Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

SCS... Is it like a TENS????

Comments

• barbie2016bbarbie2016 washington statePosts: 18

I put a tens on my back tonight for the 1st time. It is masking the pain GREAT.  love it so far.  To my understanding, this is more surface...a SCS would be placed right next to the spinal cord which I think would make it more effective in the long run?  I have an appointment on the 2nd of april for a consult on SCS.  if it works this good I should be good to go I think :)  

• Hi everyone,  on April 10,  I started my spinal-cord stimulator trial. I am on the morning of day 3. 
    You ask if it is like tens, Well I think it’s as far away from tens as you can get. It comes from within you, the stimulation feels completely different. And you can feel it so deep within the areas being stimulatied.
    The tens sensations are superficial and stimulate frrom the surface. This is great for many people, can be a great help for muscular pain, many types of pain, but I found it did not work for my neuropathic pain not my peripheral neuropathy nor my radiculophathy and when my muscles spasm it is so severe that nothing will touch them but instantly lying flat, diazepam, oromorph and a few tears! No matter what program or settings I used tens never seemed to get to deep enough for me.
    The SCS, at this early stage, I am finding is a bit of a trade off.... Fairly intense stimulation to slightly override the pain. 
    If you want to know anything else I will answer.
    It is good to have many peoples experiences so you can be prepared :-)

• advertisement
  • LizLiz Posts: 9,755

This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I am closing it.

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
This discussion has been closed.