Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

My back surgery replacement of T12 vertebrae and recon structure after failed surgery in 2012

Hi
I wanted to wright this before now as I had my surgery on 16th jan, anyway three weeks later here it is. I had to have this surgery as the one I had last year failed to work as per my previous posts.
I arrived at hospital on the 16th @ 07.00 and was admitted to the admission ward, I met the consultant again and the anaesthetist they explained what was going to happen, the removal of T12 and replace and remove all old metalwork that they could as one of the screws had snapped and may not come out, then replace it with new and a lot bigger, the operation should take about 7 hours.

I then got took down to get put to sleep, that's it I don't remember anything else for the next three days, this is what I have been told by the wife who of course was going round the bend with worry (Carol) as the operation took nine hours instead of seven.
After the operation I was moved to intensive care carol came to see me, I was wired up to all the machines you can think of, I had five canulars in my neck, a catheter to drain away urine,and also a chest drain, I had a button in my hand, that I had to press if I needed morphine pain relieve when pressed it would release morphine, or so they told carol, but each time it was empty it left the results, and out of 400 presses I only got about 77 shots, think I must have been a wimp asking for to much....lol .

I then started to remember things, I had been awake and talking to people, but just didn't remember drugs I think, they said I was getting transferred to a ward but had to remove the chest drain first, to stop infection.

I was transferred to the ward @ 20.00 hrs, the next day I remember them telling me what they had done, and why I was very short of breath, to my shock they told me they collapsed my lung during the operation to allow them to get access to the vertebrae, this took three days to re inflate fully, this was painfully and needed physio to puff it up, they also told me that they had to cut a chunk out of one of my ribs to enable them to get to the vertebrae to, this is still sore, they took bone grafts of my hip, they then got on with the op, and he said all went good and he was pleased with the outcome, if you look at my profile pic that is my new repaired back, the thing instead of vertebrae T12 is what they call a acro prop, the repair looks good to me, but I can't tell at the moment, because when I was in hospital I got a huge lump appear on my left hand side stomach and the pain from this drowned s out any other pain as it is very painful. I have had all sorts of scans on this and they say it is fluid , gas, and swelling from the operation, and will go away in time.

My stay in hospital was not great I think due to the cocktail of meds I was on, I hated going to sleep as I went to places you would never want to go to ( hallucinations ) I was phoning Carol at all hours thinking we were together in these places, think she thought I was going mad.....lol.

After my two week stay in hospital I am now home, still got my big lump and it is still very painful, I feel better to be home, hallucinations have now stopped and I don't feel to bad, I can walk on crutches, the next goal is for this lump to go and then I can see what if any pain I have in my back, but I don't think it will be to bad.

The painkillers I am on are oxycodone & oxynorm , Tramadol, Pragabilin and paracetamol , all to be reviewed in a months time.

As you can imagine I sometimes still feel a bit high on all these meds, can't wait to be up and about.

Thanks Ian

I am really looking forward to the outcome of this operation because I have a good feeling about the results
advertisement