Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Feel the hardware?!!!

Hi all,

I'm 2 weeks post op for my anterior part of my 360 fusion and 1 1/2 weeks post op for the posterial part.
I took my dressings off today and I can see and what feels like the screws! Is freaking me out to say the least and I did think laying on my back was uncomfortable to say the least.

Is this just swelling or something I will get used to?

Any experiences from you lovely people? Would be great to hear your stories!

:)
Keewee
2 level Discectomy 2000 open surgery
L4/5 Discectomy & L5/S1 Laminectomy 2005- (Cauda equina) open surgery
5 x joint injections 2012
Discogram Dec 2012
Dec 2012 - 360 Lumbar Fusion L4 -S1(BMP), Disc replaced L3/4, Bilat trocanter injects
advertisement

Comments

• Keewee:

I experienced the same. By chance, are you skinny? Those of us who have a low BMI seem to be able to feel and even see the impression of spinal fusion hardware.

After a while I got use to it. Especially after I stopped touching it.

Jim
  • Keewee

Yeah, I noticed and could feel the hardware for the first month. Then didn't notice them after that. The hardware is pretty deep inside under large back muscles.
  • advertisement
  • airborne72 said:
    Keewee:

I experienced the same. By chance, are you skinny? Those of us who have a low BMI seem to be able to feel and even see the impression of spinal fusion hardware.

Jim
    Hi! Thanks for responding.

I'm very slim around the waist actually and my spine is quite prominent so that must be what it is.

Shame the screws aren't in my backside or I certainly wouldn't have the same question hahaha!

Take care
    Keewee
    Discogram Dec 2012
    Dec 2012 - 360 Lumbar Fusion L4 -S1(BMP), Disc replaced L3/4, Bilat trocanter injects
  • DaveFusion said:
    Keewee

Yeah, I noticed and could feel the hardware for the first month. Then didn't notice them after that. The hardware is pretty deep inside under large back muscles.
    It's weird isnt it, still very bruised so probably some swelling too.

Keewee
    Discogram Dec 2012
  • Feeling the hardware certainly feels weird but it is normal. You do get use to it, it might take a few months. I also had the same feeling when I had a knee replacement years ago.

Dick
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • advertisement
  • Keewee said:
    airborne72 said:
    Keewee:

Jim
    Hi! Thanks for responding.

I'm very slim around the waist actually and my spine is quite prominent so that must be what it is.

Shame the screws aren't in my backside or I certainly wouldn't have the same question hahaha!

Take care

So what you are saying is you are skinny with a nice backside eh lol

On a serious note. Im i large framed guy with pretty big back muscles (that hurt like hell cause of being disected for my surgery) and I cant even feel the dip where the lamina they removed used to be. Granted im like 3 weeks post op so things are still kinda swollen.
  • yeah sounds like me bpreachers!

I looked in the mirror at the back and can see the bumps but I guess its still swollen too .
    Keewee
    Discogram Dec 2012
  • That is a seriously impressive xray!
    Keewee
    Discogram Dec 2012
  • Hey, if you are interested, I have those xray pictures in wallet size too.

Dick
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • ;0)
    Keewee
    Discogram Dec 2012
advertisement