Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lower back pain during bowel movements

Curious if anyone else has experienced lower back pain during bowel movements. I have had a herniated disk at l4/l5 for a year now and I am waiting to speak to a surgeon.

I've been able to function somewhat normally for most of this time but this new pain is totally new and a little concerning. Is this just a sign it's getting worse? The MRI suggested pressure on the nerves but not my spinal cord. Not sure if it's something I should go back in about.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi,
    Based on the cause, Lower back pain can cause a variety of signs. The discomfort may be dull or sharp. It may be in one small place or over a wide place.Most of Lower back pain is short-term and will go away in a couple of several weeks. It is more likely to become long-lasting if you are frustrated or under pressure.

thanks
  • I know it's not a nice subject to talk about, but my lower back pain always increases when the bowels are involved - whether it's a movement, constipation, diarorrhea (sp?). Anything affecting my bowels impacts on my back pain, so you're definitely not alone.

My advice would be to discuss it with your surgeon when you meet him next so, if necessary, any further tests can be done so you can be reassured that everything is OK.
    SUE
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • advertisement
  • SueD said:
    I know it's not a nice subject to talk about, but my lower back pain always increases when the bowels are involved - whether it's a movement, constipation, diarorrhea (sp?). Anything affecting my bowels impacts on my back pain, so you're definitely not alone.

My advice would be to discuss it with your surgeon when you meet him next so, if necessary, any further tests can be done so you can be reassured that everything is OK.
    Has it always been that way for you? Because I've had problems with my back for a long time now but this pain is new. I'm also curious if your back pain is due to nerve pressure or maybe if you know what has caused your own problems.

Thanks for the response.
  • paininohioppaininohio Posts: 240
    edited 02/21/2013 - 3:13 AM
    Sue, I never really thought that much about it but now that i think about it, I get worse pain during that "time" also. Especially when I'm constipated. My hips even tend to be more sore than normal. I agree its a goofy subject so-to-speak, but that's one of the things that I love about this site, you can talk about those kinds of personal things that might be more embarrassing in person, but yet it impacts all of us CP sufferers.
  • Do your best not to bear down when going, cause that will make you hurt even more. If you are taking pain meds they do cause you to get backed up :) Yea I know this is a delicate subject, but it hurts like hell, to me it felt like I was being ripped in two. Just dont push hard and try not to cough, and what ever you do dont prop yourself up in bed and cough....uuuggghhh aweful aweful pain. Get yourself some stool softeners or exlax and or ask your doc for something in an RX. They can give you a powder that has no taste that you mix with somekind of fluids.
    Sometimes I use the exlax and it still takes me days to go. Also their are pillows that have cutouts in them that you can use to sit with. Maybe that can help you some. Might be worth a try? Do tell you MD what you are feeling, they know more what is happening than we do, we can only tell you from our experiences. I too had this and it takes a little while for it to go away. Just try not to do anything to make it worse. I think the pain will be enough to stop you :)
  • advertisement
  • Just to answer your questions:

Has it always been that way? Yes, pretty much. Although my 'acute' back pain started in February 2005, as I was opening my dishwasher door of all things. My back 'went' and I fell to the floor, Before then, I used to experience discomfort from the time I had my second daughter (25 years ago). I insisted on having an epidural for pain relief during labour and the doctor tried 3 times to get it in. It caused so much pain I told him to take it out immediately. But, ever since then, I used to get awful lower back pain for a week before each monthly cycle.

I've had many years of trying different treatments, steroid injections, radio frequency ablations, you name it, I've probably had it. I had my 6th back operation last week to permanently implant an scs device, but I don't consider this to be negative because, so far, it's helping me.

I've tried many different courses of pain relief medication over the years too. It's the pain meds that muck with my insides and cause the constipation in the first place. Sometimes, I don't even think a bomb would help!!! Whoever suggested a 'stool softener' is right - I use Movicol and whilst it isn't pleasant, does make things 'easier' so-to-speak.

Source of back pain? At first it was muscular problems. Then, over the years, I've had problems with 2 of my discs (DDD). After an intensive course of chiropractic sessions I experienced sciatica for the first time. The leg pain from that carried on for years and has only been irradicated by having the scs implant. Also, I had pain from facet joint osteoarthritis and right foraminal stenosis. After I had 2-level fusion in 2010, I now experience pain from sacro-iliac joint dysfunction. It's on both sides, but much worse on the right. This has been caused purely from having the fusion surgery.

There. That's me in a nutshell. There are some other pain issues going on relating to my back, but I won't go on about it all otherwise my post will end up as a book!!!

I hope you can get to chat with your health professionals soon so that something can be done to ease your pain. Good luck.
    SUE
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • jeffj4231jjeffj4231 Posts: 3
    edited 07/26/2014 - 3:35 AM
    Ive been experiencing lower back pain for years. My doctor has treated it from the starter pain meds to norco for the last 6 years+ . Now again meds do little, ive told my doctor the same as above. I know, as well as my coworkers when im going to have a bowl movement (soft,hard,liquid,doesnt matter what kind).becuse of increase lower pain starting 1/2 hour to hr before. All iv had is back xray, which shown fine.
    Depending on what im doing, how long im on my feet makes it close to unbearable at times. As if a knife is twisting between my lower spine. Ive had wife try to massage area, people walk on area, heat,ice,also seen a chiropractor for years during, nothing works. The area feels to me that its on the inside or other side of the spine, if that makes any sense. I can make my back cramp or spasm just by moving in different ways. I dont know what to do, make my doctor do mri? Will it fine issue? Any help would be wonderful. Ty
  • LizLiz Posts: 9,620

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • jeffj4231jjeffj4231 Posts: 3
    edited 07/26/2014 - 3:30 AM
    Im in 40's and not over weight. If i said what makes it the worst is walking/ standing. If i try to say walk the dog around the block, within 1/4 to 1/2 mile the knife or sharp pain is just awful. And then theres nothing i can do to make it dull? And as well i am at this time seeking help, advice for the issues, even though my wife has been there through it all, has the nerve to now say im addicted or at times say im an addict, to the pills. I know im dependent and I would love not to be on anything, and that is my goal. Ty
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.