Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.


Had spinal cord stimulator implanted thursday. i had a paddle impanted so they cut my vrtibre to get it in and had to cut extra cuz had trouble fitting it just right. i was in surgery for 3.5 hrs.,stayed two nights in hospital. same drugs for pain that had before just added some valium. i am sooo sore. im staying at my moms so she can tske care ovf me, im unable to do much of anything at all. my first receck is thursday, they will turn the unit on then. have others of u had the paddle? how long until u felt human agan?


  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 558
    edited 04/14/2013 - 4:03 PM
    I almost sent you a message before your implant. The surgeons just don't get it and think its a easy surgery.
    They placed my paddles and woke me up to test the coverage. It was not going up high enough so out again and another two laminectomys (4) total in the T spine. Worst surgery I had . It does get better in about five days.
    At least mine was on when I left the hospital the same day of implant. The SCS helped some of the old pain but the Tspine pain was something else. My surgeon wanted me out of the hospital to reduce any chance of infection. That first night home was pretty tuff as you now know. It does get better and I would do it again if I had too.

    Good luck
  • Just checkig in to see if things are getting any better yet?
  • advertisement
  • SoftballmomSSoftballmom Posts: 52
    edited 04/18/2013 - 6:42 PM
    I sent you a PM before knowing you had your surgery date changed. I'm so happy for you that they got you in sooner! That first night is the worst! I was in a whole lot of pain and stayed overnight. My husband had to help me a lot for the the next few days because I was so tender from the incisions and the battery pack. My neck took the longest to feel better--I think that I just got used to maneuvering myself to avoid any weight on the battery site but there is not much that helped my neck and that upper incision except ice, ice, and more ice! I think the ice brought down the inflammation and made the pain subside quicker. My paddle is at the nape of my neck and then I have incisions in my mid back and upper left butt (where the battery pack is located). However, it sounds like they had to do more internally with you than they did with me so it may take awhile longer for the pain to subside. I'm thinking about you and hope you start to feeling better soon! That was smart of you to go to your moms so she could help you! My husband was so helpful and would constantly refill my ice packs and give me my pain meds on time to stay on top of the pain! Are your boys with you at your moms too? My kids were awesome and would make me pictures and write me cute notes which really helped me laugh and forget about the pain :-)
    Please let us know how you are doing! I'm sending positive thoughts your way! Hang in there! Hopefully you will be up and around in no time! A
  • pandqmamappandqmama Posts: 172
    edited 04/21/2013 - 2:11 PM
    I am improving every day, improving enough that my old pain comes through stronger now some than my surgical sites. Thank you rickalas and softball mom for your kind words and thoughts.

    I have three settings right now, how many did each of you start with and how often did you see your rep in the start. I don't have my next scheduled visit with her for three weeks, I feel like that is too long. \

  • I answered some of this on your other thread.
    A couple of questions for you would be how many days before you were back to normal. Mime was five bad days before returning to normal after the implant with laminectomys.

    You should be able to adjust your unit to make it feel better for you now before going in for the visit with the rep.
    My first visit was two weeks after implant. They reprogramed and showed my how to charge the unit at that visit.
    All very easy . If you do not understand your adjustments that you may make it should have instructions in your book.
    Don't be afraid to work with it and play with it for a coverage that helps you. They may have shown this to you in the
    recovery room when you were out of it. Remember laying in different positions will also change the coverage.
    ALWAYS have the remote with you to make changes or turn it off.
    Did they give you your charger in the black case in the hospital or did your rep keep it?

    Any questions please ask
  • advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.