Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Old man winter

I had spinal fusion on Dec. 27th. I was feeling pretty good and last Tuesday night I went outside and had ice on my shoe. I stepped on the hardwood floor and fell flat on my butt. It was the worst pain I have ever had. I could not move. My husband called the squad and off I went to the hospital. I was so afraid that I messed up my l4 l5 fusion but it was fine. I had a compressed fracture on l1. I was fitted for a brace and Dr. is hoping that it will mend. I have to wear for 3 months. I am going to be very bored as I can't do anything.
advertisement

Comments

• A turtle shell brace? If so, I'm very sorry. I slipped on my floor in the laundry room and I think it scared me more than anything else thank goodness. Hopefully you are feeling better.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • That is exactly what I am wearing. It is so unfortable. I cannot put it on myself. I am suppose to wear it for 3 months. I don't know if I will survive it.
  • advertisement
  • You'll survive it.... but you will also be miserable. I'm sorry. For the first two months I had to lay down and my husband strapped me in. By the last month, I was able to do it myself. What are you wearing under it? I know I was told to buy men's undershirts in a size smaller than I would normally wear. Apparently people have good luck with that. I did not. (I did like the v neck better than the round neck as I sweat(ed?lol) a lot under that stupid brace. I honestly found that the leotard style "girdle" things in a soft non too tight fabric worked best for me. On a side note one of my friends decorated it with my name and the wonderwoman logo. It was no cape, but it did make me smile on a daily bases.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • dbarbeau48ddbarbeau48 Posts: 364
    edited 02/25/2013 - 5:15 AM
    Boy do I know how you feel having to wear that brace. I had to wear one for 18 months straight following a spinal infection and then a 5 level fusion a year later. Believe it or not, you will get used to it. My biggest problem was weaning myself off the brace becaue my core muscles became so weak. Hang in there.

Dick
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • 18 months? I have been too chicken to ask my surgeon if I'll have to wear mine again following my next surgery. I figured if he said yes I might seriously consider Mexico as a possible escape route. But never did I dream I might have to possibly wear it LONGER than 3 months....
  • advertisement
  • I had to wear a chairback brace with a belly plate for two months post ONE level fusion anytime I was out of bed. Every time I put that thing on, logrolling onto it, and pulling the ripcord handle, I felt like that scene in Gone With the Wind where Scarlett O'Hara was being compressed in her corset.

Tank tops, and what old ladies call "leisure bras" worked pretty well under the brace. I developed a routine where I logrolled onto the leisure bra, and hooked it up, Then I could compress the mattress with one hand, slide the old tank top off, and slide the new one on. Then I rolled onto the brace and snugged up, and then got up. I went with tank tops so I could easily wash my armpits and put on deodorant.

When they finally let me out of the iron maiden (one of the more printable things I called that thing,) I was so ecstatic that I forgot to ask them if I could finally take a tub bath--LOL! I was thrilled for a few hours, and then every stinking muscle in my lower torso was screaming in protest at the idea of holding me in an upright position. I lost almost all my core strength, and am now in PT trying to get it back.

However, my neurosurgeon told me to throw the chairback and belly plate into a bag, put it in the closet, and leave it there for a year. "Then, if all goes well, you can burn it and do a war dance around it as the flames rise! Call me, I'll come out and video it!"
    I'm not a spinal diagnosis. I'm a human being with a spinal diagnosis.
  • Was something that was seriously mooted in my Surgeon's waiting room. I also did the 12 week imprisonment stint and agree that a longline cotton stretch top underneath is the most comfortable. Horrid thing is still in my garage and bares its fangs at me when I wander in.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,284
    When fusion was not considered for white collar workers (big mistake, and not the medical field understands that)
    I had my first lumbar (L4/L5) surgery back in 1978. My hospital stay was almost 2 weeks. And when I was finally released from the hospital,I had to wear a back brace 24x7 for 18 weeks. I was home and out of wok for over 6 months.

I know now and I believe the medical field understands now, that the use of a back brace after surgery is only going to
    extend the recovery time. I was so weak after wearing that brace, that it was so difficult to do just about anything.

It was only because my wife was in the medical field and show that that that treatment was wrong, did shd have me walking and exercising. Because of her intervention, I am know able to d so much more.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • It is all very interesting about the brace and issues associated with it. In 1989 I didn't have a brace nor body cast which my parents had heard all about. I did great without either, though it worried my parents. Obviously this past summer my doctor made me wear mine when I was out of the bed for 3 months. And I did have some extensive fusion going on... However, I had to do all of my physical therapy without the brace. I was very concerned about this, but just like you said, I had to rebuild those muscles, and that couldn't happen in the brace. Both my surgeon and physical therapist thought the safest thoughts were to be out of the brace when I was properly supervised. And at three months I had to "ween" myself off the brace because at that point it was time to "fish or cut bait".
  • I had a one level TLIF at L5/S1 and my surgeon told me that the braces tend to not work well for women, so he only prescribes them for people that want one. I tried the brace as part of conservative treatment and hated it (my hip to waist ratio is huge, so all it did was ride up above that joint and cause more pain).
    1/16/2013 Minimally invasive TLIF with rods, screws, and cage on L5/S1 joint to treat grade 2 spondylolysthesis, pars defect, degenerative disc disease. Dealt with chronic pain & nerve issues since at least 2007.
advertisement