Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

how did your back pain start?

Comments

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,111
    I have osteomylitis and discitis. Ive already done the 7 weeks of IV antibiotics ( 24 hrs a day). I am currently now on the oral. Yes Ive been thru the wringer but I just keep carrying on. Lol. What choice do I have. I am lucky, I still can walk and still am working 40 hrs per week. Trust me without my meds that would not be possible. I wake up every morning at 3 am to get my meds in me and working so I can leave the house by 5:30 for work. It would be too easy for me to give up and go the social security route but I keep telling myself a few more months of work then Ill call it quits but when its time I tell myself just a few more months. That has been going on now for about a year. One day soon though, each day gets harder and harder for me. I have a appointment with the surgeon on the 29th so who knows what he is going to do. Every time I see him he tells me something differrent. Dont think of me as a hero , there are so many others here that are worse off then I........the men and woman who served our country , whos bodies are broken down due their occupation., military, police, fire and EMS, border patrol and list goes on. Those are my heros. But thanks for saying that , it put a smile on my face
    Susan
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,269
    edited 06/05/2013 - 6:07 PM
    posts makes one realize that as much as we might all have gone through individually, there are others who have gone through their own heck of a journey, and are to be admired for their own perserverance and determination to keep going, no matter what life throws at them.
    My husband and daughter are amongst those that Susan called hero's, and I agree, they are the true heros, but there are also warriors might be a better term than heros amongst our members too, and there are a bunch of them spread throughout these forums.
    Sandi
  • advertisement
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,111
    Warriors I LOVE it!!!!! Each and every one of us faces a battle with our illness. If your not a warrior prior to spine issues you most surley will be one after. I read post of members who struggle daily but still seem to find a way to make life work for them. It may of not been the life they were hoping for but have managed to comes to terms with what life has thrown at them and dealt with accordingly. Doing whatever it takes to make one feel better, both physically and mentally. And Sandi please thank your husband and daughter for me. It takes a special person to do what they do, I dont know how you keep your sanity with both working as public service. My son is a firefighter/EMT and everytime I hear the tone drop I dont rest until he is home safe. Yes they have chosen tough professions but if you look into the hearts of said individuals you find the BIGGEST heart of all.
    Susan
  • Susan, your morning routine sounds exactly like mine, except I get up at 4am to leave the house at 6:30 to go to work. I also love that time of the morning because I get to be selfish and have alone time, its really the only alone time I get, so I also take advantage of it and watch Law and Order and old "Married with Children" episodes. 8-)
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
    edited 06/06/2013 - 4:41 AM
    ms ohio
    just a few months to football season to help us get our minds off of pain. you said you are a ohio st fan and they are being picked to play in the bsc championship game. i am a season ticket holder for san jose state and we were ranked 21st last year. even with back pain and walking issues, i make it to all the home games every year. i have been season ticket holder for 26 years and for the most part have not missed any home games. i hobble with my cane, walk up stairs slowly and the fans next to me help me if there are issues. they have gotten myself and wife, drinks, not alcohol, and food. everyone is nice and helpful. see there are people who care for people who are in pain.
    go bucks , go spartans
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • advertisement
  • Heck yea Jon! My favorite player graduated last year; Sanzenbacher. He is a really nice young man, believe it or not.

That's awesome that you can still enjoy going to the games. Sometimes we just have to figure out a way to continue some of the things we love. 8-) Its funny because I am also a rail fan, where for those not in the know, we photograph trains. I know it sounds funny but hey I like it. LOL 8-) anyway, it's hard on the back, legs, and feet standing next to the tracks so my dear hubby now brings along a lawn chair and cushions for me to sit on so i can still go out and enjoy it.
  • It was a Sunday morning, February 17, 2006. I was sitting at the table reading the Sunday paper when I started to feel a stabbing pain in my lower back. I went through the rest of the day with it getting progressively worse. That night I spiked a fever, vomiting, and total body convulsions. Think of chills and multiply it by 100. After a week of being very sick and being misdiagnosed by 2 different doctors, I was no longer able to walk and was rushed by ambulance to the hospital. Long story short, I had an epidural abscess in the L 2 area pressing on my spinal cord. 14 days afte having my first symptoms, I was sent into Boston and had emergency surgery at midnight. I was then sent to Spaulding Rehab Hospital where they taught me how to walk and reuse my bowels and bladder again. This hospital classifies me as a spinal cord injury survivor.
    Of course the infection destroyed my spine and I had to have a 5 level fusion a year later.

Dick
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • jlrfrye said:
    Warriors I LOVE it!!!!! Each and every one of us faces a battle with our illness. If your not a warrior prior to spine issues you most surley will be one after. I read post of members who struggle daily but still seem to find a way to make life work for them. It may of not been the life they were hoping for but have managed to comes to terms with what life has thrown at them and dealt with accordingly. Doing whatever it takes to make one feel better, both physically and mentally. And Sandi please thank your husband and daughter for me. It takes a special person to do what they do, I dont know how you keep your sanity with both working as public service. My son is a firefighter/EMT and everytime I hear the tone drop I dont rest until he is home safe. Yes they have chosen tough professions but if you look into the hearts of said individuals you find the BIGGEST heart of all.
    Susan
    My husband is in his 26th year of law enforcement, and my daughter just turned 18, is graduating high school, just yesterday earned her certified nursing assistant pin , and became an EMT-B during her senior year........my oldest is majoring in criminal justice as well. Public service is a family career here in my household and I couldn't be prouder of that fact. I know all too well that sound and feeling that comes over you when you know that those tones are sounding and calling them away. I know that I don't sleep until I get a call telling me that it's all okay and then the door opens and in they come .
    But, I am proud of who they are, and what they do, and am grateful that they all care enough to be the ones running to, not away.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,527
    edited 06/06/2013 - 7:40 PM
    the people that give of themselves to help others are folks that should be admired!
    Policeman, Fireman, EMTs, Nurses, PAs and much more are people that give so much to others.
    We are all fortunate that there that are folks like that. My deepest thanks to all that have served us.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.