Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Life changing doctor's appointment

BlueSkiesBBlueSkies Posts: 59
edited 06/22/2012 - 12:37 PM in Chronic Pain
Well folks, I decided to delete this post...my own little moderation. :) The appointment WAS life changing for me, and I am still feeling the effects of it. I feel like the rest of my life is going to be different than it was last week. I am changed.

I don't know whether it was my doctor's statements about the dangers of hydrocodone which upset so many people or whether it was my own decision to try life without it despite my severe problems, but he wasn't hear to hear you, and I was. Only a few of you seem to be able to accept that someone might choose not to use opiates without judging their own decision to so use, and in light of that, I'm going to remove this post and post it somewhere different where I might run into a different population of people who will.

As aways, I wish everyone the best in dealing with what ails you. :)
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,760
    I find it upsetting , especially knowing that there are so many caring, compassionate and sensitive doctors out there.
    It really doesnt matter what your condition is or could be, for a doctor to say:
    BlueSkies said:

"To be frank, the light at the end of the tunnel is death. When she dies, she'll get a new body. Until then, she isn't going to get better.
    There are so many other patients out there with much more severe and terminal illnesses, I seriously doubt any noble doctor would say such a thing.

I am not the type that tells people to forget that doctor and look for another one. But what I would suggest is that perhaps seeking a second opinion would be warranted right now.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I find that a really depressing comment considering I am a 32 year old with chronic pain! If the only light at the end of the tunnel is death than I have a long road of pain and suffering ahead! I am really glad that is not my doctor!!
  • advertisement
  • BlueSkiesBBlueSkies Posts: 59
    edited 06/22/2012 - 8:01 AM
    (See above)
  • LovetrotravelLLovetrotravel Posts: 296
    edited 06/19/2012 - 2:16 PM
    Well...the perspective issue about chronic pain is one thing. I think there always comes a time in our CP journey that we move from thinking that we will be back to where we once were, pain free, to this is our "new normal".

Now, this doesn't mean we give up. Or that we stop hoping for medical advances, or that we don't do everything we can in our power each day to live the absolute best life we can....with pain.

But the whole Hydrocodone or opiate issue is another ball of wax! LOL

If you can get by without any type of pain medication than that is wonderful. Everyone should always go for this or the lowest amount of medication they actually need. No one "wants" to be on medication.

But the type of treatment for chronic pain that people choose for themselves by working with their Dr. is going to be different.

I could not care less what "society" thinks about me or the medication I take. I also certainly understand what my PM has to go through and all the extra hoops to prescribe medication, including opiates. But this does not deter him from offering a full range of modalities and basing the choices on each patient and their journey..

Everyone who has Chronic Pain should be using every available modality based on their pain issues and levels.

In addition to opiates I use:

Daily exercise (45 minutes a day)
    Yoga/stretching
    Aqua therapy
    Physical Therapy
    Massage
    Ice
    Heat
    TENS unit
    Injections
    Acupuncture
    Eating Organic
    A muscle relaxer when needed
    A sleep medicine when needed
    Counseling/Therapy to learn healthy techniques to live with CP

Just to name some things:)....My point being in that no one should just rely on a narcotic to take away all their pain.

Do I think narcotics are over prescribed these days....absolutely! Do I think there are addicts out there or bad Drs....absolutely....But that has nothing to do with me.

I have been on my CP journey for close to 11 years now and live with a 5-7 level of pain each day. This is using everything I listed above to help take my pain down a notch.

My Dr. and I work very hard to keep me on the lowest doses possible of medication. I haven't changed my dosage in years.

So...as I wrote, if you do not need the Norco to help with your pain levels and can manage with the other modalities only...this is wonderful for you. This doesn't mean it's the same for everyone.

We all have to decide our own path..I wish you luck:)

• My doctor said something similar to me a few months after my injury.. At first I was upset at him because I was convinced I could get better, but within a couple months I came to accept I wasnt going to get better. and my Dr telling me this info is what initiated the beginning of accepting this fate so I think its a good thing.

Your Dr did it perhaps a lil too frankly but I think Dr's need to do this at some point, it helped me cope tremendously and finally let me let go of the false hope of healing and the devastation everytime a Dr or procedure failed to cure me.

As for the whole HydroCodone thing... well i dont think that was the best advice. If we could magicly produce pain relief 238 stronger than norco at will, then Chronic Pain would not exist. lol
  • advertisement
  • Wow if my doctor said that light at the end of the tunnel to me I would be very upset! He is like saying you are what you are and you will never feel better. Yes you live with chronic pain and and a bad spine but there will always be something to try to help the pain from meds to massage to diet.

