Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

NEURONTIN..Anyone have good results?

Hi New here so I hope this question is in the right spot :)

Thanks in advance

I have been suffering for 7 months now with arthritis and a bulging disc in the neck,can't walk far or drive and have to spend most of the time reclined in a chair.

Have had mri and all the usual test, steroid injections, nerve block, physical therapy.

My PM dr is recommending Gabapentin before doing a fusion operation to see if it may work.

But with all the horror stories I have read about this,I am wondering if anyone has gotten good results without alot of brain damage.

Very few people have posted good results and I hope not to get surgery.

Thanks for your help :)

ps Great forum here
advertisement

Comments

• Nothing good, only bad reactions getting on, trying to stay on, then weaning off.

But know people who think it is wonderful. We are all different.
    C3-C7
    Severe DDD, Severe neural foraminal stenosis at 2 levels, moderate canal stenosis at 2 levels, significantly impaired left shoulder & arm function. Chronic moderate compression fracture at C6.
  • My best friend takes neurontin (gabapentin) for her nerve damage in her legs and it is the only one that she has had any relief from . Yes, there are side effects but there are those with any medication, over the counter or prescribed that anyone takes, most will dissapate over time, and some level off- gabapentin is one of the most effective meds used for nerve related pain, and taken according to the directions seems to work well . It does need to be titrated properly to get the proper pain relief but once you do reach the right dose, it does work wonders.
  • advertisement
  • I started this medication about three weeks ago and have had good results. I have a bulging disc at L5-S1, causing some moderate sciatica. I take 1200mg per day. I too, have heard bad things about the medicine and was hesitant to try it myself. There is nothing wrong with trying and if it doesn't work, you can say at least you tried it. It may prolong your time before surgery.

Jennifer
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • I've had good results with this medicine. I took it before my surgery to make it till summer (I'm a teacher) and then for post op. I was taking like 6 a day (I had some severe nerve damage) but slowly over the last 6 months I've reduced to just 2 at night. I like it because it isn't a narcotic (I personally try to stay away from those when at all possible) and was easy to ween down as the nerves had time to heal. I had no side effects.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
    edited 01/26/2013 - 6:50 PM
    about 4 years now and it has helped me so much. right now i am on a maint dosage... ...total 2500mg daily
    this has kept my nerve pain under control for the most part. i stll have problems, but without neurotin, i would be having more serious problems.

for me, its just one medication that i take daily. read under our faq, the thread about the blend
    the blend
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • I have been on gabapentin for several years for mood and anxiety stabilizing. My doctor recently upped my dosage to help with the pain (sciatica, muscle spasms, si joint pain, facet joint pain). While it doesn't seem to do really much, I did notice a huge different when we tapered the dosage back down. I also take Tramadol for pain, have been on it since June of last year. I had some bad side effects so we had to significantly lower its dosage and take me off the extended release, which sucks. Gabapentin has definitely made me gain weight, but other then marked sleepiness when increasing the dosage, I have not noticed any other side effects. good luck!
  • It works wonders on my nerve pain. It takes getting used to. I can take it in the day and be fine, but if I take it before going to sleep, I feel out of it for a couple of hours after I wake up. It does not matter if it was overnight or a short afternoon nap. The benefits far outweigh the side effects I have experienced.
  • It worked for me at first. Now it doesn't seem to do anything for me. I should ask the doc to up the amount as my body has become tolerant to the initial amount given.
  • I was on it for 2 months and it did absolutely nothing to decrease my pain. But keep in mind, my pain may/may not be nerve related pain.
  • I have been on neurontin for over 2 years and it really helps with the nerve pain I have in my spine and SI joint. I am fused L1-S1 and having SI joint fusion in the spring.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
advertisement