Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

Anybody know of CVS new Policy on not more than #90 Oxycodone

TerriPTTerriP Posts: 301
edited 11/03/2014 - 2:17 PM in Pain Medications
I was just in formed that CVS has a new policy they cannot fill a prescription for more than #90 (mine is 10mg) oxycodone or percocet. That this 'policy has been in effect for a few months but just now enforcing it. So 45 days ago I filled a Rx written for #180 tabs a 45 day supply. Today they would not fill 150 tabs, 1 month supply. Which is not to exceed 5 per day. Last month it was 4 per day. They said "the dea is enforcing now"?????? I live in Florida. Has anyone heard of this new policy???
advertisement

Comments

• more and more doctors are adhering to specific prescribing guidelines as to how much medication they can prescribe for a specific time period. My doctor told me that #90 oxycodone for 30 days was the max. In some cases, the maximum allowable is derived from insurance companies.

That being said, the maximum may be blamed on the DEA when really it is insurance companies that are driving the train.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I can only have #90 filled on my Hydrocodone 5/325 at a time but I can fill every 2 weeks. The pharmacy has nothing to do with it but my insurance is as EMS Guy said driving the train. So each month instead of paying one co-pay I have to pay 2 co-pays. You also need to make sure that Rx is written for only amount they will fill because if doctor writes Rx for #180 and your insurance will only cover # 90 at a time you will lose the other #90 as they will not hold rest of prescription to fill later. There are so many new rules regarding narcotics that it is hard to keep up with. I work in a doctors office and know that alot of times we will be informed by pharmacy when there is a change in how a patient's insurance will pay for their meds. The insurance companies will constantly blame on doctors and pharmacies . Very frustrating for me as a pain patient as well as working in medical field.

kelli
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,250
    problems filling Oxycodone 5mg with a 120 count at CVS in CT
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • backbback Posts: 190
    edited 03/21/2013 - 5:50 AM
    As others have said, this is most likely an issue with the insurance company. My insurance company limits chronic pain patients such as myself to #180 oxycodone per month. My prescription is for a #240. I talked to my insurance company (CIGNA) and explained the situation. I was granted a waiver after my doctor filled out some paperwork to justify my condition. Originally, this waiver was for a period of 6 months, which has been extended to a 2 year period after my last renewal.

Talk to your insurance company, they should have procedures in place to accommodate the exception to the rule.

B.
  • CVS. Insurance covered 180 tabs 6 weeks ago WHEN It was filled at the same CVS by a different pharmacist, the head pharmacist actually, filled the #180. The pharmacist yesterday said it's "CVS POLICY as of 2-3 months ago" She apparently can opt to follow this or not. The manner in which she handled my questions was so disrespectful. I spoke to the CVS I had been using for 2 years by where I used to work. No formal policy, the individual pharmacist at any store can opt to dispense no more than 90 or fill whats written. Had the head Pharmacist been working yesterday he could have filled the full amount as he did the last couple of months. Anyway, she had me in tears. Very disrespectful. Today when I went to pick up the Rx's I told her that. Told her I felt humiliated and If it was blood pressure medication I was getting I would have felt different. My Dr.'s office called at 7pm last night, they were not happy. Dr's PA did inform me that The DEA is targeting some pharmacy chains and going in and ripping the pharmacist license off the wall. I feel for them. Its very bad in Florida. Im a 56 year old female with a lot of spinal pain. The pharmacist was a young women who really dealt with me as a threat of some sort. I dont want empathy from her. Just a tad of respect as Im a human.
  • advertisement
  • 1ofmanyinpain11ofmanyinpain Posts: 60
    edited 07/26/2013 - 7:25 PM
    I have scripts for 120 10 mg. Oxycodone, and 120 15 mg. Roxicodone. I think the Dr. did that so I would NOT have trouble filling them for any reason... Now, both scripts are signed by the same Dr. on the same DAY with no problems whatsoever....I don't use CVS but I can imagine the problems...
  • When I was looking for a new pharmacy closer to home than to work after I lost my job, I went into walgreens. After almost an hour at the computer the Pharmacist said "Walgreens has a ??????? Policy and could not fill my Rx's" I take or took Robaxin a muscle relaxer with the pain medication. He told me too much stuff. It's very frustrating. I can it coming soon in South Florida I wont be able to get it filled. That is scary. The ma and pa stores wont carry it and grocers, I havent tried but I dont think so. Like they force you to "hop around" Im just so frustrated. Im due to schedule surgery for the SCS, like next week. I dont want to be stuck after surgery with my regular pain and surgery pain. AND have to drive all over town 16 days post opt looking for medication as will only fill every 18 days. Thank you for letting me vent.
  • I have not had a problem filling 120 5/325 hydrocodone at Walgreens in Michigan. I have been getting my hydro filled at the same Walgreens for a couple years now.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Donnabe, Hydrocodone is only a schedule III drug (for now that is), most of the other ones are schedule II. I am prescribed 90 10/325 Percocet in Ohio and never had any problems other than once, they had to give me brand because they were out of the generic. I actually prefer the grocery store pharmacies. For some reason, they just seem a lot nicer. Maybe because I also show up with a cart full of groceries. 8-)
  • Paininohio- very true. I hope they don't change hydrocodone to schedule II. I heard it is a possibility.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.