Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Day 8 Post-Op ACDF C5-C7

Just wanted to give an update on my status. I will try to keep it short since using a keyboard is not comfortable...and apparently someone rearranged the letters on this keyboard. Surgery was Monday 9/24/12. All went as planned, with the exception of the actual hospital stay. I have only been hospitalized once before (overnight) so I had no idea really what to expect. I did not expect to have a psychotic room mate...but I did. Also, I did not expect that i would have to ask for pain meds...I thought I would be on a pain management schedule. Those two items made for a very rough overnight stay. As the doctor was releasing me he informed us that I still had greater pain to come. Told me to stay ahead of the pain with the meds, just like I have read on here. I did start having some muscle spasms between my shoulder blades the last couple of days...not fun. Good thing i stocked up on gel packs for pain relief! Definitely have helped. Swelling in my neck started going down yesterday. Still have the swelling/restriction in my throat...but not too bad. Still a little to early for "real" food. Had a fierce craving for a pot pie last night...took me over an hour to get it down. Lots of chewing and liquids. Think i will stick with soup and pudding. I did get to drink coffee out a big girl mug this am...with out a straw! Woke up yesterday morning with either a head cold or allergies. All i can say about that is...sneezing hurts something fierce!! I did get a stimulator the day after my release...4 hours a day...interferes with land line and cell phone so i do get pretty bored for those 4 hours. Usually just try to nap a little. I realize that i am rambling...Norco must have kicked in. Will chat more later :-)


  • islandstylistiislandstylist Posts: 307
    edited 10/02/2012 - 11:38 AM
    Just wanted to pop in and say nice to meet you and it's great that you are on the recovery side now! This is a great forum for support and valuable info. Sorry about the disturbed roomie and about the pain though....don't be a hero... take your pain meds when you need to.

    I too just had an acdf c6/c7 July 16th. Recovery is slow but steady. Take it easy on yourself and accept help when its offered. Don't try to do to much too soon.

    Take care and best of luck with the rest of your recovery. : )
    Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

  • Sounds like its going well for you. My first spinal surgery was the same as yours and compared to the others its the easyest one to get over. You are already past the rough part and a few weeks you will feel fine. One thing you said that brought up memories for me was the part about some one changing the key board. I started having that problem and it was hard for me to write and then read it back. When they did my fusion and took off the pressure on my cord you would think it would help everything but as Gomer Pyle use to say surprise surprise.
    It changed the use and control of my hands so just keep a eye on that and if it gets worse let the doctor know.
    Keep in mind it may be a simple issue for a few weeks and then be fine but I had to go back in and have a laminectomy of the same areas as the cord still did not have room. Do you drop anything from your hands?
    I could not hold keys for anything but after the second surgery it all worked out well enough.

    I too stayed overnight just for safety and had a nice breakfast of cereal and toast. Just as I finished eating they came in with discharge papers and said not to eat anything that could scratch my throat like cereal or toast LOL and damn as soon as I got home my throat was raw and swollen I couldn't eat or drink anything for days. It was hard to swallow water so I am glad to hear your taking it easy

    Good Luck
  • advertisement
  • It is good to hear from you, and good to hear that things seem to be going relatively well.
    It is encouraging to read how you are after only 8 days.
    How is your voice?
    And what about sleeping, which position do you find best?
    I'll look forward to hearing updates as you move through your recovery.

    Meanwhile, I wish you a smooth recovery and hope that you will be able to eat 'real' food very soon.
    If you have any advice for those of us still waiting for our surgery, please let us know.
    Take care,
  • susabellssusabell Illinois Posts: 241
    I am so happy to hear things went well for you! On the road to recovery, the best advise is to take it easy, try not to rush it.
    Walking was a great exercise, small walks around the block, then with time I was able to get farther.

