Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

how did your back pain start?

advertisement

Comments

• I know how some of my problems started....some not so much...lol...

My back problems started when I was a teen, and have gotten progressively worse over the years, to where I have ended up having to call 911 (on advice from my doc at the time) because I couldn't move without screaming....which in turn, would cause more pain!!
    I have only recently found out that I have a biological uncle w/ spina bifida also....and there are several more health related things I am sure...lol
    I "broke" horses as a teen, got hit by a few cars riding my bike (nothing serious though), and worked as a dog groomers asst. for over 20 years....THIS is where I think most of my worst back issues come into play!! My boss was sick, so, being the strong gal that I was, would life ALL of the dogs into the waist high tub.....everything from shepherds, to sheepdogs and mtn. dogs to poodles.....the first time I ended up in the hosp was from taking a poodle mix out of the tub, turning to put her in a cage, and dropped to my knees!! Felt like someone shot me! A poodle!! Couldn't get out of bed...hosp sent ambulance to get me since I couldn't move....I am 35
    -Susan
  • Ouch! I can unfortunately see myself doing something like that too...........7 surgeries? How are you doing now?
  • advertisement
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,111
    As far as my cervical area goes, it is as good as it going to get. My recovery far exceeded my surgeons expectations. Dont get me wrong I still have bad days with my neck that require medication.. 5 surgeries were cervical fusions and 2 lower lumbar decompressions without fusion. I am currently dealing with a lumbar infection and am in need of fusion but according to my surgeon it is too dangerous with the on going infection. So Im stuck with the pain for the next year
    Susan
  • Grayghost76GGrayghost76 Posts: 2
    edited 06/02/2013 - 6:55 PM
    I have read most of the stories above and am moved at the suffering. I have had back trouble on and off for many years but it always went away - until about 18 months ago. I was lifting something at work and something went out. At first it didn't seem bad but as the days went by it got worse so I went to the doctor utilizing workers comp. So began my long travail with a slow and insensitive system.
    I was still able to work at that point. Theysent me to get an MRI which showed stenosis and a herniated disk at L3 and L5 I think. The orthopedic doctor wanted to do some epidurals and physical therapy but the insurance company balked. I had gone through numerous pain medications up to this point without major improvement. Soon he was recommending a laminectomy. Unfortunately the insurance company higher-ups said no.
    The refusal to act began a long legal battle that continues to this day. I am bent over, often sharply, to the right as I walk and suffer serious low back pain. I get awful pain in my left leg. As sciatica run down the BACK of your leg I am confused about what is going on as most of my leg pain is in the front of the thigh or the outer shin.
    Frustrated about w.c. inaction I got some relief on my own, through my regular insurance plan, and went to a pain managemnet doctor who did 3 epidurals. The result was inconclusive. It was not a dramatic improvemnt. I also got a lot of physical therapy. At first it seemed to work, but then I had renewed difficulties and they didn't want to touch me.
    In a recent visit to a PCP I was rebuffed for seeking treatment for a w.c.matter. But honestly I don't know it the accident was the cause of my difficulties or something else is going on.
    So here I sit. Insurance is still refusing to budge and I can't get any care. I have not been able to work for 16 months now but fortunately I have a little money coming in. So I hobble around town going to the store or the library and am embarrassed to not be able to stand up straight. I keep thinking this isn't real, but every morning I wake up exhausted and in pain and moving about, trying to get things done has me practically crying to rest before long. I think the pain has me depressed but I don't like anti-depressant pills. I often take hydrocodone but it doesn't work that well. Perhaps it is not enough. What's going to happen I know not.
    I live alone and don't have much human contact.
    Grayghost76
  • I place the blame for most of my back problems on heredity and 20 years working on Submarines and Ships. Heavy seas and steel decks (floors) can put a strain and pain in your back and neck. Add to it that I used to love to run. After I quit smoking I decided to run marathons and would run one a year. In 2003 while preparing for the Marine Corp Marathon I would have to visit a chiropractor every week just to keep the training going. hindsight I should have realized my body was trying to tell me I was done running.
    I made it to about mile 20 and then couldn't run anymore, my back was killing me and even a slow job made it worse. I should have stopped but having never quit I walked the last 6 miles. When I went to my PCP he took x-rays and could see the arthritis and ordered an MRI, when I went in for the results he told me my running days were over.
    I managed to make it to 2008 before having to have a laminectomy at c4/c5. I am currently doing nightly traction for my neck and cervical and lumbar facet injections as well as bilateral lumbar foraminal injections trying to put off 3 level fusions in both cervical and lumbar regions.
    In additon to back issues arthritis has taken out my right knee and I've had a partial and a revision to full knee replacment and still experiencing hemarthrosis (bleeding in the knee causing swelling and inflamation) that I'm trying to get straithened out. As some of you know having knee or leg problems doesn't help a person with spinal issues as it can through your back completely out of wack.
    Truly appreciate this site and the help everyone gives freely.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • advertisement
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
    edited 06/03/2013 - 10:02 AM
    dav
    like it was with me and i previously posted, i think a lot of running was the main culprit with my back going out, stenosis, disc herniation, and sciatica. the constant pounding of the feet on the ground puts stress on one's back. i did 10 miles a day, 70 miles a week for years plus supliment with tennis. a lot of stress, no wonder my back and my right leg is a mess.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • jlrfrye said:
    As far as my cervical area goes, it is as good as it going to get. My recovery far exceeded my surgeons expectations. Dont get me wrong I still have bad days with my neck that require medication.. 5 surgeries were cervical fusions and 2 lower lumbar decompressions without fusion. I am currently dealing with a lumbar infection and am in need of fusion but according to my surgeon it is too dangerous with the on going infection. So Im stuck with the pain for the next year
    Susan
    Hi Susan,
    I think that I recall reading that you had an infection, discitis? Or am I mistaken? It is going to take a year before they can go ahead with another surgery? I can understand the fear about the infection worsening or spreading due to any surgery, that's the last thing that anyone would want. I assume they have a pic line for antibiotics inserted to treat the infection?
    You sure have been through the wringer, when it comes to back and neck issues.
    I'm sorry for all that you are going through but I think you just became my new hero...I'm not sure that I could face all of that, and keep my head together.
    Sandi
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,269
    edited 06/04/2013 - 5:33 AM
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

