Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

NEURONTIN..Anyone have good results?

Comments

• southsider81ssouthsider81 Posts: 6
    edited 02/04/2013 - 8:46 AM
    I have chronic neck pain along with a variety of other symptoms related to an undiagnosed condition(s) which include cervical spondylitis, TMJ, osteophyte disc complex, etc.

I have tried every opioid, non opioid, etc medication to help and I had previously been on up to 900mg of neurontin without any noticeable results. This is just me but my regiment now has worked best including: fentanyl patch, cymbalta, Klonopin, flexeril, and diazepam. I find the cymbalta had more of a noticable effect than the neurontin, although never experienced any side effects from the neurontin so I guess it's worth a shot.
  • I have serious back problems, been through 2 surgeries, have Osteoarthritis in spine and knees... Spinal Stenosis, 3 herniated discs, 2 very thin discs, and just a lot of pain.. My family Dr. gave me some sample bottles of Horizant (ER Neurontin)... I had a bad experience with plain Neurontin in the past but as I now have Diabetes and burning and numb feet I thought I would try it... Last night was the first night I had NO problems with my feet... I started using it every night just a few nights ago. So far so good.. the only thing I don't like is that when I wake up mu face and lips feel swollen.
  • advertisement
  • Initially I took this for a 6 weeks but was sick to my stomach all the time (4 pills spread through the day). My Dr. changed it to something else that worked with no side effects but it was not covered by my insurance and was too expensive. Back to the Gabapentin and I ramped up slowly and that helped a bit with stomach upset. I develeoped a routine of eating right before taking my pills since the rest of the time I could not even tollerate the thought of food.
    These also messed up my vision, at some points I could not even see the writing on a page, it was too blury.
    The worst, my hands. They hurt and were swollen. When I was off the pills for 2 months it got better. In the end I stayed on Gabapentin for almost 2 years.. During that time I had horrible pain in my finger joints as they grew larger and larger. It started with my right index and spread to most of my fingers. My last/top joint was way bigger than the lower joint. This was bone build up not just swelling. Of course I was told it would go away when I stopped the meds. I have been off Gabapentin for 3 years because the side effects were too much. I did help with the pain that is why I stuck it out.
    Bit by bit my hands have gotten better. After 3 years I would say 70% inprovement. They still look awful. The top joints are too big, my rings cant get past them. I expect over the next few years continued improvment. The good news while they were huge my nails got really strong (not anymore). My friend, taking 1 pill per day for migrain, had a simlar but less severe reaction. Of course my Dr. says he had never heard this before.
    Dr. try to claim it was Arthritis, tests were negative, and I tested cutting back and knew it helped the joint pain.
    I would recommend you try them and hopefully you will have better results.
    Suzan, hoping to ski again one day
  • jondog1962jjondog1962 Posts: 1
    edited 02/14/2013 - 3:16 AM
    Been on 2400mg for 2 years along with 10-325 perc 4 times a day,its does something,because when i tapered off I started with the hip,groin pain.Make you a little goofy if you take 2 at the same time.By the way the Dr. said it is ok to take all at the same time.Sounded strange,but still wont take all 3 at once.Downfall...heavy sleep,a bomb could go off and id sleep thru it.
  • reesemayrreesemay Posts: 67
    edited 02/20/2013 - 7:03 PM
    Try to take the meds the doc suggests. Give them time to work, dont panic if you have some slight reactions....that is me. I panic over one small reaction. Just read the pamphlets they give you and check the severe warnings and if you do not get any of the severe side effects, just stick the med out and most side effects WILL subside. If you can give yourself a few days say on a weekend while you dont have to work to get used to the med and how it effects you, that is if you are working and just give it some time. Gabapentin has helped me more than I think..my dose was started very low then doubled. Started w/ 900 then increased to 1800 in one dose hike. It reacted to a different med and it was removed from my list of cocktail...try them out and try to get a cocktail that helps you.

Most of it is trial and error till they get you stable. Most of the cocktails are tried and true and have been in use for years. So dont be a fraidy cat like me. Listen to your doc, he knows what is best and with your input about your pain symptoms he can get you where you need to be to function properly. Do try to help yourself by eating the best foods you can. If you are not able to prepare your own foods get a good mix of prepackaged salads and fruit and veggies, yogurt and what ever else you can think of, my favorites are bananas and PBJ and yogurt. They are quick and easy to grab for a snack or just zap your veggies in the microwave, I eat a bag of veggies sometimes for dinner.

Then you can at least know you are still getting some good nutrients in your system to help yourself heal. It is said to try to keep your body moving, so your blood can get to the proper places to help heal. I know it sounds idiotic but do the best you can, light walking, light light stretching can be of great benifit, but please please only stretch until you feel resistance, very lightly. Do that as many times a day as you can.
    I usually do my leg stretches before I go to sleep. It keeps the legs spasms to a minimum I think.
    Ask your doc what you can do safely or ask him if he can get you some instruction from a professional, it will keep the spasms down if you dont over do it, over do it and the spasms come back w/ a vengance!!!!.....ice ice ice. Or you can swich it up...heat ice heat ice. For me at first the ice was the best thing for me. 20 minutes of numbing awsome!!!!
    I know the meds can be scary, but if you are in severe pain, these meds will not have the same effect on you as they will someone not in pain. You might be a little light headed for maybe 2 days or less, but that will soon wear off, it just depends on how your system reacts to it. Everyone is different. So you really wont know until YOU try. Dont drive the first few days if you can get someone else to drive or better yet just stay home till you know how this settles with your system. Better safe than sorry!!! Good luck hope you get some releif soon!

