Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

crying

Had a L5S1 fusion 3 weeks ago today. Have been doing great. Minimal pain.. But now crying all the time. Everything hurts my feelings! Im not usually a crier but this is ridiculus. I have been on Celexa (cousin of Lexapro) for several years and man Im breaking right through that!! Did I mention I also don't like anyone??? Is this normal?
advertisement

Comments

• When we are in serious pain we dont like anyone i think is somewhat normal, Pain can cunsume and i am there myself at the moment , Nothing works for the pain and i just had injecrion 2 days ago or somehwere there about ,
    I hate my neighbor, i hate my wife, ok i am not married but if i was i would hate her ! I even hate the neighbors dog right now , I hate cute babies , Babies suck lol.

This is what pain will do to us, Hope you get pain under control and i will try to do the same ! But i am going to kick the neighbors dog 1 st , Best of luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • The side effects of anesthesia can make you depressed. Being in pain doesn't help either. I would call the doctor that prescribes the celexa and see if he can up the dose for you. I had to increase my celexa after the three surgeries I had last year.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • advertisement
  • Thanks for the comments and laughs. I think I will call my GP and see if we should up the celexa for a short time. Im not kidding that just looking at people ticks me off and if anyone dares to hurt my feelings....watch out. Im water works
  • its a reaction to the major surgery .i was like that for at least 6 months the simplest of things would have me crying .even showering would wipe me out and leave me a sobbing wreck ! .now i just get frustrated when i can't do normal stuff like washing myself in the shower{unable to reach certain areas} and things that fall on the floor and i have to retrieve them and if they fall again i get very POed ..SO NO YOU FINE A GOOD CRY HELPS .
    tony{UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Oh yeah, it has been almost 8 months since last surgery and having knee surgery Jan. 18 and I can tell you I have been bawling since I found out about this latest surgery. I have a tendency to bottle it up forever then the silliest little thin will set me off and I will cry for hours. I think it is mostly a combo of frustration and lack of control over everything I used to do. Tony is right better to have a good cry and get it out and will make you feel better. This to shall pass :)

hugs,
    kelli
  • advertisement
  • we have had our guts riped out our back carved up we take super strong pain killers many of us will always be in pain .is it any wonder we cry ?? if i would not have been able to let off some steam by crying god only knows what i would have done .all i know is that sine my second operation my life has been a massive struggle everyday a massive hill to climb .and many days i have just not bothered even trying to climb .some people can cope with anything others can't .i challenge anyone to live a week as me and then see if back pain is all in the mind !!
    tony
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I see here where someone said the anethestic can make you depressed? I'm looking for answers at why I would come out of a successful surgery (C6/C7 fusion) strain my neck by lifting too much, then sink into a major depression/panic.
  • I had to do a research study on the biological causes of depression. If you do an "advanced search" on Google as a "scholar" search, you can find scientific research articles regarding biological causes of depression and depression related to anesthesia" and other related searches to find scientific articles related to your topic.

Surgical anesthetic drugs, along with many other drugs that we take for pain, depression, high blood pressure, muscle relaxants, etc. cause changes in the neurotransmitters in the brain, which then cause fluxuations in the levels of serotonin and norepinephrine. This biological imbalance is what causes the mood imbalances that cause us to have uncontrollable anger, crying, sadness, flat affect, etc.

In other words, yes, anesthetics, along with a whole LOT of other medications, can cause you to be depressed.

How do you fix it?

The key to fixing the depression is in fixing the IMBALANCE in the serotonin and norepinephrine levels in the brain. This can be done with cognitive-behavioral therapy (counseling). It can be done with biological treatment (drugs or herbal supplements that affect serotonin and norepinephrine levels). The fastest way to fix the imbalance is to use both counseling and either medication or herbal treatment as prescribed by your doctor, as doing just counseling or just meds/herbals is not as effective as doing both together.

So... Anyway... I thought this might be useful to some as I thought it was quite interesting when I did the research. This was just what I found in my research of scientific studies done by medical doctors. This is not to be considered as medical advice in any way.
  • sevencielos said:
    Had a L5S1 fusion 3 weeks ago today. Have been doing great. Minimal pain.. But now crying all the time. Everything hurts my feelings! Im not usually a crier but this is ridiculus. I have been on Celexa (cousin of Lexapro) for several years and man Im breaking right through that!! Did I mention I also don't like anyone??? Is this normal?
    It is not normal, apart from taking medicine from any experienced doctor, I would say that keep yourself in good environment, make friends, watch educational TV channels these things would help you a lot.
advertisement