dilauro

tamtam

Liz

Sandi

JellyHall

***********************************************************************************************
    First, I want to welcome you, and secondly to reassure you that you aren't alone. There are many of our members who have been where you are right now, and will be here to support you as much as we can.
    Have you consulted with a WC attorney? If not, that is the first thing that I would do , is check your phone book and start calling. Almost all attorney have a free one hour consultation. You can find out a bunch of information in that one hour, when you contact multiple attorney's and ask different questions.
    You and your doctor do have the right to appeal the decisions made by WC, but it is far easier when there is an attorney involved.
    Please hang in there, and make a few phone calls, let's see if we can get you on the road to some treatment...
    Sandi
  • For me it was a head on collision while out working. I thought I was fine at first a friend demanded I go seek medical help, not wanting to use the ER, I decided to go to my primary, and he said "well you seem fine take some advil and go to bed". I did the next day I woke in horrific pain. The accident was on a Thursday by Sunday I was in the ER. What lead up to the following 6 surgeries was a series of bad luck. First the pseudo, then hardware rejection, next a plate placed wrong. and finally cauda. Some of the medical treatments were delayed due to being work comp, which I think complicated things. Returning to a job I was no longer fit for, and so on. Of course adjacent disc disease was a huge issue. I was to be the picture perfect patient, otherwise healthy, a gym nut, but that was not in the cards. I tend to believe things happen for a reason and now am beginning to find the reasoning in it. I do know one thing as far as being a person, I will say my injuries overall have made me a better person. But it took a long time to come full circle to accept it. While I don't like being in constant pain, and needing more surgery, I do like the person I am becoming. Sure i might have become this person in the end, but I doubt it. I try not to relieve those early days, as it serves no purpose to me or discuss what I can't do any longer, just look forward to learning new things and who I can become.
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
    edited 06/04/2013 - 6:04 AM
    couple of my extra surgeries were due to the doctor taking the unnecessary hardware out to see if it improved the pain. it did not. one has to wait for 2 years to get this done by the way. they have to make sure the bone glue has hardened completely around the screws and the other metals. that is why one has to take it easy for at least a year to let everything cure and harden. i did not do it once, had to attend a teacher conference about 2 months after a fusion, told the principal and she basically said, screw off, you have to be there. so i went and what do you know my fusion at the disc broke and i had to have more surgery to fix it, last may. the doctor said i could not prove that this was the problem but i know it was. don't do more than you have to after a fusion or something will happen.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.