PS
    Just re-read your post...sounds like a last effort to try to get you some relief w/ meds. If I was you I would try everything your doc offers. Gabapentin does make you sleepy at first, but for the pain you are in sleep can be a needed rejuvination and healing on your system. For me that was the only real side effect.
    It can effect your sex life, but right now are you even having a sex life? I think the benifits really outweigh the side effects..for me at least they do.
  • advertisement
  • I'm so glad I saw this post! I take 30mg codeine 4 times a day along with paracetamol. In the evenings I take 20mg amitriptyline and my doctor has just prescribed me gabapentin/neurontin 300mg 3 times a day. I've just taken my first dose a couple of hours ago and I feel a bit spaced out. I need to drive to work and am wondering if I'll become accustomed to the drowsiness and be able to drive whilst on this medication? My poorly back feels so much more relaxed already :-)
  • I like Gabapentin and it seems to calm my nerve pain at L2-L3. I do notice more pain when I have not taken a dose, but I wonder if there's some rebound that may worsen the pain. Thankfully I went cold-turkey on Dilaudid two months ago and my pain decreased significantly, meaning the opiate was causing more pain due to hyperalgesia.
    I will never take opiates again except for surgery or trauma. So now I'm just relying on Gabapentin. It definitely causes somnolence and I would caution against any kind of activity such as driving if you're just starting on it.
    Anyone have good experiences with Gralise, the extended-release version of Gabapentin that you take at night? I found it useless, but maybe didn't give it enough time.
  • i am also curios about gralise, my pain management said they might try me on it. right now i take 300mg of gabapentin 4 times a day.
  • mirandammiranda Posts: 8
    edited 07/26/2013 - 10:25 PM
    ive been taking it for like 2yrs now and at first it worked pretty well but now it dont really the best things out of everything i take is methadone (although you can have risk of dependence as even though its used mainly to get people of narcotics theyre addicted to it can make you addicted to methadone) but ive not had that problem and it works pretty good! it makes me sleepy but your body will get used to it if it does you. if your worried about getting bad side effects from it just read the prescription papers you get in bag when you fill your meds and as long as you dont get the severe side effects or signs of allergic reaction or of overdose youll be ok just stick it out with other side effects.even though alot of people on here are saying they have gained weight i have to tell you i havent gained a pund and i eat alot too! i gained weight on lyrica though so id rather be on neurotin cuz i dont wanna be any bigger than i am already! lol hope this helps! have a great night! :-) <3
    im miranda,im 19,have spina bifida,have severe chronic low back pain,hydrocephelus w/ vp shunt,and have to be always in a wheelchair because i cant walk more than like 5 seconds at one time.
  • techgurl1988ttechgurl1988 Posts: 108
    edited 08/25/2013 - 6:14 PM
    HumptyDumpty said:
    Initially I took this for a 6 weeks but was sick to my stomach all the time (4 pills spread through the day). My Dr. changed it to something else that worked with no side effects but it was not covered by my insurance and was too expensive. Back to the Gabapentin and I ramped up slowly and that helped a bit with stomach upset. I develeoped a routine of eating right before taking my pills since the rest of the time I could not even tollerate the thought of food.
    These also messed up my vision, at some points I could not even see the writing on a page, it was too blury.
    The worst, my hands. They hurt and were swollen. When I was off the pills for 2 months it got better. In the end I stayed on Gabapentin for almost 2 years.. During that time I had horrible pain in my finger joints as they grew larger and larger. It started with my right index and spread to most of my fingers. My last/top joint was way bigger than the lower joint. This was bone build up not just swelling. Of course I was told it would go away when I stopped the meds. I have been off Gabapentin for 3 years because the side effects were too much. I did help with the pain that is why I stuck it out.
    Bit by bit my hands have gotten better. After 3 years I would say 70% inprovement. They still look awful. The top joints are too big, my rings cant get past them. I expect over the next few years continued improvment. The good news while they were huge my nails got really strong (not anymore). My friend, taking 1 pill per day for migrain, had a simlar but less severe reaction. Of course my Dr. says he had never heard this before.
    Dr. try to claim it was Arthritis, tests were negative, and I tested cutting back and knew it helped the joint pain.
    I would recommend you try them and hopefully you will have better results.
    OMG I know this comment is old but I was searching the forums for side effects others have experienced to see if anyone has had the swollen joints in my fingers and here is this post! So I am not alone. My doctor also has not heard of it but joint pain and swelling is a side effect. But now I am worried, 3 years after stopping and you are not 100% back to normal? I have only been on it 2 months so hopefully I will get it back. I am on 300mg 3x a day and then took my self down to 2x a day two days ago until I reach my doctor because of the terrible joint pain. Not just my hands but my ankles, feet, toes, knees. Any joint! This only started after taking gabapentin so I know that is it. Thanks and I hope you are doing better.
    Tracy,

Grade 4 tear in l4/l5 was missed in first MRI so did injections for a year
    SI joints "messed up" not sure if I will get them fused at a later time
    Had Open PLIF L4/L5 5/28/13
    Woke up to permanent nerve damage in legs and feet.
advertisement