Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

What are you fears about Surgery?

Comments

• KeeweeKKeewee Posts: 91
    edited 12/30/2012 - 7:31 AM
    About a week before my surgery I became very tearful even a the meer mention of the word 'surgery'
    I was convinced one of the following would happen:
    1) I would die
    2) paralysis
    3) wake up during surgery
    4) have a panic attack whilst on medication
    5) not be able to look after my kids
    6) failed surgery
    7) too much pain for me to cope
    8) infection

I discussed all of these issues with my surgeon and anaesthetist which really eased my mind.
    These guys do this job time and time again without issues and would not recommend surgery unless they expected a hood outcome.
    I liken it to going on a plane - a pilot isnt going in to that flight deck without being fully ready to fly that plane or risk committing career suicide.

We should have faith in our surgeon and their teams, if we don't, we shouldn't proceed.

P.s I was all good with the exception of point number 7 but that was soon fixed with a ring of the nurse bell and some extra drugs!

Take care

Best of luck

Keewee
    2 level Discectomy 2000 open surgery
    L4/5 Discectomy & L5/S1 Laminectomy 2005- (Cauda equina) open surgery
    5 x joint injections 2012
    Discogram Dec 2012
    Dec 2012 - 360 Lumbar Fusion L4 -S1(BMP), Disc replaced L3/4, Bilat trocanter injects
  • ChicInBlueCChicInBlue Posts: 34
    edited 01/02/2013 - 11:45 AM
    Thank you Jim, I realize that this fear can be debilitating if I dont do something about it. I am going to speak with my NS about it and then just let it go. I know how much more risky his surgery was, I think its the trauma of loosing him that way and that young. I dont want my children to go thru what I did but I am over thinking it. I could die in a car accident tomorrow, there are some things we have no control over. Soooooo I vented and now gonna try to move on.

Lisa
  • advertisement
  • odile53oodile53 Posts: 65
    edited 01/17/2013 - 6:29 AM
    Along with the possibility of ending up a paraplegic, I was actually afraid of dying and going to hell, believe it or not. I had other fears, too, ranging from inadequate caregivers to being stuck wearing elastic waist pants (gick!)

I couldn't do much about any of it, but there was one thing I could do: I contacted my parish priest a few days before surgery and received the Sacrament of the Sick (I'm Catholic.) They used to call it the Last Rites, but changed the name because it scared too many people off.

Afterwards, we had a long chat about fear, courage, and strength, accepting limitations whether temporary or permanent, and our intrinsic value as human beings (regardless of what we are capable of doing.) That ministry of his was probably the one most helpful thing in aiding my recovery from this operation.

I remember a deep feeling of calm and peace as I went into the OR, knowing in the very marrow of my bones that regardless of what happened, all would be well.

If you are a person of faith, I urge you to contact your clergy, and get some spiritual help for this battle.
    I'm not a spinal diagnosis. I'm a human being with a spinal diagnosis.
  • I am just reading the posts as I prepare for my surgery (laminectomy w/spinal fusion) next month. This is so helpful to see my fears in print from other people! We do have much in common, and it's not always easy to explain our concerns to our family and friends. I appreciate hearing, and knowing, that I'm not alone in my feelings.
  • I think the biggest one is not being able to work or provide for my family.Am fortunate now that my employer is understanding because he is going through similiar things but know some that had surgerys and afterwards, were worse off..I simply dont want to chance it and will delay it until its absolutely inevitable.

Idid become fully awake during my eye surgery,no pain but remember the pulling mostly,the fear of seeing nothing but black and super anxiety and dr yelling to put me out,couldnt remember anything for 4 days afterwards or even how I got there.turned out ok eventually and the benefit of getting my vision back outweighed the bad experience of it all.
  • advertisement
advertisement