EMG, and I've seen all types of western medicine practices as well as alternatives (massage, chiropractic, acupuncture) and nothing has seemed to help. I'm petty sure my chiropractor made it worse cause I used to only have pain in my left leg and now it's taken over my entire lower body practically. I don't know what to do, and although I believe that one's mentality can affect pain, I dont think it's the entirety because pain is pain. I am 24 now and it's been a little over a year. I cant sit very long so I've dropped out of school and I can't find a job I can handle so I dont really feel like I am productive and happy.

If you ever want to talk more about your issue I'd be down to listen. Hope you find your way.
  • advertisement
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.