Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Recent L5 S1 fusion

Comments

• backache99backache99 Posts: 1,313
    edited 12/15/2012 - 7:26 AM
    and i am still in pain and unable to do normal things still on massive amount s of medication 80mg oxycontin x3 a day 20mg oxynorm x6 a day and other drugs still only sleeping for 2 hours them being woken up in agony .just standing feels like i have 6 20 stone mend stood on my shoulders .and trying to do anything like wash or pick something up from the floor load a washer etc is almost impossible ..i have already had previous surgery on my spine at the same level 3 times so my ALIF was always going to be a gamble ..unfortunately its no payed of for me as i am worse now then this time last year {i was in fuerteventura in spain on holiday} granted i was ill on holiday and spent most of the time in the hotel room but there is no way i could even travel to the airport let alone travel to spain now !! good luck to all that are going a lot better then me
    tony{UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • So after two years of dealing with everything and all the alternatives failing, I'm getting scheduled for a decompression and fusion. I am a 27 year old, newlywed and hairstylist. I have a very physical job and can't afford to change careers. I continued working full time with medication and a brace but my quality of life after work is next to nothing. Literally. I'm thin, walked daily, surfed and I'm otherwise healthy. So the quick downward spiral has been a big blow. I have ddd with central herniations at l4/l5/s1, lumbar stenosis, facet arthrosis and to top it off I have a retroverted uterus, that means my reproductive area directly pushes into my problem area. For you guys with no uterus, imagine having what you have with something physically sitting on it inside of you. Imagine it swelling once a month even more on top of it. I have done everything from physical therapy, massage, Thai massage, traction decompression, light therapy, tens unit daily, medication daily, chiropractor, failed epidural injections with horrible side effects. So now comes surgery because I want to have kids and continue doing what I love. I didn't have an accident at all, the degeneration of my discs and facet joints have led to this. I feel like I've heard horror stories from either people that have been in accidents or have to deal with insurance from accidents or workmans comp. none of this applies to me so I'm really hoping for a positive outcome. I've been working for a year with a surgeon and my primary care doc to avoid surgery. My boss had a fusion and it was her third surgery (she had a car accident while healing from a discectomy!) and my sister had discectomy on three herniated discs. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts. It's great to have a forum for people that suffer horrific chronic pain. My mid back to my toes are useless. I fear sneezing, coughing, potholes, speed bumps and touch in general. Let me know and I send all my love and healing thoughts to everyone on this board. No one deserves this!!!! Any success or not success. My sister is pain free for three years now and my boss is 7 months post fusion but her pain level is down about 50%.
    Chelsea parker
  • advertisement
  • StitchGnomercySStitchGnomercy Posts: 64
    edited 02/06/2013 - 4:12 PM
    I had a minimally invasive TLIF on my L5/S1 3 weeks ago. I'm a doctoral student that works a 20 hour a week receptionist job. I'm back in classes, with the caveat to my professors that I leave if my back gets tired. I haven't gone back to work yet though. I'd been dealing with a grade 2 spondylolisthesis, pars defect, and degenerative disc for over 5 years (failed all the conservative treatments 4 or so years ago, had been on narcotic pain management for 3 years). I attribute me going back to classes so quickly to being in constant pain for so long :-p
    1/16/2013 Minimally invasive TLIF with rods, screws, and cage on L5/S1 joint to treat grade 2 spondylolysthesis, pars defect, degenerative disc disease. Dealt with chronic pain & nerve issues since at least 2007.