Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Moving around after surgery...

My fusion will be on the 20th (L2-L3-L4) and I've read all about not bending or twisting but my question is how do you not do this? Do the rods and inplants prevent movement? Could you break the implants moving?

Thanks - Joe
XLIF 2-4 on 11-20-2012
advertisement

Comments

• I have L3-L5 fused. I thought the same thing moving around. Some how I got it in my head that I would not be able to move cause of the rods. I was wrong. At first you will be to sore to bend lift or twist. After that you just have to be very disciplined when it comes to not doing those things. Actually my fusions were done at separate times, my first one was in Feb of this year and my second in June. I was very good about not bending, lifting , or twisting with the first fusion. As for my second fusion I could not stop bending over. Once I realized I could bend and it not hurt I could not stop. My doctor wasn't to happy about that. Thankfully I did not mess up my fusion. If your doctor prescribes you a back brace it will be there to help remind you that you shouldn't be doing those things. So the answer to your question, no the screws and rods do not prevent you from moving. The hardware they use is titanium which is very strong. Good luck with your surgery. I hope it goes well for you. Feel free private message me anytime if you have any questions.

Jennifer

Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • Wishing you all the best with your fusion, the time is getting near. As Jennifer said, at first the pain will prevent you from doing any BLT, but you really need to keep it in mind with everything that you do.

When I had my adr surgery, I was put on restrictions of no BLT and no lifting over 5 pounds, for 3 months. A grabber became my best friend, that I still use now. Try to arrange things that you will be needing at waist level. For things like getting out of bed etc, physio should teach you how to log roll properly to prevent twisting. If you need something low down, bend at the knees.

Hopefully you will have help at home for when you get out of the hospital as the first few weeks can be difficult. Lots of short walks with rest in between, and taking meds on time help.

It may seem difficult to not bend lift twist as you start to feel better, but the short time that you need the restrictions for, and you comply, will help with recovery.

Look forward to hearing how you are doing, leading up to and after surgery
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • advertisement
  • Another good reason not to BLT. Ya don't want to bust'm up. Agree with above good answers.

I had 3 grabbers. 2 at bed and one in kitchen. I just seemed to drop a lot of stuff after the op. medication affected? Anyway, the 2nd grabber in b/room was to pick up the 1st one that I often caused to drop. ;) lol - worked for me!
  • I'll certainly get one or two - and I do have support at home so I'm not going it alone.

Thanks guys!
    XLIF 2-4 on 11-20-2012
  • Joe W. Its almost time! I bet you are anxious and excited to get this all behind you and start on the road to Recovery!!!

You won't believe how much bending, lifting, and twisting you do everyday, until after surgery. Just don't do it. Definitely have someone around. There is nothing in this world worth messing up your repaired back over!!! Physically you will be able to do it, so it makes it difficult not to just bend, lift, or twist to get something. If you can't safely reach it with your grabbed you need to ask for help! It's a tough habit to break, but do it for yourself!

You will be in my prayers...life on the other side of back surgery is so much better!!!!
    2007 and 2010 L4-S1 Microdiscectomies; helped for a total of 3 years between the 2 of them.
    08/2011....pain returned.
    10/03/2012....back reconstruction L3-S1...large titanium "seperators" were put at each level with synthetic bone graft material.
  • advertisement
  • JoeWJJoeW Posts: 36
    edited 11/07/2012 - 3:30 AM
    Yea I'm anxious/scared/worried all at the same time. All my appointments have been scheduled so hopefully I'll keep busy the next week and a 1/2. At least I'm still able to work - desk job and I've been on narcotics so long they don't do all that much but keep the peak pain away.

-Joe
    XLIF 2-4 on 11-20-2012
  • Joe,

You're not alone buddy...our bodies become tolerant to the pain meds way too quickly and we lose the benefits of it!

Lets hope you're tossing those narcotics soon after surgery! You can do it!
    2007 and 2010 L4-S1 Microdiscectomies; helped for a total of 3 years between the 2 of them.
    08/2011....pain returned.
    10/03/2012....back reconstruction L3-S1...large titanium "seperators" were put at each level with synthetic bone graft material.
  • JoeWJJoeW Posts: 36
    edited 11/16/2012 - 8:39 AM
    UGG!!!! It was only $1500 - just what I need a few days before surgery to have more stress in my life.
    XLIF 2-4 on 11-20-2012
  • is another thread going on paying ahead of time. I think its becoming more and more common insurance company's or not.

You asked about breaking things and yes, you can break both the screws and rods if enough pressure is put on them. It is more common for screws to move in their holes though. Just keep in the back of your mind that you need to protect your back and you should do fine. Protect your back, protect your back, protect your back......... Get the picture?LOL
  • Thinking of you today. Hope that you are kept comfortable in the hospital, and look forward to hearing how you are doing when you are able.

Wishing you a smooth recovery and solid fusion.
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
advertisement