Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Spinal Fusion (3 level), PLIF, in 9 Hours!

XenaPortlandXXenaPortland Posts: 33
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:01 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone,

Here I am the night before the biggest surgery of my life and I am feeling so very strange. I feel scared, excited, jittery, calm, worried, and many other things all at the same time. I'm sure many others at this site can relate to the jumble of emotions before back surgery.

I think was scares me the most is how much I'm going to need other to do basic things. I am a mom and I take care of other people, not the other way around! I am so unused to having other people take care of me, and it is very worrisome to be in the position of needing others, especially for the months it is going to take to recover from this.

I can't help but wonder when they are going to get tired of me complaining and talking about my back? How long before the hobbling girl in pain all the time becomes someone they avoid at all costs? In my head I don't think my kids or friends feel that way about me, but maybe I'm a little insecure about being valued the same way I value others.

I'm going to promise to try my best to NOT talk about my back all the time after this surgery. I don't want to become a one-dimensional person that is only "that woman with back problems". I'm so much more than that, and I can't let this recovery and all the pain that is coming starting tomorrow define the rest of my life.

Thanks for letting me worry at you all :)

- Xena
advertisement

Comments

• The night before the surgery is rough. There are so many emotions.

I struggled with people helping me. Fortunately for me, I recovered very quickly. Had same levels as you and within 3 months was feeling great. The hardest part for me was the frustration of not being able to do certain things for myself. My family was really good about not being overbearing with trying to do things for me, yet being there if I needed them. I think my wanting my independance and not being a burden on them is what helped me to recover so quickly. Just my theory.

Good luck!

-Laurie
  • Sorry I don't have much inspiring things to say but you will do great. Sorry, all the drugs from my surgery yesterday is effecting my brain :-)

My thoughts are with you,
    Robin
  • advertisement
  • LizLiz Posts: 8,913
    I hope your surgery goes well Xena, wishing you a speedy recovery

Liz

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • i wasn't given time to worry for my ALIF because i was supposed to go in hospital the day before the operation ..unfortunately the hospital was full .so i got to spend another night at home .but the following day i had to go in COLD to hospital and just go almost straight to theater ..it was a very strange feeling to wake up on my recliner that morning but wake up a few hours later in the worst pain ever in a hospital ..very strange ......i hope all goes well for you ..you are young and other wise fit ..so lets hope for a good result
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Good Morning Xena! I will be thinking about you all day today. God be with you and He will get you through this. Two weeks from right now I will be heading to the OR. Please post when you can to let us know how you are doing. This is the beginning of a new and better life for you. Praise God!!
  • advertisement
  • Like Robin I'm a little dopey from all the meds, but I wanted everyone to know I made it through surgery and am doing ok : ). I had a little heart trouble during, which is worrisome, but otherwise ok! I will write more in a few days.

Hugs,
    Xena
  • Good to see you on here so soon after your surgery Robin! I wish you the best in your recovery.
    Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• So happy that your surgery went well Xena!

I wish you a speedy recovery. I too have kids and I am going to need surgery that I am totally terrified of. My youngest is a 6 month old baby boy so I can TOTALLY relate to you wanting to get back to caring for them asap. And you will.

Huge hugs.
    Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• Hi Xena, I have been thinking about you constantly. I am so happy your surgery is over. Please keep us posted on your recovery. God is good!!!!
  • Glad it is over. Have a speedy recovery (there is no such thing tho!!) and keep us posted.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
advertisement