Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Women, Advice here...

Had L4-L5 in Oct. Taking a shower feels great. No problems with that...BUT. How do you shave your legs without bending?? I know it sounds strange..It has been a while.....LOL Advice please
2007 ACDF C6 - C7
2010 Aspen Cage L4,L5 for Grade 2 Spondo and spinal stenosis
2011 Non-Union C6-C7, Revision Posterior fusion with hardware.
2012 Failed fusion of L4, L5. Revision L4, L5 Fusion with hardware.
advertisement

Comments

• RTgirl2011RRTgirl2011 Posts: 511
    edited 11/12/2012 - 1:32 AM
    I have been wondering that myself. I don't think there is a way to shave legs without bending. Hopefully someone will come back with some advice. I had my last fusion in June(L3-4) and I am still not allowed to BLT due to a herniated L5-S1, So I only shave about once a month or so. Would definitely like to do it more. To me, that question isn't strange at all.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • Well, i haven't had any surgery, but it hurts too much to bend anyway, so i sit on the edge of the tub and put one foot at a time up and do it that way. Granted there is still some bending but its a lot easier that way, at least for me it is. I hope that helps. 8-)
  • advertisement
  • Dear dilynn,
    This is a problem that I struggled with over the summer before my surgery in October. If you can just go natural, that's the best way. Also, you might call you hairdresser to see if someone performs that sort of wacky service. I have been putting on black tights with my sock aid since surgery but I still feel...not right. Over the summer, I figured out a way to put rubber bands around a long back scratcher (teak or plastic) to safely rubber band the shaver tightly to the back scratcher. You do need to have steady, non-pain drug shaky hands for that. There also may be a catalogue that sells personal beauty or hygiene products. Going slowly, one foot at a time, is helpful. Also you might try one of those long lotion wands to try Nair or Jolen bleach (I break out with this, though.) Best of luck to you!

Dx: Discectomy laminectomy early October extruded disc L5S1
    humanshishkabob
  • and my surgery was July 23! I have finally accepted that its all natural for me. Im in Cali where its been sunny and warm and i was wearing shorts until a couple of days ago. I can tell you, nobody notices, or gives me weird looks! ;) My husband says he will do it...but it makes me feel needy so i go natural and stay in charge of myself and my care. ends up making me feel better. Its one of those things that I refuse to let be a downer but i let it empower me! sounds silly, I know...but I do whatever I need to do to make this be as positive as possible. 5 years ago, i wouldnt have left the house without shaved legs...feeling all crazy insecure. You can go have them waxed..they ask for 3-5 weeks growth anyway...hurts the first few times but you have already been hell so it will be a cake walk! Good luck, and dont sweat the small stuff! Peace, Ellen
    3 level fusion L3-S1 July 23, 2012
  • Thanks for all the ideas. Thank Goodness I have very light hair. Fair haired dutch girl. I guess for the time being all natural for me. Hubby says he would do it but...I supposed I could by an electric razor and let him do it..but nah...It is going to be winter in Michigan. Not going anywhere anytime soon....:-)
    2007 ACDF C6 - C7
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,279
    Yes, that can be a real problem. And If I wanted to I could probably list a dozen items here that woman will have difficulty doing and some of the the men will the same.

I think because of all the surgeries, all the medical professionals, the nurses, etc, there AINT a part of my body that hasnt been exposed and under review!

I found several sites that have wonderful solutions to some of these problems. I am not given out a URL or solicit, but
    just google Arthritis aids and look for the Wright Stuff

I have order about 10 of their product and they all work well. They cover everything from personal hygiene to kitchen aids to working out in the garden.

I guess one thing I have learned after all these years, I've got nothing to hide, there isn't a topic I haven't or wont approach, embarrassment is word that has long been from my vocabulary.

Bottom line, what every we need in terms of physical aids that will make our daily lives easily is the right thing to look for
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • just get the stuff similar to nair can't think of the new one but works great. just rub all over n rinse
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Thanks Dilauro. I checked out the site and there are some things that may be helpful. Not just personal care but different pillows and such. Great resource. Highly recommend this site as well.
    2007 ACDF C6 - C7
  • putting lotion on your lower legs? I live in Vegas where it is drier than dry and have yet to figure out how to effectively lotion my lower legs. I have no husband or kids (well the 2 legged kids anyway and I'm pretty sure the 4 legged ones won't help).
    Jodi

Single level L5/S1 360 fusion with 6 screws and a rod (10/29/12)
    Diagnosis: Grade 1-2 spondylolithesis, Pars Defect, L5/S1 disc tear anterior and posterior, DDD, spinal stenosis
  • KENTUCKYGIRL65KKENTUCKYGIRL65 Posts: 210
    edited 11/13/2012 - 4:41 AM
    I have the same problem! And clipping toe nails is a pain I cant do it anymore so I just go to the nail salon and get a pedicure , I found a thing thats a extension for the razor and it works good ..Where theres a will there is a way lol
advertisement