Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Sneeze~OUCH!!

Who would have thought a sneeze could cripple you? So after having a week of this muscle spasm, cramping in my left calf and ankle, I was at work today sneezed and literally dropped to the floor in PAIN!! The electrical shock that struck me dropped me like a sack of potatos!!

Suffice to say now NOT ONLY am I experiencing the calf/ankle problem I am now having a tingly feeling in my calf and heel, I have this shooting pain from my back down the back of my thigh to my knee.

#justwanttocry
advertisement

Comments

• MRI?
  • You didn't really say what is wrong, or any past/current treatments... so not sure if you have "injured" something. However, I can just tell you from previous experiences... I try very hard to press against something (desk/wall) before sneezing/coughing. Sure, I look like a fool, but I find that it does help.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • advertisement
  • Had 2 level decompression 5 years ago L4-5, L5-S1, surgery went well haven't had any problems until about a week ago...I'm not sure if this is related to my back or what.
    Frequently I am having this CRAZY cramp, spasm in my left calf that seems to wrap around my outer lower leg into my foot, it locks my left foot and nothing I do stops the cramp or locking, I have tried stretching it out which makes it worse, can't walk on it, then when it finally stops I am unable to lift my left foot off the ground for about 5-10 mins.
    I have been taking Magnesium which has not seemed to help. Any advice would be helpful.

Then the other day I sneezed and now the pain has increased into that shooting pain down my left leg and if I try to bend over LOOK OUT!!

Ugh!! I don't want to have to go through this all again!!
  • I'm affraid you are about to go through it again. Sorry. I suggest getting back to your surgeon (or another one if needed) sooner rather than later. You probably need some updated images and a plan. Hopefully the plan will not include surgery, but regardless you don't want it to get worse. I am way too formiliar with the cramps you are talking about, and I know you don't want many more days/nights with that.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • OMG!!! This is CRAZY!!! Does ANYONE have any advice on what they do for muscle spasms? It's almost like I lose control of my ankle and toes when the spasm start in my calf!! I have NEVER experienced anything like this before, before my surgery I had pain down the leg etc but not this spasm stuff!!! It is unrelenting!! I am so sorry for whining I am just at my wits end and DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!
  • advertisement
  • I stretched in bed and blew a disk, so I'm sure a sneeze can do it. The pain ran down my right leg and crossed over the front of my lower leg to my big toe. i had to get a multilevel fusion. Sneezes are horribly painful after my fusion that I make weird sounds trying to control the sneeze. Lol
    NeNe keep us posted, I pray your issue is a minor fixable one.
    AllMetal - I have read many of your posts and appreciate of all your advice. I will try to brace against a wall when I sneeze. I wish you didn't have to gain your knowledge through suffering from back problems.

I wish these forums had a "like" button like Facebook and an "I will pray for you" button. It is so sad there are SO MANY of us suffering from spinal injuries, surgeries and pain.

Hugs to you both
    Sue
    Multi-level fusion L4-s1 Nov 5th 2012
    Disc surgery Aug 2002
  • KeytanKeytan Posts: 41
    edited 07/02/2013 - 6:43 PM
    deleted
  • When I was in the waiting room at the ortho doc I talked with a patient who was recovering from a 3 level cervical fusion. When I asked him what happened he said he had no prior back issues. He sneezed and fell to the floor in agony.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • I'd love a "like" button on here... or a "thanks that was helpful" button... or a "in my prayers/thoughts" button.... I'd also love some kind of calendar option where you can "add" people you have met on here to your calendar and post when appointments/surgeries/tests/ were so we could keep track, inquire how everyone is doing, etc. I know that's not the idea of a "forum", but it would still be cool none the less.

And Nene, I do hope you are feeling better and getting some relief.
  • Thanks EVERYONE for your support!! I am SOOOO happy to have found this forum, it's great to be able to talk to people who ACTUALLY understand what you're talking about and especially make you feel like you're not going through this alone.

I can't lie I am losing my mind out of fear that I have done some damage back there cuz I KNOW what I am feeling isn't normal...I can't even drive for more than 10 mins without the pain getting intense and my foot going all tingly...I know that can't be a good sign, it's seems like everyday and new symptom starts, or maybe it's all in my head....I have been trying to do the cobra stretching and other exercises but I don't know if that's what's making my symptoms worse or what.....I had an appt with my family dr tomorrow but they called me today to tell me that his office is closed due to an emergency for the week (just my luck!!)
    I REALLY hope I'm not driving everyone crazy with my complaining!! If I am just tell me to shut up!!

But I'm going to say it again how truly grateful I am for all the advice!!

I as well agree with the ideas of the 'like' buttons etc....the calendar is a GREAT idea!! I'm sure people have met some awesome friends on forums like these.

Hope you are ALL having a PAIN-FREE day!!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.