Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Home from surgery

Im home. Surgery was on the 27th. The doctor and my wife decided that the laminectomy was not neccessary at this time. I guess once he got in there and looked aroubd it wasnt as bad as he thought. Ended up with a 3 level fusion and was out of the hospital mid day yesterday. I am taking it easy but am surprised to say that this surgery was nowere near as painful when i woke up as my hernia surgery was.
Anyway, i will let yall know how things progress.
advertisement

Comments

• backache99backache99 Posts: 1,314
    edited 08/29/2012 - 6:39 AM
    you home after a three level fusion in just 2 days !! .what fusion was it ALIF/PLIF {360} or other ??? i was in hospital a week and when i got home i was unable to do anything for at least 6 weeks and i mean anything even talking was an effort due to my throat being scratched during intubation ..its now nine months since my ALIF and i am still very much in pain and not sleeping my recovery is very slow .you seem to be super human !! best of luck to you
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,372
    edited 08/29/2012 - 9:50 AM

It sounds like you are doing really well and hopefully with less pain than you expected, that is a sign that all has gone well and served the purpose of the surgery. I think as you only had the anterior fusion done, that will mean that your pain level is not so high because muscles have not had to be cut through.

How is your swallowing?
    Are you managing to eat normal foods?
    How is your voice?
    Can you move your arms easily?
    (As you can tell I am researching how things feel after an ACDF!)

I am pleased to hear how well you are doing and will look forward to hearing updates of good news.
    Take it easy and allow the healing to begin.
  • advertisement
  • I can talk mostly normal and can move around relatively well. Swallowing is a task all its own. Just swallowing water feels like razers. I tried a PB&J earlier today and thought i was going to die.

The only real issue I currently have is my left foot has been "asleep" since I woke up from surgery. Just waiting for that to go away.
  • davrunnerddavrunner Posts: 479
    edited 08/29/2012 - 11:06 AM
    Hopefully your foot is just a passing issue that will correct itself.
    Also interested in how your recovery goes as I will be facing a 3 level myself.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • bpreachers,
    I have often read that thicker but almost liquid is the easiest to swallow, even more so than thin liquids like water.
    Smoothies and ice cream and thick milk shakes. Cold things better than hot or warm.
    Please let me know if these things help. :o)

I hope your left foot will 'wake up' soon.

• advertisement
  • hope you recover well, i also had no idea that a fusion was less invasive than a laminectomy.
  • islandstylistiislandstylist Posts: 307
    edited 08/31/2012 - 4:41 AM
    and congratulations. Sounds like things went really well for you. Best of luck with the rest of your recovery. And try to really let people help you with anything strenuous. Take care.
    Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• Finally got my prescriptions fillled today (we were hit hard by Isaac the day I was released). So I spent the first 4 days of my recovery living on tylenol but it worked out. I feel much better now though lol, they gave me percosets and valuum. I am not in a neck brace I guess they do not use that when they use titanium plates. It was a 3 level fusion. As I said things have not been bad at all, honestly some of the reactions I have read on here had me scared to death, but so far my recovery is going well. I feel like my neck needs to pop but I am ignoring that feeling. It is easier to swallow now, finally swallowing real food haha. Had to abandon my apartment today, me the wife and the cats went to a hotel upstate because our power has been out since 2 AM wednesday morning.

Anyway, hope all is well with everyone. I will keep yall updated. Get to take a shower finally tomorrow.

Foot is still numb today but all the other symptoms I had seem to have gotten better (sept for the weekness in my left hand). Gotta call on Monday to setup my followup appointment.

• So glad to hear how well you are doing and hope that you are comfortable in the hotel and that they can give you lots of pillows to get comfortable to sleep.

Did you have problems with your left foot before surgery, or is that numbness completely new?
    Glad that you are now able to swallow proper foods.
    Here's hoping that you can go home soon.
    Take care,
  • like your recovery is going well so far, hope that you continue to improve daily.

So sorry to hear that you have had to leave your home and stay in an apartment during early recovery. Hope that they are treating you well and you have all you need.

I agree with Jelly, that thickened liquids are much easier to swallow than thin liquids (we used often when I was in nursing for patients with swallowing difficulties) and yum...smoothies and milkshakes taste so good too.

I was also wondering if your foot was numb before surgery or if this is new? I have a numb foot as well. Hope that this improves soon.

All the best with your recovery!
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
advertisement