I don't want to do the what meds have you tried list - so lets just agree to say I have tried a LOT. For different reasons only 2 were/are effective even some what. The Fentanyl 75 every 48 hrs. patch & Oxy tabs 5 mg. I have been on this mix for aprox 2 1/2 yrs now with "decent" success.
fast forward..... not any more. I am allowed to take 8 tabs a day & use to take 5 or 6 - now days I always take the allowed 8 but pain levels still are often high enough I am left gasping in pain & unable to do anything.
So Dr & I have been talking. I am 50 yrs old and hopefully will live at least another 20+ yrs
We both know that at some point I am in all probability looking at getting a pain pump (pp). However we both agree we want to hold off on that for "down the road".
We also agree that we don't want to keep increasing my pain meds (pm) & use up all my "wiggle room".
Back up for a minute. Last March I had both my knees replaced at the same time. Thanksgiving Day of 2010 I was walking across my living room floor & went down. Both my knees "blew out". I knew they were bad and needed replaced but kept playing the - some day - game. I was in a wheel chair from that day until I got my new knees in march of 2011 - aprox 4 months.
Present day - so now we are talking about me voluntary going into a wheel chair. The thought being to save me from the pain that just normal every day walking causes me. As well as (hopefully) save me from some wear & tear on my spine and joints (I need 2 new hips). My muscles are screaming out at me daily any more! It is like they are now too short for my body and most moves I make causes me great pain.
I have a few issues with the wheelchair subject.
1. Once I go into it I know I am there for life. I fully understand what my muscles will do, as well as I know how "comfy" I was in my chair those few months.
2. I feel like if I go into a chair now that I have given up the fight.
3. I feel bad, as SO many people fight to get OUT of a chair & here I am talking about going into on voluntary.
4. I feel like a fraud. I CAN walk!
5. I feel like I will be viewed as a fraud. example: I am out shopping & can't reach something so I stand up & get said item & then return to my chair = fraud!
I am very aware that most of my issues are from a emotional response.
I really would appreciate your opinions about my concerns & the idea of using a wheel chair for pain control ???
L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.