Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

New Spiney - Hi!

Ms PixieMMs Pixie Posts: 154
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi All,

New to the community as a member, and thought I introduce myself.

Im Vic, 39 years old, martied, no kids. Consider myself a "Spiney" since about 5 years back.
Was in a car accident when I was younger and probably got a whiplash that went undiagnosed at the time.
Had neck and shoulder problems since then but nothing serious.

In 2007 I had my first real flare-up, where I new something was "off" and very different from before. Serious pain and stiffness.
Had MRI, X-rays and diagnosed with Osteoarthritis and 2 bulging discs,
C4 - C5 and C5 - C6.

5 years later the diagnosis has now expanded to Radiculopathy left side C5 and C6, as well as Spinal Stenosis, more bone spurs than I started out with. Discs are still bulging.

Im up for ACDF in a month or so, surgery will be booked this Monday!
Been through all the conservative treatment and although some of it controls the pain for a month or two, pain always come back and the arm is getting weaker.

Not psyched about surgery, but my life now is pain, pain narcotics and a lot of time in bed with ice packs.

Thanks for welcoming me, Im glad to be part of such a nice community!
Been lurking here for a while, soaking up all the info - you guys are so nice and there is so much knowledge and support here!

/ Vic
Cause: car accident & genetics
Effect: herniations C4-7, stenosis, osteoarthritis, myelopathy, neuropathy
Non-invasive Treatment: everything under the sun
Invasive Treatment: 2 level ACDF, C5 & C6, May 2012
Moving Forward: SCS
advertisement

Comments

• hi Vic!! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i want to wish you all the best on your upcoming surgery!! i know you will have an excellent recovery!! be sure and stop by the forum during your recovery, the forum can make a long day by a lot faster.we are here on those days you are smiling and those you feel the need to vent!! please be sure and follow the doctor's orders to the letter. this is so important to your recovery and a pain free outcome!! good luck once again! also, check out the "Back and Neck Surgery forum" for more input on surgery!! Jenny :)
  • Thank you for the warm welcome, it means soo much! Im on my 6th week of a painful flare-up and Im drained... Surgery will be booked Monday and Im nervous, at the same time hopeful.
    I just want to rid the worst pain and get my left arm back, Im not asking for much...
    My life has changed so much.
  • advertisement

• Sorry that you needed to join us, but welcome to our gang.

Many of us know how scary it is to be facing spinal surgery. I think that most of us would say that the relief of being on the recovery side of surgery is wonderful. A lot of us even say that the anticipation of it was worse than the actual surgery. I felt that.

I think I will be facing cervical surgery too.

I have seen 4 neurosurgeons and 2 have said I should have surgery now and the other 2 say we should wait. I have a follow up appointment in April to see if they say to still wait or if it is now time. It is so confusing with the different opinions that we get. They all say that I will need surgery at some point as I have compression of the cord, which is being squashed.

Let us know when you have a date and do ask any questions you may think of. There are lots of friendly people here who will gladly share their experiences.

• Welcome to Spine-Health.

I can very much relate to what you're going through. I had a serious car accident 30 years ago and the onset of problems from that didn't appear until 2008. It started with muscle spasm and then arm problems with tingling in my right arm 24/7 and weakness in my left arm that got so bad I couldn't lift a glass of ice water.

Obviously, I went through all the normal channels, my PCP, x-rays, MRI, PT and finally on to a surgeon. My cervical spine was calapsing on itself and I ended up with a 3-lvl ACDF.

Although I have problems above my fusion (not caused by the fusion, though), it was the best thing I did and when I woke up from surgery, all the arm symptoms were gone. The muscle spasms took a while to settle down however, but I continue to have them due to my other problems. But if I didn't have those, then I'm positive I'd be fine now.

Plan on being prepared for your recovery by having a "station" (mine was a recliner in the living room) with a table to hold my stuff. A grabber comes in very handy, as your restrictions will include to BLT (bending, lifting, twisting). Having something to keep your mind busy is important too, as you'll have a tendency to do things you shouldn't on days when you feel good during your recovery.

