Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Burst fracture - Abdominal trauma???!!

Hi All!

Some background - I was rock climbing and fell down 20 feet. I broke my L1 vertebra. It was a 'burst fracture'. I was diagnosed correctly after 2 weeks since the ER that I went to immediately after the fall did not take a xray and hence concluded I had some muscle strain. To help with the muscle issues, they gave me Naproxen tablets.

Now in those 2 weeks (after the fall and before the correct diagnosis) I noticed that my left side of the abdomen had distended. It was kind of sticking out and was rather firm to touch. I searched over the internet and found that 'bloated stomach was a side effect of Naproxen. So I just attributed this to the medication.

Its been almost 6 months after the fall/surgery and I still have that bulging left abdomen. Now since my surgeon made an incision below my lowest left rib, i could still be having that bulge on the left side. But I am not sure if there could be something else going on - like an abdominal trauma which got coupled with the incision during the surgery.

The CT scans for abdomen came clear.

My only concern is - if the bulging was defnitely due to surgery, I should not have seen it in the days following the fall but before the surgery. Also, if Naproxen was the culprit, I would not have this nasty bulge 6 months after the surgery.

Would it be a abdominal trauma issue? Can it go away on its own? Does anybody else have an experience like this?

Thanks.

R
advertisement