Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

2 years after ALIF after failed PLIF

I guess this is my final official Recovering from Surgery post as my doc said it would take 2 years to get well.

In celebration and to mark reaching my official rehab goal I flew my parafoil kite today for the first time in 4 years! And I could.

Interestingly, I was having increasing discomfort over the last few days which is very clearly related to a two-week-sat-on-my -bum in front of the computer 14 hours a day to finish out a project. Usually I am pretty good about keeping active and have found that my fuelband points need to be between 2500 and 3000 a day to keep pretty much pain free. If I slow down, I seize up and get sore and the temptation is there to grind to a halt. My experience says DON'T!

A large, large part of my success story is to not be afraid to walk, and walk and walk some more. For me this has been an hour or hour and a half a day, with a headlight in winter. It's been worth it.

The second secret is to work on your core. Do the exercises the PT prescribes. Even when they hurt (and you've checked with the PT that you're doing them right). I really saw my strongest progress after I got my core much stronger.

And I don't care what people say, an excellent mattress does make a huge difference. I am using a 2400 pocket spring traditional mattress stuffed with natural materials (wool and silk) now and wake up pain free.

There are many, many ups and downs on this path to wellness and it was longer and harder than I would ever have imagined.

advertisement