Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Still having back pain post Discectomy

Comments

• purpleppurple Posts: 1
    edited 08/05/2015 - 9:09 AM
    i have had a lamanectomy i had more pain after surgery than before it was done, i encourage everyone to have surgery and get a second opinion done by a well knows surgeon, mine was done by a small town doctor and i think he screwed the surgery up. since i hurt more after surgery than before, for all the next year i was back and forth with my surgeon, for when i could after about 2 weekd he threw me to the dogs, he no longer knew what to do for me so he set me up to see a pain doctor and he was to implant a pain pump (morphine pump) then that doctor referred me out to another doctor to implant the pump, did not know why at first but i called and asked come to find out that the first pain med doctor did not finish his training to put the pump in me (scary) but he was taking patients to service the pumps and implant them???? then i went to find a dr. that could put the pump in after i found one it was implanted, now it was a different doctor that serviced the pump than implanted it...
    so after i went to see my doctor who was going to service the pump ( turn the amount of morphine i was receiving and change the med. inside every 90 days) from the beginning that doctor was giving me 6 10/325 oxy pain oral meds and began turning up the amount in the pump well the next 6+ months went by i was up to 6.096 ml of morphine and still all of my oral meds, i ended up moving over to ohio and found a different pain doctor and he loked at what the pump was suppose to be giving me and the amount of oral meds i was still taking he says you are lucky ur not dead, i said why he says you are on 8000 ml of morphine between u
    your oral mads and what your pump was giving you, he went to change the fluid(meds) in my pump and discovered that i had (now keep in mind that my pump holds 40/ml total of fluid) and he discovered i had 36/ml in my pump now i had gone 4 months without my pump being filled, he said that i should have only 17/ml left but i had 36/ml so he did more tests on me and found out he had to open me back up.
    come to find out the original dr that had put my pump never tied in in place so it kept turninh around and around and eventfully twisted the catheter up in a knot so it had quit working, so i under went yet another surgery in dec to fix the first dr. mess my pump was put in originally in jan 2014 and had to be reworked in dec 2014, but to this day i still have knots in my back and my back still hurts, my back surgery was done in dec 2012 and i am still having problems....

welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
  • LanaLLana Posts: 3
    edited 04/11/2015 - 8:43 AM
    Anakalia, how are you feeling now? Did you have the surgery? Which one?
  • advertisement
  • mvelez8735mmvelez8735 Posts: 3
    edited 08/05/2015 - 12:09 AM
    Going on seven months after surgery. Still having low back pain especially when in bed and end of day. Also pain that radiates from surgery site to hip area . Not able to sleep on right side . When I told my surgeon, he told me to go see a hip dr. I did not have this pain prior to surgery. He would not give me new order for more pt. Only had around 15 treatments. I do what i can at home but still in pain. Very disappointed in my surgeon. I feel he's not concerned. Has anyone had or still having this problem eight months later or did it get better. I have regrets having this surgery.. Any feedback would be appreciated ..

• NickyGNNickyG Los AngelesPosts: 1
    This is so hard reading all of this.  I am so sorry to hear what everyone has been through!  I hope you have found relief.  I am terrified because I think I too am on this journey.  It is wearing on me.  I am still having horrible and new low back-hip pain and some radiating nerve pain down my buttocks and leg.  Mine is the right leg, mostly.  Sometimes I can't sleep because my legs are tingling painfully.  I am 5 weeks post-discectomy and laminectomy L5-S1.  I am worried my condition is worsening.  I have struggled with pain associated with this injury for 4 years.  I haven't been able to work out in over a year.  I have had unbearable pain going on for 5 months now.  I really thought the surgery was going to help me, if not fix me.  Unfortunately, I have to keep working, which aggravates things.  I just want to feel healthy and strong again.  I was such an active person - hiker, walker, yoga, acro-yoga, outdoor sports, kids sports, etc.  I know this post originated years ago so I am not sure anyone else is reading and/or wanting to continue the conversation?
  • fjcfjc451ffjcfjc451 Arlington vaPosts: 11
    2 weeks post op of a laminectomy discectomy on L4-L5 and S1. I still have pain from pre op and a new pain on my right side. Praying that I will be able to rehabilitate from this. 30 year old male here 
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello nickyg!
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Had micro discectomy  in late January  on right side L4L5 doc said I had small herniation on left side but wasn't going  to fix it cause  wasn't giving. Me problem.iam still doing p/t started 3 weeks of stretches  now I have been doing  3 weeks of strengthing . And out of the blue my left side is bothering me just like before I had my surgery  on right side  I have done everything both my dr and therapist  have said  .didn't know if this has happened to anyone  else  wish the surgeon  would of taken care of left side before I don't want to go through this all over again I am so close  to getting  back to my sort of normal  life and w/c
    has made everything  a slow process
  • Sounds more like piriformus syndrome! 
    Also tight IT bands WILL cause knee pain!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Reminder: There are no medical professionals on discussion forum.
    We members respond with shared experiences and none qualified to attempt to diagnose.
    Thank you...
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I had discectomy in 2011 and it worked very well for me as I couldn't even move prior to it. The nerve was as the dr said pinch as in vice grip. Six months post surgery I began have pain again. Started receiving injections and RFA, however in 2012 had to have fusion of L4-5. Was told then that would probably have more trouble above and below fusion due to more stress on those vertebras. And I did 2014 had L2-4 fused. April 2016 had SCS leads implanted and was finally 99% pain free (felt like I received a miracle). However since I didn't follow Dr's advice I overdid had bad fall and now my leads have migrated down one full vertebra and am awaiting appt to have the SCS Paddle implanted.  My advice is find amazing Dr's (which I did) listen to him and to your body and never give up looking for relief and never give up. Wishing you good health 
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.