Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain Medicine Hysteria Reaches New High in Maine

I cried all the way home from my doctors visit today. How can this be happening?

Its much like a "Witch Hunt" here in Maine. Doctors so fearful of prescribing pain mediation, they are literally turning away patients who suffer with chronic pain illnesses. At the first of the year, Maine will no longer allow for chronic pain patients to have their medicine be covered under the Medicaid program. Doctors who are already treating chronic pain patients are looking for any reason to "ween" them of the medicines.

Where is the empathy? Who will speak out for us? Who will come to our aid?

I am terrified about the possibility of losing the medicine that has allowed be some quality of life. I'm trying hard to not think about the excruciating pain that lays in wait.

God what do I do?
Who will listen...and where are they that will?

Terry

advertisement

Comments

• MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,778
    contact local media ... and contact https://www.aapainmanage.org/ thats a start.
  • Hi Terry,

I also live in Maine and had troubles with getting chronic pain care here. I am not on Medicaid. May I ask where you got this information? Your doctor? Maine has a standard of care for chronic pain patients and what you are saying goes against that. You can file a complaint with the state's medical board. Please private message me if you would like more information on that.

Best wishes to you,

Marianne
  • advertisement
  • I do know that they started monitoring Pain Management Dr as some feel they just hand out med for the hell of it. And that started when I still lived in NY (I am in MO now) and even now the Dr's are worrying because all they need is for a patient to OD or something.

I think I would contact your legislature and congressman and senators and do not get off the phone until you either get a meeting with him or that answers you want.
  • Could you please provide the link or information where this is stated?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,527
    to start getting the government involved
    rob61 said:

I think I would contact your legislature and congressman and senators and do not get off the phone until you either get a meeting with him or that answers you want.
    Sure, different states have different situations, but the bottom line is how a doctor is going to take care of their patient.
    There is no question that because of so many drug abusers lately, the DEA has clamped down. Many doctors take
    a very cautious approach to this, some make it difficult. Still, I have not met a doctor who once they understand you true and exact condition will not prescribe narcotic medication. They just need to be able to justify this if questioned.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • dilauro said:
    to start getting the government involved
    rob61 said:

Very true, The one Pain Dr I had back in NY was telling me how they were coming down on him because there were so many dr's that would just prescribe. In-fact the Dr I was going to before the Pain Dr was just one of them. I was doing anything to get away from him as once a month the line was out the door and he would give these people anything they wanted.

Once I got into see the pain Dr (and that only happened because I had a friend that was going to him and she brought me) and he then took me as a a patient as I know about my injury. A few months later at an appointment he asked if the Dr I was seeing was Dr so and so I said yes and he showed mt the paper with the article of him being led away in cuffs. Could not happen to a nicer guy I told the Dr.
    Sure, different states have different situations, but the bottom line is how a doctor is going to take care of their patient.
    There is no question that because of so many drug abusers lately, the DEA has clamped down. Many doctors take
    a very cautious approach to this, some make it difficult. Still, I have not met a doctor who once they understand you true and exact condition will not prescribe narcotic medication. They just need to be able to justify this if questioned.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.