As for the 238x stronger than norco thing, then why am I always in pain?
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
    edited 06/22/2012 - 8:02 AM
    (See above)
    edited 06/20/2012 - 4:40 AM
    May I ask what type of Dr. is telling you all of this?

Any good and reputable Pain Management Dr. understands the use of pain medications and uses them as PART of their comprehensive program to treat chronic pain.

That is one of their studies in PM is medication...both narcotic and non narcotic. This Dr. does not sound very knowledgeable if he is using terms like that about Hydrocodone..

There is nothing "evil" or "dangerous" about medicine that is prescribed properly and taken properly...

Just like if anyone watched the trial of Conrad Murray....the Dr. for Michael Jackson....Propofol, when used properly in a hospital setting, in the right dosage, is used every hour of every day to help sedate patients while the Dr. performs a procedure or surgery.

However...it is what killed Michael Jackson because the Dr. who administered it....was not trained AT ALL in Anesthesiology. He was a Cardiologist....He also gave MJ gallons and gallons of this medication without any monitoring. He also did not monitor other medicine MJ took...

The list goes on of egregious errors that cost MJ his life.

My point....medicine is not bad...People....both Drs. or patients who are addicts cause bad things to happen when not using medication properly or for the right reasons.

Again...that is wonderful that your pain is on the lower scale that you can do without any medication....But it is ridiculous for you, or your Dr. to say that no one should take Hydrocodone...Or Hydrocodone itself is "bad" and kills people...

It's the ABUSE of Hydrocodone that kills people, not the medicine itself. People are not dropping like flies from taking prescribed levels of Hydrocodone a day.

Another quick analogy is how so many people get the saying in the Bible wrong. It's not "Money is the root of all evil"...it is "THE LOVE of money is the root of all evil".......Wanting it too much....Not using it properly.

Again...I am happy for you that you have such low pain levels and hope that you continue on that journey..

edited 06/22/2012 - 8:02 AM
    (See above)
    edited 06/20/2012 - 7:08 AM
    But the whole point you are making is that your pain levels are low enough to not need an opiate. It's that simple. If you can be without a pain medication then your pain level is lower than someone who cannot.

It's not that you are "stronger" than anyone else....As I said....No one....absolutely no one, "wants" to be on pain medication. The only reason we have to go there is our pain levels are so high that ONLY using non medicinal treatments do not work to lower it enough. And most of us have gone through years and years of treatments to get to this point.

I still said that everyone should use every modality at their disposal. No one should rely "soley" on an opiate.

But everyone has a point in their chronic pain journey where their pain is either controlled without narcotics, or it gets to be too much they need to be on them.

I don't see how anyone is "belittiling" your pain....YOU are telling us that it's low enough to not be on Norco anymore. So I am celebrating this as are others....That is wonderful!...

Those of us like myself have greater pain that cannot be controlled without an opiate. I don't see what you are misunderstanding...

The only one who seems upset or defensive is yourself....

I only got upset about the comment from your Dr. that doesn't sound very intelligent by saying that "Hydrocodone kills people".....

And that is where I said...no...it's the ABUSE of that medicine that kills people. It's an incredibly crucial distinction.

It's addicts that abuse pain medication by buying/selling them on the street. Or Dr. shopping...or taking them by injection or snorting them. Or using them when they don't have any pain.

That is NOBODY on these boards...We are all chronic pain patients....

The ironic part is that your last paragraph goes on to now "judge" someone else's pain or their illness. A Dr. has diagnosed this person as having Lyme Disease...correct? And a Dr. has decided, with her, that her pain levels are high enough to need pain medication....correct? You are saying you don't believe this?

How is you deciding to not take Norco "raising the bar"??

This is where I take issue....It's perfectly fine that YOU have decided...along with YOUR Dr. to not be on this medication anymore...But to judge other Drs. or patients for their choice....that somehow, what...we are too "weak"...or we aren't "raising the bar" for ourselves??? This makes no sense...

You are not any stronger than anyone else because you have decided to not take an opiate. That's great that you had babies without medication....but that doesn't mean you are "better than" someone who chose delivery with medication.

I don't understand why you can't just be happy for yourself...that you don't need this because your pain is low enough to deal with in other ways....and that just because it's your choice...does not mean everyone else should do the same.

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.