I wish you luck in you surgery and if you have confidence in your surgeon, that's one of the most important things.

Take care and keep us posted.
    Cath
  • Hi Vic,

Glad you quit lurking and decided to join us :))( . Just kidding. I can only reiterate what my other Spiney Friends have said. Welcome Aboard :H Great website and great people. Someone always here to listen to and talk to, as much as typing allows that :? .

I had a 2 level ACDF C5/6 & C6/7 in July 2009. I, too, was not thrilled about having it done, but was at a point with level 8 - 10 pain every day, along with arthritic changes to my spinal column in that area, that I had no choice. After my surgery I remember my pain being about 60% gone ... and that's what my NS had told me, based on what he had to do. Click on "Rassy's Story" for my complete Pain Resume. I know too well about the pain meds, the ice packs, and the time in bed. Still use them when I have bad flare up days.

Again, welcome to our jungle :D . If you can get any degree of relief of pain from the surgery, consider it a success. I am crossing my fingers for you that it is LOTS of degrees! Please keep us posted on your situation. We are ALL here rooting for you. Stay strong.
    Rassy

Rassy's Story
    Under House Arrest Without the Ankle Bracelet :-)
    The remarks I make are strictly my own based on my personal experiences.
  • advertisement
  • Thanks for the warm welcome guys - this is really one truly nice warm community!

My surgery got booked today! If no emergency cases come up, I am scheduled for Monday May 7th. That's almost exactly a month from now (wow, help).
    Im a little bit freaked out, but it was more anxiety before I had decided to take the plunge.
    I was really freakin out and came up with any excuse in the book as to why surgery would be a really bad idea, despite everyone, including 2 spine surgeons told me differently. I could not stop obsessing about it.

Now, when Im ready and booked, I look forward to it in a weird way. That tells me I have made the right decision.
    I know recovery might get really tough at times, but this is tough too!
    I look forward to the possibility of getting better and being able to do things I have not done in years, hopefully!

It will be a 2 level ACDF (C5-C7) by spine fellow at a well-known big city teaching hospital, I have trust in him and cant wait to get over to the other side.
    And by that I mean Recovery side, the brighter one!

See you in Surgery forum.

/ Vic
  • Hi Vic,

Just wanted wish you the best for your upcoming "date". Got my fingers crossed and will be praying that all goes smoothly for you before, during, and after your surgery. We all here pulling for you. Just remember that. Lots of us here been there and done that. Yes, you are right. Might be some rough days ahead, but that's what we are here for ... to help you through those rough times. We want to hear the good, too!!! Your positive attitude will help you zip right on through. Take care, stay strong. and keep us posted.
    Rassy

Rassy's Story
    Under House Arrest Without the Ankle Bracelet :-)
    The remarks I make are strictly my own based on my personal experiences.
  • Congrats on getting your surgery scheduled. Having trust in your surgeon is so very important and I'm glad you do.

If you have anxiety problems leading up to surgery, you can ask your surgeon for something to calm your nerves leading up to surgery, like Xanax. Mine gave me prescriptions before both of my surgeries and I was so nervous and they helped.

Anyway, glad you've made the right decision and it'll be here before you know it and then you'll be on to recovery. I hope you feel immediate relief upon waking up like most of us did after our surgeries.

Take care,
    Cath
    My anxiety will probably be through the roof the night before, as well as the morning of, they might have to tie me to that gurney or I might make a last minute run for it... Xanax is not a bad idea, will talk to my doc.

I'm gonna try to keep myself busy this month, prepping and spending time with family and friends.

Yes, I will stay positive about this! And you know what - if I wake up after and theres no change at all or very little, I might rage and cry and throw things (well, probably not the first week after surgery...) but I promise to hold no prisoner. I know of that risk since the doc has told me, but at least I tried right? I know pain is hard to get rid of, especially for us spineys who have lived with it on multiple levels for many years.
    I feel My goals are pretty realistic:
    I would love to be able to use my left arm again.
    I would love to cut back on the heavy pain killer stuff.
    I would love to be able to work full time again and help my husband out with our house and life together.
advertisement