Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Someone please help

Does anyone on here have severe ankle pain that is caused from the back? My ankles are getting so bad It hurts to walk..
advertisement

Comments

• A couple of the nerves that exit from the lower spine run all the way down to the end of your toes as a termination point. Ankles and the top of the foot are common areas that back people feel. Pull up a dermatome map and you can see where nerves exit the spine and where they end up. It might help to tell you what level in your back may have a issue. It also could be something unrelated with your back so as always take it up with your doctor.

Good luck and hope your ankles feel better.
  • wonder why no one on here ever reads my post , I think its buddy thing!!! Oh well dont need it anyways
  • advertisement
  • If you look at many of the threads...the website counter has been off for months so it shows 0 for many threads...that does NOT mean that people haven't been reading it.

Also, please realize that all of us here suffer with chronic pain and have good days/bad days. When people have time and energy to come on to actually post...many times they will gravitate towards a thread that they can relate to or offer some helpful suggestions.

I don't think that severe ankle pain specifically is something that many of us recognize. I have had numerous cervical fusions as well as active herniations in that area again and in the lumbar...I have numbness down my legs and various pains...but since you just mentioned only ankle pain...I think it threw a few people off of not knowing what to say.

No one here is a medical professional either so any actual questions need to be directed to your Dr. If you truly can't walk because of the pain being so severe then I suggest an appt. ASAP with a Board Certified Orthopedic surgeon to find out if there is something else going on.

Hopefully you can get some answers soon....Have you contacted the Dr. to make an appt. since you posted this?
  • I also made a post recently about ankle pain related to lumbar issues. My ankle was killing me for what seemed like no reason for a few weeks and then went away. I've been wearing my turtle brace without the shell and I think it helped.

I can't say they were/are related, but I'm scheduled for a L2-4 fusion in Dec, so it might be. So glad I could help lol - just wanted to let you know I've experienced the same thing, but can't say for sure it's related.

Cath
  • just read your post, you sound as if you feel let down by the site, sorry you feel this way. i have been a member here for some months now, i have got a lot of support, usually quite quickly but now and then it takes a while. i agree with the above opinion, sometimes i read posts but i dont usually respond unless i have something from experience to offer. so now i am offering all i can, empathy with pain. you can click on my name to see my history, i am in the uk, its 2.30 am and although i attempted to go to bed the pain is so bad tonight (because i stood to make the family christmas cake this evening) i feel beside myself with the pain and my meds are not touching the pain.

i agree that if the pain you have is troubling you then get it checked by someone who is qualified to find out what is going on with your body,

please be patient with the site, it can be a real support for you if you give it a chance... good luck and let me know how you get on at the drs.
  • advertisement
  • have had the same or similar symptoms, but I felt the Bkins answer to you was very precise and there was nothing I could add that would help you. I post if I think there is anything that actually could help the poster. I don't really think you want us to just repeat the same things in different words, do you?

Hope you have a less painful night, mine has kind of sucked with pain and other troubles.
    Gary
  • No I am not let down by this site , it has always give me support when I need it , we chronic pain folks are sometimes ill mannered lol I am anyhow and try not to be , Im sorry if I offened anyone ..I did go to the doctor about my ankle pain and somehow I ended up going through the change of life and depressed and my ankles were completely forgotten lol I am having the scs done This comming Thursday and pray that it helps , last time I got scared and didnt go ...After the epidurals with fungus in it I sure dont want anymore of those and they really do help!
  • KENTUCKYGIRL65 said:
    No I am not let down by this site , it has always give me support when I need it , we chronic pain folks are sometimes ill mannered lol I am anyhow and try not to be , Im sorry if I offened anyone ..I did go to the doctor about my ankle pain and somehow I ended up going through the change of life and depressed and my ankles were completely forgotten lol I am having the scs done This comming Thursday and pray that it helps , last time I got scared and didnt go ...After the epidurals with fungus in it I sure dont want anymore of those and they really do help!

Hey Kentucky:

I know how you feel with the pain, I injured my back on 1-22-1996 and have not worked since, And I enjoyed my work. It took until just a few weeks ago that I have started accepting my injury, I had damaged 2 disks L4-L5 L5-S1 and had a surgery that lasted 8 1/2 hours that failed, I am now left with chronic pain losing my ability to walk I have nerve damage. The surgery consisted of laminectomy disectomy bone dowel in the front for stabilizing rods screws, hell so much was done I would have to look it up. I now have steno sis of L3-L4 they say 25% but that is with the MRI laying down I would like one standing that would show more but I am thinking why, I ma not going through another surgery. Then a few years back somehow my neck became damaged to the point that I actually impressed some radiologists and even my GP lol
    I now live on medication as I am sure you and the rest of us do.

Well back to why I an writing. After my surgery the pain was gone, but slowly it all cam back and with a vengeance. I have started having problems walking and at times use a cane (I try not to as I do not want to be dependent, something tells me it will be full time soon enough) I moved to the country so I could afford to live on my own my neighbors are horse and cows, I did have a donkey for a bit but their owners moved him. I have been a miserable person for 16years, I lost friends I stopped going out the works, it was during one of my last pain Dr visits, I asked them once again, how do you get past the mad stage and again they said they did not know.

After a week or two I started thinking why I remained mad and thought about how I miss working (imagine that) I miss being able to do what I want when I want and now my pain determined when and how I will do things, and I thought look at what little I can do and I do not depend on people. And I came to the conclusion that I can still do what I can, I wake up in the mornings to feed my 2 cats and dog I am able to cook (with pain) but I would only sleep 3 hours a night, so I decided to try going back to a water bed that I had a few years before my accident when I was with my Girl Friend at the time and we were talking about getting married, So I went on the internet and researched waterbed mattresses and called and ordered one. I had to wait until I could afford to have the carpet stretched in my bed room before setting up the water bed.

