Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Feel the hardware?!!!

Comments

• I'm about six weeks postop from an L5-S1 PLIF and was wondering if it was just me. I can also feel my hardware, which was definitely a strange sensation at first, but one I'm adjusting to quickly. I'm of average, healthy weight, so it's not just those who are especially thin!
    Kelsey, 30
    L5-S1 degenerative disc disease/left leg radiculopathy
    Laminotomy/partial discectomy July 2009
    L5-S1 PLIF December 2012
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,111
    My rods from the posterior surgery stick out due to no fat in the area. They stick out so far that my niece tries to put magnets on them

susan
  • advertisement
  • ????
    Keewee
    2 level Discectomy 2000 open surgery
    L4/5 Discectomy & L5/S1 Laminectomy 2005- (Cauda equina) open surgery
    5 x joint injections 2012
    Discogram Dec 2012
    Dec 2012 - 360 Lumbar Fusion L4 -S1(BMP), Disc replaced L3/4, Bilat trocanter injects
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,111
    No they dont but she keeps trying
    Susan
  • That is hilarious!!!!
    Krystal
    L3-4 Grade 2 Spondylolisthesis
    L4-5 Ruptured Disc
    DDD throughout Lumbar spine
  • advertisement
  • Shell2ySShell2y Posts: 80
    edited 01/31/2013 - 5:42 PM
    Hi. on a serious note, I am concerned that the fact that at times I can feel my hardware a lot more than at others is a problem. I had an instrumented L4L5 fusion in early September, and my recovery has been painfully slow. One of the things I noticed after the first fe w weeks was there were times when the hardware really seemed to push out, but I was told by the GP that it was probably just th e muscle spasm, which made sense. When I saw the neuro at 7 weeks she said that it may be the spasm, but there was a bit of a bulge and maybe it was sign of an earlier infection, so to keep an eye on it. The bulging has improved (not the walking or pain) but I still think is very strange. Most of the time it is just a rippled few bumps, regardless if I am standing straight, bending or whatever. Often though when I get up from laying down, particularly if I have been a little curled while sleeping, it is pushed much further out. Normally it settles down gradually and I can then straighten up, but a couple of times it has straightened out with a bit of a sudden crunch and then I can stand straighten out and its back to its normal profile. Does that ever happen to anyone?
advertisement