Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Can't sit or stand for long after DIAM fusion

advertisement

Comments

• Hey Roz...

Before fusion I would struggle to sit for 30 minutes or stand for an hour. I found a lot of pain in the center of my back where the ruptured disc was and in my glute and aching down my leg.(sciatic nerve) It would get worse the longer i tried to do anything. When I would lay down there was a lot of relief, but I can't work laying down..lol I work 12 hour shifts on concrete in a converting plant ,so you can imagine how my days went... :)
    So far ,after the surgery, it hurts to even stand for a few minutes. I can sit for 20 minutes fairly comfortably, then the "fire" starts in my glute (sciatic nerve aching) Sometimes I can lift my glute off the chair to the side and ahhhh..... :) It looks strange though... :) The big change is laying down.....now it doesn't feel good or relieve any pain??? Not sure why on that one and the doc isn't saying much either. The ONLY relief I get besides drugs is to "walk" For some reason I can walk all day and while walking I feel the "least" pain?? Very little actually....
    Every time I move and use my muscles (huge of course.. not! :) ) for the excercises etc, i will suffer later in the day or the next morning with elevated sciatic nerve pain. I explained that to physio and they say it will get better. Seems that is what everyone says.....I'm still waiting...
    Hopefully you and Michelle can find you your seat cushion. Find something that works for you and use it often. Do what you can everyday, i know the pain sucks!
    Good on you for taking off your braces, that's a good start. I was impressed with myself when i could finally put on my socks one day! lol
    I like that you are taking vitamins to help with the bone fusion. I don't know why the docs wouldn't tell "everyone" to do that. For the record, i asked my Homeopath doc for advice and he recommended the calcium pills and a few others too !!
    Good luck with your x-ray and ask lots of questions !!

Take care...

Kevin

Different degrees of back pain since 1994
    Chiro-Physio-Ostheopath-Homeopathy-Acupunture
    Cortisone shots Jan/09
    Discectomy and lamenectomy April/09
    L5 - S1 spinal fusion July.13th/12
  • Hi kev,
    The seat cushion looks like this if you want to try it. I confirmed with michelle.
    http://www.amazon.com/Seat-Solution-Orthopedic-Cushion/dp/B000136P8C

I will ask dr about hydrotheraphy and if its good to help with recovery. I used to swim a lot in the past and would go back to swimming for PT once the doctor gave an ok.

• advertisement
  • Roz5382 said:
    Hi kev,
    The seat cushion looks like this if you want to try it. I confirmed with michelle.
    http://www.amazon.com/Seat-Solution-Orthopedic-Cushion/dp/B000136P8C

I will ask dr about hydrotheraphy and if its good to help with recovery. I used to swim a lot in the past and would go back to swimming for PT once the doctor gave an ok.
    Hey....thanks for the link. I think i'll try that seat also , it looks comfortable!

I can't imagine any PT clinic would not recommend swim therapy as part of the recovery process. I went through 4 of the 9 clasess in a pool. It felt very good to be floating and taking weight off the joints! Everyone else who was there said the same thing. Most had back issues (surgeries and fusions like me) , some had hip , knee etc. It's good for all joint targeted therapy. I think I should have had ALL my classes in the pool. There's nothing I did in the gym that wasn't done in the pool......except for the Tens....I don't recommend that in the pool! :)
    Kevin

Different degrees of back pain since 1994
    Chiro-Physio-Ostheopath-Homeopathy-Acupunture
    Cortisone shots Jan/09
    Discectomy and lamenectomy April/09
    L5 - S1 spinal fusion July.13th/12