Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain after Microdiscectomy

advertisement

Comments

• Have not been on in awhile. Hope everyone is as well as possible. Just passed 11 months post-op. I cannot tell you how many times I thought I reherniated. I even had a 2nd MRI somewhwere around 8 months. These nerves are crazy. I still have very mild pain now & again. But up through the 9-10 month mark I was still improving. Really even now in minute increments. So keep trying to get better in those early-mid months!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • Hi there
    Although I feel for you it's also comforting to know that u r nor the only one with this problem.
    It hasn't been at all what I expected after the op and I'm in so much pain they have doubled my Tramadol so I feel like I rewound several weeks. They are making me quite dozy but are helping with the pain.
    Keep moving around and doing my excercises etc, GP said if still like on 23/8 when I go back he is gonna contact surgeon.
  • advertisement
  • Well I'm counting the day till I see the doc again! A wk to go now so maybe I will be a bit closer to establishing why it hurts so much
  • Firstly if like to thank everyone on this forum got post your experiences .. I have had a microdiscetomy 5 weeks ago. Previous to this I had two buldging discs and siatica that I was diagnosed with at the age 17, I had not experienced any accidents to cause it, however I am a tall woman. I am now 25 and had my micro 10 days after my 25th. It was not a planned operation, it was an emergency. One night I had gotten home and could not get out of my car from that night on my pain got worse and did not subside not did any of the fun medication help! After two weeks of screaming and being in endless pain I had a few two days were I could move to the door and back (at snail pace) and managed to get in the car and a wheelchair to get An MRI. A day after the MRI, which was a Friday, my surgeon had called saying he could see why I would be in such excruciating pain. He told me he recommends a microdiscetomy and to have the weekend to do some research and see whether Id improve. You guessed it I didn't improve at all.. And thankful of this forum I didn't thin twice about getting the micro done, I was desperate. Straight after my operation in recovery I opened my eyes and my pain was thankfully gone! I cried out of happiness. My weeks after the micro were fantastic I was pain free an even though I was limited in movements I could walk within the week and day after the operation!!! After 5 days in hospital I was out and had not taken not even one pain killer since stepping out of the doors of the hospital. I seemed to be recovering really well, walks and all however about a week ago I started experiencing what it seems like a bruised coccyx .. Three days ago my right leg started shaking when standing for more than 2 mins and some throbbing has come back. I am worried that I might have injured myself or from what I have read a healing process? Also I have been lying down a lot this past week as I'm trying to finish off uni for the year as I was supposed to finish a month or so ago.. I could just be stiff I hope this is the case!! Tonight is the first time in 5 weeks that I have taken medication. I took a oxynorm and burfen and the pain jas subsided drastically I am using this as a positive sign as previously they would not work at all.. Trying to be positive about it all!! Having back pain an surgery can definitely take a toll on your mental state but know you are not alone! Anyone else have had the same issue after 5 weeks? I hope I have not herniated a disc again .. Sorry a part of my disc had broken completely off an etched itself in a nerve..
  • I am still taking pain meds. just wondered what the time frame was on pain meds. Doctor has ok'd 7 weeks short term disability, but I don't think that will be long enough because I sit 10 hours and have a phone job.
    DB
  • advertisement
  • nicknova1990nnicknova1990 Posts: 1
    edited 07/11/2015 - 3:57 PM
    Hi everyone. I'm new to forum posting so I hope I'm doing this correct. So I just underwent the procedure on 3/31/15 so I'm only 4 days into my recovery. I haven't had as much pain as many other posters have, in fact with the exception of today I really only had stiffness in my lower back after the op. The doctors prescribed me norco 10's for the pain and I was taking them very liberally just because it tends to mess with my liver levels. Today however I've been experiencing pain in my left leg similar to what I felt before the procedure and it's been worrisome. I know it's probably ridiculous to be so concerned so early into recovery, but even just the thought if backsliding into the pain I had before is terrifying. Yesterday I had been out walking like my surgeon instructed and I was feeling really good. I then got the bright idea that I was well enough for an outing with my mother to walmart for Easter stuff. After being in the store for awhile my back started to feel like it was going numb on the sides of my incision, then felt like it might explode. I finally had to go wait for her in the car. Since then my leg has been extremely sore. I keep hoping that I just overdid it and that I caused some extra swelling or something. Has anyone else had a similar experience, and if so did the pain go away again? I'm just hoping that I can share in everyone's experiences so I know what's to come as I take the long road to recovery.

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click link for helpful information!
  • wifeonfirewwifeonfire Posts: 1
    edited 08/30/2015 - 11:25 AM
    Hi all, I'm recovering from L5/S1 Microdiscectomy and my pain almost is worst than before I went under. I am having pain down my right leg (front & back) just as before but now my foot is numb and I can hardly bare any pressure on my right hip/sacrum region without crying out in agony. I've had a couple other surgeries that were very painful but they were on my neck and nothing compared to this. Any advice on what is normal and what should be cause for concern. Pain medication isn't touching this pain :(
    Also, thought I was gonna die using the bathroom. Is this something anyone else can relate to?! Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
  • jcompstonjjcompston Posts: 1
    edited 07/11/2015 - 3:59 PM
    I am recovering from having a microdiscectomy on May 6, 2015. I am two months out from surgery. A couple weeks ago I had a bad week, could barely walk. Day by day it got better. We spent all last week at our camper at the campgrounds and I woke up Sunday morning hurting bad. It isn't my leg (which is still numb, so is my foot). It is lower back above my buttocks. It is a little better each day but I am back to working 8 hour days and I just feel like crying every day. It throbs and sharp pains will shoot thru my back. Walking is extremely painful because my back just hurts so much. I get up every half hour and walk around some but it is still hurting so bad. I have oxycodone & muscle relaxers still, but this is my second batch and I'm running low. I feel like if I ask for more my doctor will think I am some kinda drug addict. But should I be in this much pain still?
    Thanks for any advice!!

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click link for helpful information!
    jc
  • aakashthukralaaakashthukral Posts: 1
    edited 08/30/2015 - 11:23 AM
    Hello everyone i am new to this website i would like to share my problem that i was having the pain in my right leg and after 1 month i go for a surgery on 26 August 2015 and microdiscectomy surgery successful but now i am having still pain in left leg my neurosurgon said this pain is due to nerves swelling whre you have the stiches after 10 days it will be fine. Please anyone let me know is anyone having same problem.

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
    Aakash
    New Delhi, India
  • Hi friends,
    I had my microdiskectomy a week ago. I had severe pain for a month and when I had become immobile I had to under go surgery. After surgery I do nit have much pain so far. I would like to know if there are any DOs and DON'T s to be followed to make sure it doesn't reoccur. Pls Help 
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.