Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

What pains you the most?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,664
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Depression and Coping
I've been around Spine-Health since about 2006. Initially, I used this site to get detailed medical information regarding my thoracic situation.

I then began to become familiar with the patient forums and enjoyed the interactions. I've read a lot of good and bad posts, read about many painful situations.

Right now, what gives me the most pain is reading threads and posts from different members that feel that their life is over and there is nothing but doom and gloom for them!

They concentrate so much on the negative, all their pain, all their discomfort, all their family and social interactions, etc they stop to look at what they can still do or what they can do better and so very important , how much they can still be enjoying life.

There is no secret about this.
If you think you cant, then you wont

but

If you know you can, then you will

Sounds very simple doesnt it? No, it isn't,

But if you want to play with your children/grandchildren, do some of the things you used to do, enjoy time with your family and friends, then you need to start working hard to achieve this.

Its easy to give up. Yep, think about all the negatives, think about all your problems, think about all the things you used to do.... and guess what , that is about all you will have.

Instead, if you want to smile and you want people to smile back, if you want to laugh and enjoy laughter, work hard in making that happen.

NO medication, NO injection, NO doctor, NO magic can make this happen .... ONLY You CAN, if you WANT IT!
Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement

Comments

• Is always good to listen to this kind of post.
  • Hi Dilauro, today I will go to meet some friends in a beautiful place called Cabo Rojo, Red Cape. I am nervous about it, thouthands of emotion trying to sabotage they possible joy I can get from this. Intending to move on.

Thanks again for your post.

Ziga

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,664
    If any one of my posts helps you in what ever way, I am happy and felt like I did something good.
  • A vacation! We have very carefully planned a trip from the northern US to Baton Rouge and then the everglades. We are traveling short distances each day and allowing extra rest days along the way. I'm hoping that this all works out and I don't cause myself too much pain, but my wife and I both decided it was worth the try.

My life for the last couple years has been mostly confined to the house, so this is a big deal for us.
    Pain sucks, but somehow we just need to try to get away from the same routine of bed, chair, bed, chair. Our van seats are very comfortable, so that will help with the traveling.

I think the worst part is getting everything together and packed in the van. I've had to do one day on, one day off, even on the packing.

I'll let you know how it goes.
    Gary
  • Oh well, hopefully this vacation won't pain me the most.
    Gary
  • advertisement
  • or at least I think I do. I've been living in a real dark place for a couple years and it hasn't shown any sign of letting up. Just when I think I'm gaining and things will get better, I get kicked in the teeth.

Sometimes I want to post how bad things are, but don't want to be a downer even though that's the point, for others to help when they can and for those that need help to get it from us if we can. Some make you feel less of a person because we're not out there doing, well sometimes doing is not worth the pain that you end up with.

This vacation we are taking is a huge risk. If I go into a huge flare while on this trip, what has been planned as fun could end up in misery, but I'm going to try. That's all I can do is try.

If I'm way off on what your post was about, please don't take it wrong, my intentions are good even if I get it all wrong.
    Gary

• If you think you cant, then you wont

Ron, my life history with back pain leads me to take a different approach.

The common sense way to look at is that you should and must bow to your pain level in determing what you think you can or cannot do. Not your thinking capacity, but your pain level.

For example, I was told by a physical therapist that doing exercises for my core muscles would help my lower back pain and that pilates is a good way to work your core muscles.

So I told myself I could do pilates and took a months worth of pilates classes. After the final class, the pain in my lumbar spine was severe enough to send me to the local emergency room. So much for succeeding at doing something I told myself I could do.

• If you think you cant, then you wont

Ron, my life history with back pain leads me to take a different approach.

The common sense way to look at is that you should and must bow to your pain level in determing what you think you can or cannot do. Not your thinking capacity, but your pain level.

For example, I was told by a physical therapist that doing exercises for my core muscles would help my lower back pain and that pilates is a good way to work your core muscles.

So I told myself I could do pilates and took a months worth of pilates classes. After the final class, the pain in my lumbar spine was severe enough to send me to the local emergency room. So much for succeeding at doing something I told myself I could do.
  • I feel so bad for so many members here. The ones who have no insurance, the ones who are stuck for whatever reasons what a "bad" Dr.

However the one situation that gets to me is, when their family, friends, co-workers etc, tell them to be tough, stop being dramatic, stop being so depressed, or any of the uncountable horrible/uncaring things that have been said to people with a spine issue. When people post they have no support, my heart hurts for them.

The second set of people are the ones who are in high high levels of pain and feel it will never end.

I have been both types of a person and I know how very lonely and hopeless my life was living & feeling like that - until I found SH and the wonderful members pulled me back from a dark place :D

PS: anel -I didn't take Ron's post like that at all - I took it to mean HE personally feels emotional pain for the person - as in he feels bad for them & wishes he could help them to see things/think differently.

Sorry Ron - your business not mine but I wanted to add that ;)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,664
    In all my years, I have never heard anything good coming out of Negative feelings/approaches.

But I do understand what can happen when our outlooks and approaches are Positive .

I guess when you boil it all down, it is a personal choice and how you want to live your life.

advertisement