Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Left side L5-s1 annular rim tear

Hi folks, new to the site. Anyone know if a annular rim tear can be repaired ? My consultant has suggested fusion but don't want to go this route.
advertisement

Comments

• I have an alternative to fusion. Laser surgery with use of gelstix to pump up the degenerated disc or laser disc decompression plus Laser foraminoplasty. Anyone got a view on any of this?
  • Hi, welcome to the forum! I have a couple of questions. #1 when you say your consultant, do you mean an orthopedic surgeon? If not, who is the consultant? #2 Where do you live? I know in America many of the "new" procedures for the spine are not FDA approved so finding a surgeon trained in these can be difficult. It can also be very difficult to get insurance to cover. However, I'm very interested in hearing about them....
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • advertisement
  • Yes, orthopedic surgeon. It is another orthopedic surgeon that has offered the laser treatment. Unlike the fusion, It is not covered by my insurance and so i will need to raise £15000. This is why i am keen to find out other views. Don't want to waste my money but would be more than glad to if there was likely a positive outcome. From what i can gather, the surgeon offering laser treatment is highly qualified.
  • you'll have to post your outcomes for us! Good luck!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Will do. Thanks. Likely to be late april/ early may.
  • advertisement
advertisement