    Please do keep us informed.

    gentle hugs,
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
    Sciatica 3/11/16 Left Leg prescribed Medrol Pack 6 days also Physical Therapy.
  • It has been a while since i posted last...sorry :-(
    I went for my follow up at 4 weeks and the Surgeon saw signs of fusion already beginning! Yeah me!! Returned to work the following week...not so smart. Still having difficulties...still have not managed a full 40 hour work week. Get tired very quickly, unable to focus. Lack of focus could be the pain meds. Never thought I would still be on them 10 weeks after surgery :( Made a trip to the in-laws for Thanksgiving...5 hour road trip...and by the time we arrived I was miserable!! Have not been the same since. Began experiencing a intense burning sensation between my shoulder blades to the left and under my left shoulder blade. I wake up feeling ok, but the burning slowly starts building. I took last Friday off to see if it might be related to my posture at work or maybe my keyboard...something...but nothing was different, pain still came on as normal. Same over the weekend...I practically did nothing and pain arrived in the same manner. Sleep is not good because of the pain. Have tried heat, cold pack, just the pain meds, just the muscle relaxers...nothing. I finally decided last night to take just a xanax...oh, the sleep was wonderful. Not sure if it help with the burning sensation...but sure did not care...lol:-). Has anyone else experienced the burning sensation? I sure was hoping to get back to my regular life...
  • advertisement
  • FrancineSFFFrancineSF Posts: 318
    edited 12/06/2012 - 6:09 AM
    Hi there, puddle:

    It has now been 42 days since my surgery (C3/4 C4/5 fusion - plates and screws - and Miami J Collar). I never had pain, thankfully - in the hospital or after, other than some minor muscle strain at the base of my neck.

    I am still at home, waiting for my 6 week post-op appointment with my surgeon and I am hoping that fusion has taken place as it has for you! That will be the key to everything moving forward, I know.

    I never had pain, until I started really using my computer and my SmartPhone. I am a computer consultant and have been trying to do some work while at home. The slight burning is in my forearms, so I know that I really have to lessen my computer use. (Can't you tell by this email that I am following that thought? hahaha)

    Fortunately, it is never painful enough to take medications and I am glad that I have not been on meds since the actual day of my surgery after they wheeled me into the hospital room.

    I have mostly been sleeping sitting up at about a 90 degree angle. Put the sofa cushion propped up in my bed and a few soft sleeping pillows over that - and that's how I sleep. Amazingly, my sleep is good, sound sleep. At about 30 days, I figured I was doing so well, I would try sleeping at about a 50 degree angle. Well, I woke up in the middle of the night with BOTH of my arms burning intensely, all the way from my shoulders to my fingers. I immediately got out of bed and placed the pillows back at 90 degrees and the burning subsided.

    That was freaky, but I am glad that it was able to resolve itself.

    I go back to my surgeon next Tuesday, December 11th for my post-surgery check up. It will be 47 days at that point.

    So, the short answer is yes, I have had some burning and I suspect it is because the Miami J Collar was pressing on a spot on my neck to trigger the burning and because it was just probably way too soon to sleep at even 50 degrees.

    I hope you get some relief soon! What does your surgeon say about the burning? Does he consider its persistence a normal part of the healing process?

    Also, I totally understand about the foggy feeling in your head. I was finding it difficult to concentrate while working or even reading, although in the past few days, it has gotten better. I am lucky to be able to work from home rather than at my client's offices - because well, I am sure I would have gone home or at least been uncomfortable.

    Good luck to you. Looking forward to hearing updates and your progess!
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion
  • caseybear66Xccaseybear66X Waco TexasPosts: 4
    So him 10 days out on level 2 acdf surgery and aside from leg numbness on the front of my thigh and I'm not sure why because my neurosurgeon still keep saying it's normal I am recovering okay.
    However I noticed that muscle spasms have become predominant and when I sneeze it feels like somebody is taking a knife and shoving it in between my shoulder blades!!!! 
     my question to anyone who can answer when does this pain stop from everything sneezing everything.
    Also the site where they did The graft harvesting as they put it is not coming down as quickly as I'd like and swelling can anybody tell me also why this is not happening as quickly as I thought sincerely pain in the neck
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.