Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

First post 5 months

This site has helped immensely in my recovery, it has been a great resource . I feel it is time to pay back and share my experiences. I had a S1/L5 fussion from a moderate vertebra slippage that mostly affected my left leg, right before surgery I could not walk more than 50 feet. I was on pain Meds 24/7 but continued to work on a limited basis. My wife had to drive me everywhere. My job requires a lot travel so I was grounded, I was able to work from home and went into the office a few hours a day. I was grateful they allowed me to do that. My surgery was on Nov. 8th and was in the hospital for 2 1/2 days. I felt I was released to soon as the next few days were very hard . My left leg was much better after the surgery minor numbness. I was able to wean myself off pain Meds after 3 weeks. Needing to take them to help with sleeping. I felt I was on schedule as far as my recovery was going, but as I would go walks I experienced chest pain. I had a minor heart attack in 2007 so I knew what was going on. I went to see my cardio doctor and had an angiogram. It revealed a blockage of my right coronary artery. It was caused by a blood clot sometime after the surgery at the time I was in so much pain I could not pinpoint when it happened. It was determined the clot was stable but untreatable because of the scar tissue that developed around it. They arenot going to do bypass surgery as my other arteries are clear. The hope is I will develop collateral blood to take over for the block artery. So dealing with recovery from the back surgery and heart issues I slipped into depression . It has discussed by many on this forum and it is real and can take you by surprise. I felt I was not going to be the person I used to be ,that he was gone forever.Fast forward two months, in March I started PT after the first session I came home and cried it hurt so much, real tears ! I spoke my doctor and the Pt people and they adjusted the routine to prevent that. PT should not hurt that much. I am on my sixth week of PT and doing much better. I went back to work 2 1/2 months after surgery too soon! Don't be tempted to go back before you are ready. I am five months out and working 40 hours a week and I feel that is too much. Before the surgery my work week was 60 + and lots of travel. I just took my first trip a vacation to Maui, I did fine getting away was just what I needed you should all get away and reward your caregiver also. My wife has been a rock through all of this and I could not gotten through this without her. It has brought us closer and helped us to focus on what is really important. I am sorry this is such a long post but I needed to share my journey with all of you that have helped me so much. I have more to say but that will come later.

Blessings to all of you!


  • So happy your coming along good. I know it seems like forever for us spinies to heal.I too would not get through this surgery and recovery without this site. The people have been so helpful. Good luck with your recovery kathy
    Kathy B
  • How did you do sitting on the airplane that long?
  • advertisement
  • Since my last post I flown several times close to 10,000 miles. A half dose of pain Meds really helps but getting up every hour or so is what I need to do. I returned to my gym doing very light activity, makes me feel more normal, I used to be a gym rat never missed. Being in good shape prior to my surgery really helped my recovery. I still have pain. My left leg will drag when I get tired . After six months my energy level has not returned a combination of heart issues and continuing recovery. I would be interested to hear from others about their energy levels, has it returned. After a week of work Saturday's are spent recovering from the work week. At six months I feel progress but it is so small it is difficult to quantify. At end of May I see my surgeon and get a report on progress of the fusion.
Sign In or Register to comment.