Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

ESI for intermittent back pain?

Hello,

Please see my signature for my history. I have had 2 microdiscectomies and deal with intermittent low grade back pain. It is rated at a 1-3 and I usually experience it daily (not the whole day) or every 2-3 days. Days that involve lots of sitting or standing still create pain. If I try to do strength training with light weight (25-30) then I will also develop pain. I have been seeing a chiropractor and doing acupuncture, but it does not seem to help long term. I want to continue being active and sitting is just a part of life. I know that my back pain is low on the pain scale, but would ESI be something that could help with my situation or is my pain considered too low on the scale for an ESI?

The reason I ask now is because my surgeon referred me to get an ESI for my recent herniation. It has been 7 weeks since my recent herniation and 1 week since I saw my surgeon. I am very glad to report that the sciatic pain is almost gone. It was 50% better when I spoke with my surgeon on May 15th and has really improved this past week. The office has not called me yet to set up an ESI appointment. I was thinking about canceling it since the sciatic pain is almost gone, but the back pain that I experienced prior to my recent herniation is still there and I am wondering if I should keep the appointment and talk to the pain management doctor about my low grade back pain.

Thoughts? I've always been stuck in this pain range that doesn't require serious treatment, but I am 22 and if I can get relief I would like it.
25 years old: Herniated L4-L5, L5-S1 December 2008. L4-L5 microdiscectomy Sept 2010. L5-S1 microdiscectomy March 2012. Redo L4-L5 microdiscectomy Sept 2013. Redo microdiscectomy Oct 2015.
advertisement

Comments

• SpineyKD23SSpineyKD23 IllinoisPosts: 97
    Just a side note:
    I had 2 ESIs a when I originally injured my back. They provided 3-4 months of relief and I had no side effects.
    25 years old: Herniated L4-L5, L5-S1 December 2008. L4-L5 microdiscectomy Sept 2010. L5-S1 microdiscectomy March 2012. Redo L4-L5 microdiscectomy Sept 2013. Redo microdiscectomy Oct 2015.