Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

SCS surgery has me a mess...

I'm not sure what it is about his surgery, but it has me a nervous wreck! I've never been this nervous.

I've been doing a lot of research, so other than actually having the surgery, I know what to expect, to an extent. I didn't even know as much about my ACDF, as I do about SCS's.

Of course I've read the horror stories, but that comes with any surgery. There's always someone, somewhere, that had a bad experience.

I know it's the right thing for me to do. No question about it. I'm so ready to have my perm implant, it's not even funny.

It may just be everything right now and I'm letting it get to me... Finals, Christmas, family coming in, hoping I'm healed enough to start classes back in mid January, etc.

I feel like I have morning sickness! That horrible, nauseous feeling you get. Ugh.

Anyhow, I'm just being whiney because I'm not sleeping, so I'm tired as hell, and I can't sleep now because I have to study. Yep, still whining! Lol

Well, I better start back studying before the sleepiness takes over.

Mel
advertisement

Comments

• Awwww Mel, bless your heart! Sending hugs your way! I also had the same nerves going in so I understand completely what you're going through. I have lots of stomach problems so any time I get stressed I end up having the nausea too, I think it's natural to feel exactly how you are feeling. Just try to relax and make sure to make time for you, to do whatever it is you enjoy doing, Maybe pamper yourself a little, go get a massage, a mani/pedi, new hairdo, go shopping..............Whatever you have to do, after all, you deserve it! You will be in my prayers, hugs!
  • Thanks for the encouragement :-D

I have stomach problems myself. I had my gallbladder removed when I was 17. My stomach has been a nightmare since.

I know I'll be fine, but I keep getting panicky, which is not like me when I have surgery. Normally I'm fine.

It doesn't help I have finals and have ZERO desire to study either. I just want to crawl into bed and sleep until next Thursday!

I think I may have do do a mani/pedi day... I'm not much of a shopper, don't feel like getting my hair done because ill be laid up (I do love getting it done though. My hair lady is awesome! She gives me two head massages :-)), plus being in school, it is in a permanent pony tail.

I'm done Christmas shopping, thank god. It's a nightmare here at Christmas time. Really all I have left is to clean the house really good, which isn't happening until next week. I have a ten and sixteen year old, so cleaning now will only end up making me mad because they are a bit messy.. :-)

• advertisement
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 558
    edited 12/11/2012 - 11:19 PM
    Hey Mel do not worry give Yourself extra time to recover. The recovery is tuff but its safer then a fusion surgery. My first surgery had a 50% chance of what they call a catistropic possible issue (quad) and everything went well. It was the worst choice I ever had to make but I knew it had to be done and therefore no reason to worry. I go into back surgeries easier then root canels. Problems from any spine surgeries are there but very low with a skilled surgeon.
    We do know that doing nothing is taking a chance on more and worse issues so this is a easy choice to have it done as it gives you a chance for a better life. Think positive and plan that this will help. No choice it will help.
    Leave the house work and tell the sons they need to do it ALL Have a clean bed ready with drinks and meds right there for use. Have a alarm so you now when to take meds. A small note book or tablet works great for this.
    Rest the first few days and stay in bed as much as possible. Do not cook or clean The easier you take the first few days or week will help in your recovery. Sleep will be your best friend. I have water gater aid drinks and some milk chocolate insure ready to drink by my bed.

Relax this is a good thing at the worst it might have to be removed and this is very very quick and easy but do not think about it.

Look at the life you may get back
    Hang in there and good luck
    Rick
  • MelWMMelW Posts: 427
    edited 12/12/2012 - 11:57 AM
    I think another thing I'm worried about is when classes start back up.... Do you think I'm being unrealistic to think I can start back on January 14, 2013?? I'm only taking 11 credit hours, so I'm not loaded down. I have three classes. Two are three credit hours and one is four (lab and lecture).

This only gives me 24 days to heal before classes are back in session. I know I will not be healed, by any means. I'm just hoping I can make it through three classes a week. It wouldn't be such a big deal, and I would take off this next semester, but I'm applying for the nursing program in April. Hopefully it's doable!!!

Thanks for all of the encouragement!
  • Mel sweetie you are a go getter:) I took 16 credit hrs and this was considered full time and I felt it. I was never so glad for a semester to be over. Of course it depends what classes you will be taking. I took Anatomy and Psysiology 1, Psychology, Algebra. It was horrible. When I took A&P 11 this was only class I took for Fall semester and was so glad I did. I think it is great that you are able to keep up with school while dealing with pain and looming surgery. I know you will do great with the surgery and just think how much better you will feel. I am so happy for you and know you will make a great nurse because you have been through what most patients are going through and have empathy for them. Anything is doable when you put your heart and soul in it and I know you will ;)

hugs,
    kelli
  • advertisement
    edited 12/12/2012 - 9:10 PM
    Hi
    Your time frame seams like it will work. Just be sure to take the very first week very easy and keep the pain down. Week number two start out slow and see how it goes. Maybe a small bag like a carry on bag with wheels to carry books when school starts as you may not want to carry much weight. Last thought if you have to pick anything up do it close to your body not with your arm stretched out in front of you. I did the reach for a gallon of milk. Milk hit the floor and it felt like my shoes flew up my a// and Into my chest. Very strange feeling.
    I have a very good feeling that this will work out well for you so don't worry just be happy its getting done.
    Be Good and Good Luck
    Rick
  • pandqmamappandqmama Posts: 172
    edited 12/13/2012 - 2:48 PM
    I really wish you could take it easy, let everyone else take care of themselves and of you. You need to take it easy, easy, easy! I sometimes wonder if I would have been more carefull after my fusion if I wouldnt be where I am now. Let yourself heal, give yourself a break. I think that Rick offers great advise and I second and third everything he has said. I also think if you take it easy, take care of yourself now you'll be able to get to classes but worrying about things does not help the healing process any. I wish you luck, and the ability to relax and get better.
    edited 12/13/2012 - 10:48 PM
    Just close your eyes and find a happy place to go. Make your bed feel like a nice platform bed out on the beach with a nice warm breese bloweeing over you. When you need something ask the help to go get it for you. Have your man feed you your meals Turn i t into a five star hotel for a few days and have some safe fun.

Good Luck and Merry Christma. Mell
    PS"new years party at Mells. HO HO HO
    Your old friend Rick
    Mell'ask us if you need any help
  • I just had SCS surgery and have a video journal of my recovery....

any feedback would be great.
    Good luck with yours...
    Peace,
    Larry F
  • Mel, can you please update on your progress. Quite a few here are really worried about you, me too I am going for trial and your story has me scared to death!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.