Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Need Advice about SECOND possible laminectomy/disectomy

I'm on here looking for some advice on my next move. I'm so frustrated and disheartened as I'm sure many of us have been.

On December 10 after an ongoing issue with what I thought was sciatica I had a full laminectomy and disectomy of L4-L5. At the time I had an extruded disc and was suffering not only excruciating pain but also had numbess starting from my left butt going all the way down to my toes. I was so scared that the pain would never end and I would be numb forever. When the surgery was over I felt an immediate relief and was so optimistic.

Right after the New Year in addition to following everything my surgeon said I had a shooting pain from my lower back down to my knees on the back of both of my legs. I relaxed that whole day and when I stood up I buckled from the pain and immediately suffered numbness in my right leg that went from my right upper thigh to knee and then my right heel. The feeling has not come back since and the pain though not as sharp comes and goes. I'm walking with a mild limp as a cause.
I'm still in recovery from my previous surgery having good days and bad. With that said I've gone to get a second MRI and what was a small herniation of L5-S1 is now a protrusion pressing on the right S1 nerve as well as L5. My surgeon says that he can go back in to fix this. He also recommended trying steroid shots.

I'm 30 years old. Prior to all of this I was in great shape, practiced yoga, and did cross fit. The pain started in October and really set me back. I haven't been able to work out and my muscle tone is deteriorating which I know I can get back. I'm just worried that this could potentially become a cycle for me. I've been told that this second surgery could lead to more. I've recently had to drop out of nursing school along with having to leave my job as a bartender to recover. I'm nervous that if I get this second surgery it's going to cause more. I'm afraid that I will start school and my job again only to be in the same position I am now.

Has anyone every been through this or have any advice?
My options are do nothing, epidural/steroid shots or the surgery. Or I suppose I could try all three.
Any advice or even someone who has gone through this would be appreciated I just want to know someone gets it.
advertisement