Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Herniated Disc L4/L5 - Need advise HELP!

Comments

• catfishmanccatfishman Posts: 185
    edited 06/16/2013 - 9:13 AM
    i have had 4 they are not that bad at all, well not for me.the reliefdid not last long though. i went to work right afterwards, probably not the best idea.
  • Hey Danny,
    I know everybody has different results and has to make the tough decisions and I did also. I decided that the pain was way too intense plus I completely lost all feeling in my right foot and the loss was slowly moving up my leg. I had L4-L5 discectomy surgery new years eve 2008, I was 47 yr old and would do it again if needed, the pain was completely gone, feeling in my foot returned within a week and within a year I was able to run again, not as smoothly, meaning I'll not break any track records just because some of the nerve was damaged. It was a saving grace to me. I know it's tough decision Danny, just do what your gut says and good luck!!
  • advertisement
  • Danny1978 said:
    So I saw my Dr on Friday. He still doesn't feel that surgery will be beneficial for me. He has changed my meds and I am now on Lyrical, Mobid (i think) for the inflammation and a new muscle relaxer called Soma. We are also going to try an epidural injection this time. God I hope it works. Has anyone had an Epidural injection and can share thier experiences?
    epidural injections do not hurt at all, i was so scared the first time i got there that the doctor prescribed me valium to calm my nerves but he numbed the injection site, waited a few seconds and hes like can you feel that and i was like no why he said because the needle is in your back, so needless to say i didnt feel anything i didnt even know the needle was in my backm he then put contrast in back to see on the xray where he needed to put the medication. the cortisone when he first put it in stung a little but that was it and i felt pressure. Tinjection site was very sore for a few days but just felt like a bad bruise. i had some reaction to it which they said was normal i had bad headaches the night of and felt nausious but it was gone the next day. I had two of those shots and they worked for a couple weeks and thats it now it seems like the pain is worse.
    DTHKMH09
  • I have had the same lower back problem and recently a spinal fusion at L5 - S1. that is a more serious operation. If you can give it up to a year the disk can shrink and the pain may go away. If you get numbness in you leg you may need the operation. For night pain try Flexerill or Methocarbamol (2 x 500mg) instead of Valium or if the Soma doesn't work. Taken with a pain med like Tramadol and Tylenol it can help a lot. Much of the pain is caused by muscle spasms. I also take one Neurontin at night but found that taking more caused me to feel spaced out all day. Vicodin is normally mixed with acetaminophen which is not deadly but just don't take extra Tylenol with it and no alcohol.
  • Tammy123TTammy123 Posts: 1
    edited 12/17/2013 - 7:50 AM
    Hi Danny,

I have been through exactly what you are experiencing. Over the last 3 years, I have had 2 discectomys and a spinal fusion on the L5/S1. Two of the surgeries happened this year with the fusion being done on 10/28. I have had the injections and the epidural. None of it worked. You need surgery to fix this problem so go get a second opinion if your doctor is not offering this as a solution. I agree with the member who said be cautious with the chiropractor. I would not see a chiropractor AT ALL as they could actually make your situation worse (especially if they are unfamiliar with a herniated disc). Make sure you find out how many MM the disc is out. Also, find out if a microdiscectomy is actually going to fix this problem or if they need to go ahead and give you a fusion. I have been battling this for 3 years and wasted a lot of time and heart ache by not having the fusion right away. However, everyone is different but it doesn't hurt to ask the question. Be extremely proactive about your health and do not let "conservative" measures stand in the way of you getting better. Otherwise, you will be in my situation. Good luck.
    Tammy
  • advertisement
advertisement