Now this is the part that I am glad I did, After the carpet was stretched I called a friend and I asked him for help He was more than happy to as he put it you have done so much for me maybe it is time for me to help you. Now I was never one to accept help, When I was in the service can't meant won't but now I realize that I am what I am and will need some help at times maybe more than I want but that is the road I have been put on.

I am now joking more than I have before I also refer to myself as the cripple lol. In-fact the small store I go to for coffee in the morning just got hit by a lawyer for ADA So they had already put a ramp in and they were working on the bathrooms to make them ADA. Now this is a little store in the mountains and up here they r are very few family's and it is a dirt drive and a mental building. So I told them today that I wanted a cover on the Handicap ramp so the cripple does not get wet lol.

So I am at the point in my life that I should just mellow up and enjoy my life as I am still able to get around as I can but I am tired of being miserable as it does not make my life any easier.

Rob
  • Rob61 said:
    KENTUCKYGIRL65 said:
    No I am not let down by this site , it has always give me support when I need it , we chronic pain folks are sometimes ill mannered lol I am anyhow and try not to be , Im sorry if I offened anyone ..I did go to the doctor about my ankle pain and somehow I ended up going through the change of life and depressed and my ankles were completely forgotten lol I am having the scs done This comming Thursday and pray that it helps , last time I got scared and didnt go ...After the epidurals with fungus in it I sure dont want anymore of those and they really do help!
    I like the way you think lol , I get so down on myself its awful , I feel useless and like a burden to everyone, I love the mountains and right now is the most beautiful time of the year ! I am only 4 years in so I am still fighting hard , the last horse I got on did me in , I would ride anything didnt care how mean or big and look what I have done to myself :( I go for my scs trial Thursday and let me tell you I am scared ! I will let you know if I survive and dont have a heart attack from fright lol

Hey Kentucky:

I know how you feel with the pain, I injured my back on 1-22-1996 and have not worked since, And I enjoyed my work. It took until just a few weeks ago that I have started accepting my injury, I had damaged 2 disks L4-L5 L5-S1 and had a surgery that lasted 8 1/2 hours that failed, I am now left with chronic pain losing my ability to walk I have nerve damage. The surgery consisted of laminectomy disectomy bone dowel in the front for stabilizing rods screws, hell so much was done I would have to look it up. I now have steno sis of L3-L4 they say 25% but that is with the MRI laying down I would like one standing that would show more but I am thinking why, I ma not going through another surgery. Then a few years back somehow my neck became damaged to the point that I actually impressed some radiologists and even my GP lol

Well back to why I an writing. After my surgery the pain was gone, but slowly it all cam back and with a vengeance. I have started having problems walking and at times use a cane (I try not to as I do not want to be dependent, something tells me it will be full time soon enough) I moved to the country so I could afford to live on my own my neighbors are horse and cows, I did have a donkey for a bit but their owners moved him. I have been a miserable person for 16years, I lost friends I stopped going out the works, it was during one of my last pain Dr visits, I asked them once again, how do you get past the mad stage and again they said they did not know.

After a week or two I started thinking why I remained mad and thought about how I miss working (imagine that) I miss being able to do what I want when I want and now my pain determined when and how I will do things, and I thought look at what little I can do and I do not depend on people. And I came to the conclusion that I can still do what I can, I wake up in the mornings to feed my 2 cats and dog I am able to cook (with pain) but I would only sleep 3 hours a night, so I decided to try going back to a water bed that I had a few years before my accident when I was with my Girl Friend at the time and we were talking about getting married, So I went on the internet and researched waterbed mattresses and called and ordered one. I had to wait until I could afford to have the carpet stretched in my bed room before setting up the water bed.

Now this is the part that I am glad I did, After the carpet was stretched I called a friend and I asked him for help He was more than happy to as he put it you have done so much for me maybe it is time for me to help you. Now I was never one to accept help, When I was in the service can't meant won't but now I realize that I am what I am and will need some help at times maybe more than I want but that is the road I have been put on.

I am now joking more than I have before I also refer to myself as the cripple lol. In-fact the small store I go to for coffee in the morning just got hit by a lawyer for ADA So they had already put a ramp in and they were working on the bathrooms to make them ADA. Now this is a little store in the mountains and up here they r are very few family's and it is a dirt drive and a mental building. So I told them today that I wanted a cover on the Handicap ramp so the cripple does not get wet lol.

So I am at the point in my life that I should just mellow up and enjoy my life as I am still able to get around as I can but I am tired of being miserable as it does not make my life any easier.

Rob
  • KENTUCKYGIRL65 said:
    Rob61 said:
    KENTUCKYGIRL65 said:

I do not blame you, When I lived in NY my pain Dr at the time recommended them and I had them they did nothing for me. I have not had them since and I also am glad. That is some bad news.

I wish you luck on your test (hope you pass LOL) maybe that will give them and you another avenue for treatment of some of the pain.

Rob

I like the way you think lol , I get so down on myself its awful , I feel useless and like a burden to everyone, I love the mountains and right now is the most beautiful time of the year ! I am only 4 years in so I am still fighting hard , the last horse I got on did me in , I would ride anything didnt care how mean or big and look what I have done to myself :( I go for my scs trial Thursday and let me tell you I am scared ! I will let you know if I survive and dont have a heart attack from fright lol

Hey Kentucky:

Rob
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.