Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

new member looking for help with depression

Comments

• MsHumptyDumptyMMsHumptyDumpty Posts: 1,567
    edited 10/25/2012 - 4:02 PM
    I remember that feeling SO well when I found this place. I felt like for the first time in aprox 4 yrs (been a member for an additional 3 yrs now) since my injury that I could breath! It was like I finally found a soft place to "fall" :)

I fight depression almost daily, some days worse then others. I am not clinically depressed so to speak, which means I don't have a diagnose of depression or take meds for it, but I know I am depressed. My injury flipped my whole world & life as I knew it to be upside down & inside out. My husband (age 48) has Dementia - flipped my world again! I have cancer - flip! Life keeps throwing these flips my way..... :(

Here is my attack plan - I use all or just 1 of them at any given time.

1. I found a hobby - one may think when your living a life such as ours that a hobby is small but it gives me something for ME to do that I enjoy.

2. I buckled down and joined the techy world and self taught myself computer codes/languages. That is now playing a HUGE part in me having a new career. I have owned my own commercial cleaning biz since the age of 15 yrs old, as you can imagine that is not do-able any more for me.

3. I also joined the ranking of a zillion people & forced myself to be selfish & bought a ipod shuffle (50.00) along with a 30.00 itunes gift card (a big splurge for me). I downloaded all my old time Rock & Roll songs & in my head I feel normal again when listening to them.

4. I also downloaded a ton of free (I will help you find these if your interested) self help books/articles and such that I listen to on my ipod.

5. No matter how bad I feel I force myself to reach out to someone on here and offer them my support.

6. I keep a ongoing list of goals. FYI: My very first goal was to be able to put on my socks by myself ;) My point is any size goal counts! When you see yourself reaching goals it really helps. Plus you can go back & see how much you really have done.

7. I cut out chemical type foods - MSG - fake sugars etc. My body & hence my mind feels so much better now.

8. Make a list of things to do when you feel down. When your feeling extra rough it's hard to think of something to do to make yourself feel better. So if you have a list ready with ideas on it no thinking is required. My list is pretty simple. 1. Play a game of 500 Rummy with hubby (on his good days). 2. Paint my nails 3. Play with my dog (he is in training to be my service dog) 4. Read. 5. Take a walk 6. Call a friend NOT to sing poor me to but just because.

9. Exercise. At first all I could do was stretch bands and a PT exercise ball, I moved on to joining the YMCA & swimming laps.

I hope that some of these ideas while they may not be for you specifically (hey you could always paint your wifes nails lol) gives you enough of the general idea to help you create your own anti-depression battle plan.

If you need help with any of this please give me a yell :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I can not help but respond to your post. Probably the most amazing, honest, genuine post I have read. I remember the feeling too...this place saves lives (in my opinion), Thank you for sticking around here and picking us up when we stumble. Takes a very special person to step out of their own crapola! You 100% sealed the deal on the notion that being of service can save us from ourselves! PEACE, Ellen
    3 level fusion L3-S1 July 23, 2012
  • advertisement
  • Thank you all for posting and sharing, it really helps. Yesterday and the day before I had great days, the kind of days when you don't even remember why you were down. I think the hardest part for me is letting go of all of my past goals and things I wanted to achieve with my life that no longer going to happen. That and the above stated, it wouldn't be so bad if the doctors could give me a positive answer as to what my future holds but as all of you are surely aware they give more questions than answers lol. I feel good this morning. I've been doing my stretches again and walking a lot and like I said before just knowing you all are here to talk to just gives me so much assurance that everything is going to be ok. Thank you all for pulling me out of the dirt and I hope to return the favor someday :)
    L5 s1 degeneration, annular tear and bulg with nerve compression. Dr says its normal wear and tear lol