Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Is PT really worth it?

Comments

• if you was to hire me to teach you how to paint houses and paid me by the hour yes i would take you to all kinds of diferent jobs and i would get paid by the customer of the home owner and by you lol,

When can you start ? Or should i say when am i hired ? Where were you when i was still in business ? i could of used a boss like you lol,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • BobfromNJBBobfromNJ Posts: 28
    edited 01/03/2013 - 8:25 AM
    Thank you so much for your advise. I will certainly remember all those points that you mentioned. I know I have done much research on any doctor I go to now. Guess I will also do the same in picking a therapist if the occasion comes up again.
    Thanks again,
    Bob
  • advertisement
  • I don't even like to paint my own house. Luckily the Mrs knows I have a bad back so I can put it off for awhile. By the way I don't do ceilings, also have a bad neck.
    Thanks,
    Bob
  • Short term people coming out of a knee or hip replacement get good attention and seem happy with their PT. We have three clinics in the area, two owned by surgical practices/centers. In the past four years I have had one post surgical course that lasted four months for neck and shoulder and at least six 4 to 8 week courses dealing with lower back, neck, shoulder and/or arm issues. At both places I went it was the same. A real PT did the eval-in, most of the next appt and the eval-out. Other than that I rarely saw a real PT for 5 minutes of any session. Most sessions were with a 20 year old community college student (PT Tech) who was being paid $11 to $12 an hour, watching 2 or 3 of us ride bikes then go thru our exercise programs and then icing or TENSing us for the last 10 minutes. For that they got my $50 copay plus another $15 to $30 from insurance.

So, NO, I don't think PT was worth it or helped me. If anything, I think my cervical problems and pain were significantly aggravated by it. I now do about 45 minutes of lower back exercises and light neck and shoulder exercises including traction most days plus, either ride my exercycle for 45 minutes or walk for 2 miles.
    C3-C7
    Severe DDD, Severe neural foraminal stenosis at 2 levels, moderate canal stenosis at 2 levels, significantly impaired left shoulder & arm function. Chronic moderate compression fracture at C6.
  • I haven't had any successful PT but I don't necessarily think it's useless either. I did a six weeks of PT for cervical radiculitis. My therapist was great and there were a lot of things done that I didn't have at home (traction, ultrasound, manual stretching and manipulation of my neck). Unfortunately my pain was only getting worse but I don't think it was because of bad PT, only because PT was just not going to solve my problem.

I could see the potential for PT to be a great plan in situations where you need to build up strength and learn about your new post-op body. Or if you have an injury that you are healing from. I have my doubts though that PT can fix anything on it's own, and often it is used as a treatment, when I don't think it is. If it's not going to heal on it's own then I don't think PT alone is ever going to help.
    Microlaminectomy and discectomy at C7-T1 on April 26th.
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
    Look under our FAQ and I have a thread called "The Blend"

Basically, its talking about there is no ONE action/fix/activity that is enough to manage any one suffering from chronic pain.
    Instead, its the combing of several different areas in order to provide total coverage. That does not mean the "Blend" will
    eliminate your pain, but its a concept that everyone needs to think about when it comes to pain management.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • I understand your frustration with having one therapist dealing with two or three other patients at a time. For many years, the office I went to had the same practice, and I found it extremely frustrating. I ended up trying a few different therapists and eventually found an office with a couple of therapists who were very helpful for me; I have been going to PT for over 30 years, and I have finally hit the jackpot. :wink:" alt=":wink:" height="20" /> My latest PT does only manual therapy, which is what I respond best to. She is one of the first therapists I have worked with who 'gets it' when it comes to trying to sort out my body. There were a lot of years when I felt physio was generally a waste of time, but at this point I feel like it is one of my best options.

Hope you find something that gives you some relief.

Tracy
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.