Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Got a date

I finally got a date for my permenant stimulator on April 26. I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of the dr only doing a epideril and not putting me under? I requested to be put asleep but he kept saying he recommend that I be awake. I don't think I'm gonna be alright with that. Has anyone else had a epideril for a stimulator? I mean I'm so ready for this but I just have not heard of this before. He also said that he wasn't sure of what kind of lead he was going to use a paddle or what so I'm still not sure of that! I'm getting a lumbar stimulator and my trial went good. I'm just a little confused!
advertisement

Comments

• Local injection is often done ! Not all injections you have to get sedation, I avoid sedation due to if you get sedation you need a driver and it becomes a pain in the ass having to have someone take off work to drive you when injection is fast and a Valium before the injection to me is as good as the slight sedation they use ,

But why the injection if you getting the scs implant ? For the implant yes they will put you under twilight sedation very light so they wake you up to ask you if lead feels ok where it was placed,

The procedure is not at all painful other then where the unit gets placed under the skin,

Good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I'm ready but nervous for my permenant stimulator on the 26th of April. I talked to my Medtronic rep and he seems to know more and can keep me more calm than the doctors can. He explained to me a little about the procedure and said that they will be doing a epideril at first and then when they get the stem in the right position then i will be under sedation. I will be under a twilight state at first just like my trial. Has anybody else went through this type of procedure like mine? If so please let me know. This is getting put in this Friday and I just want it to work! I had just never heard of nobody having a epideril for this before. Now don't get me wrong I've checked out the dr and he is supposed to be very good at his job and I'm comfortable with him I just didn't know about the epideril. I guess I'm just nervous.
  • advertisement
  • I go to surgeon next Monday for cervical. I have never heard of epidural????? Please keep me posted. Had my trial done months ago. Been just too chicken, but I cant take it anymore. I will read your past posts. It would help me to know about how long till approved for perm. Good luck!!!!!!!
  • I would be confused too, I thought if you were having the paddle placed,you needed to have some of your bone removed and thus be put under but i am not a doctor so don't listen to me.

I'm about ten days post implant, if you have any questions that I can help with, please let me know.
  • Im not getting a paddle in neck. No surgeon round here will do it for Medtronics. They do prefer for paddle lumbar.
  • advertisement
  • I go in tomorrow for my perm stimulator but, still not sure if I'm getting a paddle or what. I am getting a Medtronics unit implanted. The dr said that it was a out patient surgery and I will be going home the same day which I'm ok with. Has anyone else had a same day surgery and then went home? It just sounds like the surgery is more than what my dr is making it sound like! I know if I get a paddle lead then I won't be going home the same day. I know I'm just nervous and will be fine!
  • Cervical get leads not paddles-Is what I have heard. That would also be why it is an outpatient surgery. The parts that go onto your spine are comparable to what you had during your trial.
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 558
    edited 05/06/2013 - 2:40 PM
    If they are just placing leads it a lot more simple. If they place paddles then they have to do laminectomys to get the paddles placed and attached . Much more involved then using perc leads which may migrate much easier.
    I was given two paddles with laminectomys and it was still done as a out patient and I went home that afternoon.
    It worked out OK but I would of preferred to stay one night for better pain control but my doctor wanted me out of the hospital asp because of the chance of infection. Perc leads with out laminectomy would be much quicker but those leads may migrate more so then a paddle. Keep in mind there is not always room for a paddle also. The perc leads I am talking about are just like the leads used for your trial, they are just placed completely under your skin with the generator.

Good luck and I hope it works for you
  • I made it home from the hospital and my surgery went alright! All of you were right the surgery pain is very hard to take. It's Sunday and I had my stem put in on Friday and I still can't move at all. My dr put in a paddle implant at t10 area. My Medtronic rep said that I could turn on the stem but I'm in to much pain still. I still can't get out of bed or even twist a little bit in bed it just hurts to bad. I can't wait until I can turn the stem on and start feeling some relief. I gotta go to much pain will try to get back on later.
  • Get through the first week and things will improve. It is tough but we all made it through, and so will you! I know you hurt but you should try to walk a little, get the blood flowing, it will ultimately help you heal.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.