Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Disk protrusion getting worse

First of all thank you for a fantastic informative forum.I am new to all this so please forgive me if I am a bit vague or naive in my comments.It all started back in december 2012 when I suffered a disk protrusion in the l4 5 area whilst carrying out some training at work. I am a firefighter and was told to wear our PPE in an incorrect manor. I am ex forces so I do as I am asked and ask questions later (although I did mention my concerns to the instructor).Any way as the training finished I stood and felt my ba set start to fall as the straps were loosened. As I went to catch it I felt a pull in my lower back.I carried on for a few days with paracetomol and hoped it would pass.After 3 days I awoke to find I could not move at all and was on the floor in tears (much to the amusement of my daughter). I was immobile for a number of days and eventually managed to get myself to the hospita . At this point I had severe low back pain and slight tingling in my right leg.I was given lots of drugs including tramadol codeine and Diazepam and sent on my merry way.Things got progressively worse over the next few weeks and my leg pain shifted to my left hip and leg. This is pain like I could not even begin to explain.I had an mri a few months layer ( thanks to the nhs waiting list) and was diagnosed with l4 5 central disk protrusion and mild degenerative changes to lower lumber area with no nerve compression.I started physio and have so far had 2 courses of traction which were ceased after my symptoms worsened. My hip and leg pain is now excruciating and I cannot sit for long nor walk for long and the only rest bite is lying on a hard surface or on my right side.Also I have got extremely weak in my left leg which gives in quite regularly causing me to fall. Hence I do not go out very often.I have also had Accupuncture last week which did not do anything wxcept make me more sleepy.I currently take tramadol and anti inflam and am seeing my orthopedic surgeon next week.My questions are.Will this get better as it has been soooo long now with absolutely no improvement ?How can I have leg and hip pain with no nerve impingement?What are the best meds to be taking to control tje pain?Work is pitting lots of pressure on and I am now starting to feel fed up which is not my usual get on with it character.I am worried my fire fighting days are over but my main concern is getting fit.Any help or similar stories would be great please.Thanks in advance for any help.Also my ortho physician has told me to be as active as possible and it will not cause any more damage but my physiotherapists say I am doing to much and calm down.What do I do?Regards
advertisement

Comments

• Nikos... I have a similar problem to yourself mate
    My disc is protruding at L5 and pinching down onto the S1 Nerve, causing all the problems in my left leg. Weakness, pain, pins and needles etc.
    I too have suffered the NHS and it's apparent reluctance to treat this kind of problem with anything much more than pills.
    So I have paid privately and had my first epidural injection recently. The problems in the left leg and buttock are a little improved so far, but there's not been a great deal of noticeable improvement.
    My main issue is sitting.. I start to get pain down my left leg pretty quickly when I'm sitting in a chair, which is a massive nuisance when trying to work at a PC, sit down to eat a meal etc..
    I've basically either been standing or lying down for months now. Following the injection, I've been able to sit for a bit longer but still not for long... VERY frustrating.
    I'm about to return to work soon on a phased return, having to take holiday to make up those hours which I shall miss for the next four weeks. Occupational Health at work have been, thus far, very understanding.
    So the biggest problem I've had has not really been with my lower back, but with my buttocks and legs, especially on the left side. I take tramadol, diclofenac and amitryptiline at night.
    I can't help worrying that the only way to go in the future will be a partial discectomy, something which puts the fear of God into me.
    So I know where you are coming from. See whether you can get an epidural shot.. It works very well for some apparently. And be assertive with the health services. Try to get as much knowledge on the subject as you can and then you'll be able to not just be fobbed off with stuff.
  • Hi Colin.
    Thanks for your info. Im sorry your going through it too and had to go private. It seems your injection gave you slight relief then? Thats great because ANY relief would be welcome
    I will look into private then. I didnt realise you could.
    Unfortunately I still have a horrendous back also which feels like it keeps "going" if you know what I mean. The tramadol does help with this.
    Its great to speak to someone with a similar problem though as I feel im going mad and making it up due to the docs fobbing me off.
    Unfortunately my occy health have not been as understanding and want a return soon which will be a struggle.
    But I will definitely look into the epi.
    Thanks alot pal and I hope things improve. The surgery scares the hell out of me also but s yet not bee mentioned thank goodness.
  • advertisement
  • Hi Colin.
    Thanks for your info. Im sorry your going through it too and had to go private. It seems your injection gave you slight relief then? Thats great because ANY relief would be welcome
    I will look into private then. I didnt realise you could.
    Unfortunately I still have a horrendous back also which feels like it keeps "going" if you know what I mean. The tramadol does help with this.
    Its great to speak to someone with a similar problem though as I feel im going mad and making it up due to the docs fobbing me off.
    Unfortunately my occy health have not been as understanding and want a return soon which will be a struggle.
    But I will definitely look into the epi.
    Thanks alot pal and I hope things improve. The surgery scares the hell out of me also but s yet not bee mentioned thank goodness.
This discussion has been closed.