Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

For those who have had spinal surgery:

thesilvercordtthesilvercord Posts: 16
edited 01/28/2013 - 7:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I recently had my first back operation, a L5-S1 microdisectomy and I was looking at my online health insurance website, at the claims, and I noticed large charges in regards to nerve testing during the operation:

Nerve Monitoring $0
Test of Nerve Signaling $276.50
Nerve Function Study $64.78
Nerve Testing Near Spine $100
Nerve Testing Near Spine $108
Exercise Nerve Study $69.95
Nerve Testing Near Spine $50
Nerve Testing Near Spine $39.50
Nerve Testing Near Spine $54
Nerve Testing Near Spine 42.66
Nerve Testing Near Spine $399
Nerve Testing Near Spine $364.46
Testing Of Nerve In Muscle $2,442.56
Surgery Brain Wave Monitoring $469.87
Device Electrodes $1,219.75
Conductive Gel $18.50
Nerve Testing Near Spine $372
Nerve Testing Near Spine $352.20
Nerve Monitoring In Surgery $1,775.90
Test Of Nerve Signaling $1,625
Nerve Function Study $733.25
Nerve Testing Near Spine $744
Nerve Testing Near Spine $798
Exercise Nerve Study $505

I'm being charged for all of those things.. Does that seem normal? Do you think it is a mistake? I have United Health Care. It's almost $11-12K alone! I can't afford that.. If I have to pay it, are there ways I can get a lower price by talking to the physician office? Any other advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

advertisement

Comments

• Praise God. It was a mistake. Insurance company said it was billed wrong. I had the surgery at an in network facility, but it was billed as out of network.
  • And I thought my 8k out of pocket max was huge.... sadly didn't take long to hit it either....
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • advertisement
  • My fusion surgery and hospital stay ended up being 85,000 bucks. Luckily insurance paid for it all!
  • bigmamareebbigmamaree Posts: 66
    edited 01/30/2013 - 7:16 AM
    ended up being $60,000. I had a $500 co pay though. I'm still waiting for the bill from the outside company that did the nerve monitoring though. That will up the cost, but the insurance should cover that as well.
    Bigmamaree
    Lumbar DDD
    TLIF 1/2/13
  • I need better insurance. Of course just my ICU stay was $250,000..... but still, 8k out of pocket on a teaching sallary is terrible.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • advertisement
advertisement